Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have a problem. I just added a couple snes games to the roms folder for snes9x2005. But the games I just added are not showing up on snes9x2005. They show up just fine on vita shell. But not in the emulator. I'm not sure what the problem is. Here's some info:

My vita is on 3.60 with latest version of henkaku
Snes9x2005 is version 1.36
The games were transferred with a usb cable using qcma

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm playing SF3s on FBAlpha. Skipeframe set to 1 and it plays beautiful! So glad this is happening! gonna keep updating RetroArch till no skipeframe is needed.

Hello. I have a problem. I just added a couple snes games to the roms folder for snes9x2005. But the games I just added are not showing up on snes9x2005. They show up just fine on vita shell. But not in the emulator. I'm not sure what the problem is. Here's some info:

My vita is on 3.60 with latest version of henkaku
Snes9x2005 is version 1.36
The games were transferred with a usb cable using qcma
Did you move them with Vitashell? That must be the case. You need to copy and paste them when moving from one folder to another.
Don't remember the reason (something like "moving" doesn't gives the right properties to the file, while "copy and paste" does).
Hope it works.

Last edited by Zukov,

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing SF3s on FBAlpha. Skipeframe set to 1 and it plays beautiful! So glad this is happening! gonna keep updating RetroArch till no skipeframe is needed.

Did you move them with Vitashell? That must be the case. You need to copy and paste them when moving from one folder to another.
Don't remember the reason (something like "moving" doesn't gives the right properties to the file, while "copy and paste" does).
Hope it works.
I did this. But it still didn't work. Games won't show up. Guess I'll be buying a gpd xd plus.

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I did this. But it still didn't work. Games won't show up. Guess I'll be buying a gpd xd plus.
It may be the format also.

Try other roms.
Or try other method to pass your roms to the Vita: direcly from Vitashell through USB (press Select, you need to have USB to mount instead of FTP on Vitashell menu -press Start to that menu-) .

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure they are not still in the Zip File, and make sure they are .sfc File type. Should show up and run good. I remember reading that SNES2010 was better for quite a few Games. Something about lag or stuttering in the 2005 Core

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

30/09 nightly is huge improvement on fbalpha core, on par or maybe better than pfba (outrun is working flawless). Too bad retroarch is not working on PSTV after 1.7.3 (launch a rom make you back to livearena) but it's working fine on normal vita.

Edit : retroarch 1.7.5 is out but same problem with Playstation TV sadly. There is a workaround though. You need to launch a game compatible with the current core, but from load content, choose directory and get the "current core". After you can use retroarch normally.

Last edited by FmT,
Reactions: Zukov and Smoker1

01y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
How do you compile an individual (official) core? Set the $(platform) variable to "vita" when running make, and it successfully(?) outputs an .a file, but I need a .self file, is that right?

Unrelated(?), is there a quick way to fix the garbage horizontal lines that appear in Super Metroid under snes9x 2005 near the top of the screen? s9x2010 fixes it but is too slow.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
30/09 nightly is huge improvement on fbalpha core, on par or maybe better than pfba (outrun is working flawless). Too bad retroarch is not working on PSTV after 1.7.3 (launch a rom make you back to livearena) but it's working fine on normal vita.

Edit : retroarch 1.7.5 is out but same problem with Playstation TV sadly. There is a workaround though. You need to launch a game compatible with the current core, but from load content, choose directory and get the "current core". After you can use retroarch normally.

OK, I've told frangarcj about this. Hopefully he can help with this.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've told frangarcj about this. Hopefully he can help with this.

I tried the C64 core again, and I found that turning threaded video on gives a large speed increase (5-10 fps). I think this is the reason I got Master of The Lamps to run in full speed 50 fps without frameskip before. Without threaded video, the fps dipped to 46 during the 3D levels.

Has anyone tried threaded video in other cores? You might get a huge speed increase.

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
30/09 nightly is huge improvement on fbalpha core, on par or maybe better than pfba (outrun is working flawless).
Well I tested the last stable version (1.75) and FBAlpha is unplayable again, so gonna put the self from 30/09. Thanks, this nightly core really seems faster, but I still need to put skipeframe:1 on SF3s

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could it be that vita threading code is not optimized/correct?

Anyway what about extended memory mode? (It is not enabled)

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But on Switch, threaded video works wonders and SF3 runs full speed. It is good to own a Switch.
Lucky for switch owners they don't even have to worry about trying to emulate street fighter 3 since the street fighter 30th anniversary collection came out on the system. It's the vita that needs to emulate it.

Reactions: Zukov

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the Vita can get looked into more, to see what can be run on it. Been asking around, and it seems like a good amount feel the Vita can handle more, if properly made.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please frangarj, we all want SF3s running flawless and is kind of close!
VERY close to perfect. I asked on EmuParadise's Facebook Page, and it seems like the Vita got more Votes, as to my Question on which Device would be better for use of Emulation. The Device I compared it to was the GPD XD .

GPD XD Specs:
Rockchip RK3288 / ARM Cortex-A17 / 2GB DDR3-SDRAM / ARM Mali-T764 / 1280x720p

Vita Specs:
Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore / 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM / Quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+ / 960x544 qHD

Now looking at those Specs, the Vita Wins in a few areas. Both have ARM. The XD can run N64, and under RetroArch, can run MAME2010, MAME2014, and MAME2016, but it warms up a bit with 2014/2016. Also, the XD runs VirtualBoy PERFECTLY. Can even run Brutal Doom (with the Doom Touch App). So if the Vita can beat the XD........think we have only scratched the surface of what the Vita can run. So hopefully we will eventually see this Device become a badass Emulation System with RetroArch, and any other Emulator/App.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1