Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Imhullu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I use disc-based games(basically any large size game) in Retroarch using an SD2Vita, will I still encounter the issue where going into standby/sleep mode caused the emulator to fail to read the disc?

dragonz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you guys deleted un-wanted cores because
I downloaded and installed the latest stable version of Retroarch successfully but it came
with a bunch of Emulators I really want to get rid of, is it possible to hide some cores or
do I need use shell or windows explorer to delete them.

Any advice would be ace , Thanks!:yayps3:

Gingasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I get Error 0xFFFFFFFF when I click install in VitaShell for RetroArch.vpk. I have version 3.68, and have H-Encore installed. I followed this video . One thing I did originally was drag the wrong Retroarch folder over into Data. I had the wrong folder open and dragged the Retroarch PC install folder in there, which was a huge mistake. I did attempt to install the vpk after that before I realized I had dragged the wrong files, however it errored and I backtracked to figure it out.

From there I deleted the files I had added to the Vita for retroarch and attempted to restart the process from the beginning of the video, however now the error comes up instantly. What can I do to remedy this?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me, or is the Controls In-Menu being a damn pain????? Left and Right, is supposed to skip through the Menu, with Up and Down supposed to go 1 at a time......but it is acting like it has a mind of it's own. Randomly jumping when I am wanting to go up or down, or just not working. In-Game, there is no problem. But in the Menu, is being a BIG problem.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is it me, or is the Controls In-Menu being a damn pain????? Left and Right, is supposed to skip through the Menu, with Up and Down supposed to go 1 at a time......but it is acting like it has a mind of it's own. Randomly jumping when I am wanting to go up or down, or just not working. In-Game, there is no problem. But in the Menu, is being a BIG problem.

Menus worked fine for me under 1.7.3 and still OK under 1.7.4.
Possibly you re-bound the inputs at some point. You could try renaming ux0:data/retroarch/retroarch.cfg and see if it resolves it.

I'm not sure about the jumping around part.
The analogue sticks on vita 2000s do have a very common issue of starting to glitch and give input in random directions. My left stick occasionally acts like I'm moving it right and up (not related to retroarch in any way). Your sig lists vita 1000 models though so no idea.

Last edited by Count Duckula,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Menus worked fine for me under 1.7.3 and still OK under 1.7.4.
Possibly you re-bound the inputs at some point. You could try renaming ux0:data/retroarch/retroarch.cfg and see if it resolves it.

I'm not sure about the jumping around part.
The analogue sticks on vita 2000s do have a very common issue of starting to glitch and give input in random directions. My left stick occasionally acts like I'm moving it right and up (not related to retroarch in any way). Your sig lists vita 1000 models though so no idea.
No, I Uninstalled the old Build, and Installed the newest Nightly. Was still having the Issue. Will check out the .cfg File later. Damn Bills and such :(

Edit: @Count Duckula , yup. That worked. DPad is now functioning normally after Deleting the old .cfg Files

Edit II : Anyone know if the Cheats created from RetroArch are the same across other Devices? Thinking that if the FBA Core (all in one) is the CURRENT Build, then Users can share Cheats that have been found/created. For example:
sfa.zip
FB Alpha v0.2.97.43 6f85b5d
Cheat0_ Address - 44552

The Cheat I found was for the Inf Fight Time. So far, it seems to be working with no Issues.

Edit III : Slight problem with the Cheat Search. I have tried running Searches under PrBoom and on sfzch (FBA (Latest) Core). For some reason, I can not run Searches. I begin the Search, go back to the Game, wait for something to change like Ammo Count or Time goes lower, then I try to go for exact Value or Less than before, but it tells me that the Search has not been started, when I did.

Edit IV : I have created a GitHub Page with all the Cheats I have Created so far. I have also, created a Instruction List on how to find Cheats based on what I have been able to do so far. This also includes a way to create Cheats without needing to Search for them, based on how the Cheats Addresses are shown.

NOTE: I am not sure, but I think there my be a Issue with the 3DS RetroArch Build with the Cheat System. I can not even start a Search, nor can I use a Cheat File created on another System, even when they should match. The Cheats I created for sfa on both my Vita and Android Device are exactly the same, therefor should work on other Systems. Recommend using Gateway, NTR if possible, or any other Cheat Search/Creating Tool until the Problem is taken care of.

Last edited by Smoker1,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the Double Post, but there seems to be a Issue with the
2018-08-31 Build of RetroArch and the SD2Vita Adapter. For the past few Days, been working with RA, and it will cause Issues with the Adapter. Suddenly, you will not be able to Access it, not even VitaShell can see it, or at times, show there is nothing ON the Card. Even pFBA will not show anything. But it requires you to Power Off the Device, Remove the Adapter, then Re-seat it back in. Then it will work again.
Been running pFBA for about a Hour now, a few different Games, and so far no Issues. Have not touched RetroArch since the last Power Off.

elrayo

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I can't find the save data option in the menu. Like, when I press the buttons to activate menu I can only see the "new content" section but not the "save state" option. Any help?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
im having this issue with retroarcb on vita that is not present on pc. the thing is, on a pc if i load specific, lets say, gba game, game with one core out of 2 gba cores, i can easily withinn the game menu later change to load with a different core.

but on vita, once i load with one core (the wrong one accidentally) im stuck on that core and it will always load with that core i loaded the first time.

Is there a way to easily change core, this is getting annoying...

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the game is running you can't swap it but when you go to select the game it should allow you to reset the core.

Here's a few screenshots
(It's unfortunate GBA doesn't run well on retroarch but via adrenaline it does)

IMG_20180911_161005.jpg IMG_20180911_161013.jpg

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
If the game is running you can't swap it but when you go to select the game it should allow you to reset the core.

Here's a few screenshots
(It's unfortunate GBA doesn't run well on retroarch but via adrenaline it does)

View attachment 142937 View attachment 142935
Thanks!

Also, what?! GBA runs nearly perfect on retroarch on vita!
in adrenaline (if you mean GBA emulator for PSP) it runs poorly there.
Only few games have some performance issues, and i tried a lot of games. advance wars have issues on menu with sound and thats all i found, and dragon ball advanced adventure it has slowdowns here and there and that is all i found. On psp however i had ton of problems with gba emulation.

VBAnext is the best in retroarch on vita. I presume all vitas are the same and we use same retroarch, i dont understand how gba runs bad on yours... :wacko:

EDIT: i just saw you use gpSP. gpSP is not very good, you should use VBAnext imo.

Last edited by Metoroid0,
Reactions: Zukov

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
@Metoroid0 I have used both and both have sound stutter and framedrops in retroarch. On the other hand the PSP emu I use on adrenaline works almost flawlessly.
What you say doesn't make any sense.
If all Vita consoles are the same hardware-vise, and RetroArch is the same software-vise, there is no reason for my vita to run better than yours, and my gba emulator in adrenaline to run worst, both on original PSP console and adrenaline on vita.

It just makes no sense.... i don't see how.

Maybe something is wrong with your vita???

I mean, every game (99%) runs 60fps and with no glitches, but gba on psp/adrenaline is not so good with emulatio. certain games run good, but most have frame issues.
Also sound is good on vba next, only 2 games from my experience has sound glitches and thats minor glitches and only in certain areas.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
@Metoroid0 I just tried VBAnext and the sound is still bad. On PSP I use gbsp kai 3.4 test 4 build 225

The only plugin that would affect my retroarch is VHS but I disabled it for retroarch and it's still bad

http://wololo.net/2016/05/11/psppsvita-gba-emulator-uo-gpsp-kai-v3-4-test-4-build-225/

Why dont you try to reinstall retroarch. Delete everything and install new one fresh, maybe that will do...
I know, Kai is best gba emulator on PSP, i used to play it when i had PSP 2004, and i was happy, but for example castlevania did not ran full speed, but i beat that game wishing it ran faster (to 60fps) also i couldnt play metroid fusion properly and many other games, but they ran decent on kai. better than any other gba emulator for psp.
Than i used retroarch vba next when i bought vita and it was like a dream!

Seriously, try to reinstall retroarch to newer stable build 1.7.4
https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.4/playstation/vita/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...