Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You'd be surprised to know how tricky it is to program a "lossless sleep" function for an emulator, probably more so on RetroArch in particular. Since the Vita is unable to cache an entire CD-system's game in the RAM since they exceed the limits of the system (Only half a gig, a FRACTION of even Android devices) and is instead simply reading the files as it streams through the emulated image, currently sleep is "normal"; in that it hasn't been optimized whatsoever to account for the Vita basically "unmounting" the disc in sleep, unlike a ROM-based system where, no matter how big, it still can be cached in its entirety in the system since they are so small and is how ROM files work in the first place. This behavior is nothing new; it's been seen ever since Genesis GX's SegaCD functionality was confirmed working, where suspend and sleep modes cause the emulated disc to eject for whatever reason.

In fact, I've seen this as far back as the PSP: NJEMU's CPS2PSP was a culprit of file corruption when using the PSP Go's "Pause Game" function (Basically a predecessor to modern "suspend"), so "Pausing" and returning to the game led to garbled sprites, since the PSP ports relied so much on pre-cached files.

It probably hasn't been implemented since RetroArch was never fully optimized for this behavior, and I'm pretty sure some Windows programs exhibit this too (If I were to use my Win to test, with it being a handheld and all). Theoretically, it's a simple fix: Pause the game, and immediately "mount" the disc when the system returns to RA, this way the game won't go spastic when it finds out it was ejected. But, I'm no programmer so I can't say how hard this is to actually implement.

NES, SMS(?), PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, and GB(C/A) are supported in the RetroAchievements APIs. Though, don't quote me on it working on RA because I haven't been able to earn any in my current addiction (EarthBound), but then again, it was activated near the end of the game so nyeh.

Course, ya need an account and make sure the credentials are right on the ball and are logged off of the website before logging on RA, since I haven't seen the overlay make any status changes whether it's successful or not, and you'll need to maintain a connection (I think, though I may be wrong). Some cores have compatibility issues too, so it's not complete, but the list is here for those who are interested.

ASK AWAY. Though perhaps remaining public would be off-topic; unless others don't mind this.
Obviously not here; maybe in PM or your profile?

Anyway no news about GPU use discovered by xerpi in RA?

Last edited by Lord M,

kusanaginico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
have some questions its possible to do netplay between psvitas(or psv with pc) runing a gameboy color game(pkmn tcg great rocket dan 2) to do battles or trades using it like it was a cable link conection?
ps: sorry for my eng

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
have some questions its possible to do netplay between psvitas(or psv with pc) runing a gameboy color game(pkmn tcg great rocket dan 2) to do battles or trades using it like it was a cable link conection?
ps: sorry for my eng

The Gameboy has no wireless cable features to speak of so that's obviously no. The Color does have an IR sensor but it was rarely used in games and never replaced Link Cable features due to how inconvenient it would be (You had to stand pretty close to the other Gameboy Color and hope nothing interfered with it.) I doubt the PS Vita has the capability of recreating IR sensor transmission anyway but who knows?

Hmm, just realised you were asking something else. >.< Between PS Vitas should be possible but between a Vita and a PC, no.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, just realised you were asking something else. >.< Between PS Vitas should be possible but between a Vita and a PC, no.

TGBDual THEORETICALLY is supposed to stand-in for multiplayer GB(C). But indeed, once again, netplay is a big question mark between devices.

...Which I have expressed before.
EDIT 2: Wow I'm a dumbass and why do people listen to me?
So, the network code DOES function on Vita. It also means Netplay DOES work on Vita RA. . . In theory. However, all I have are x86_64 devices (GPD Win and my desktop) and, currently, they will NOT work across platforms (I.E., x86_64 cannot play with ARM, ARM cannot play with x86_64, etc.) even if the two devices do work with Netplay as I have tested in the past.

I DO have a Raspberry Pi 3 I can at least test that's based off the ARM codebase, so I can give that a shot. But I can only assume that, at least between Vitas, netplay SHOULD work. But, don't quote me on this please.

Still have yet to test with the Pi so I don't have a concrete answer yet.

Also, not the biggest fan of RA's Netplay: To make it simple for anyone else testing, I recommend using these settings:

> Both devices: Settings -> Network -> Netplay TCP Port. Set this to an open port on your router, can be either TCP/UDP (As the subtext hints at).
Then, Settings -> User -> Username. Set a username, or you won't be identified on the network.

> Host device: While playing a game, Main Menu -> Netplay -> Start netplay host
> Client device: While playing the same game, Main Menu -> Netplay -> Scan local network. Client's device should poof in after a few scans, and then simply toggle. It SHOULD initialize... after a few attempts.

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: pauloedsonjk

pauloedsonjk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TGBDual THEORETICALLY is supposed to stand-in for multiplayer GB(C). But indeed, once again, netplay is a big question mark between devices.

...Which I have expressed before.

Still have yet to test with the Pi so I don't have a concrete answer yet.

Also, not the biggest fan of RA's Netplay: To make it simple for anyone else testing, I recommend using these settings:

> Both devices: Settings -> Network -> Netplay TCP Port. Set this to an open port on your router, can be either TCP/UDP (As the subtext hints at).
Then, Settings -> User -> Username. Set a username, or you won't be identified on the network.

> Host device: While playing a game, Main Menu -> Netplay -> Start netplay host
> Client device: While playing the same game, Main Menu -> Netplay -> Scan local network. Client's device should poof in after a few scans, and then simply toggle. It SHOULD initialize... after a few attempts.
Understood, I'll try later, thank you.

Enviado de meu ASUS_T00J usando Tapatalk

Reactions: julio.apc16

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, scrap the Pi idea. Since RetroPie wasn't updated at all to compensate for RA's improved Netplay, I can't make it budge to do what I want. Too much a frustration to do something simple.

And with my minor Linux rant over, I'll need someone else with two Vitas to see if Netplay works.

pauloedsonjk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll need someone else with two Vitas to see if Netplay works.

da59b0276587414f8c4dfcd94de3fc81.jpg

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess you found that the DS core does not work very well.
Vita Retroarch still needs that extra oomph to work well on certain cores.
It will be coming when they master the GP in the vita.
This will take some time so just take whats working as a positive.

Also Ive been warned by Admins about double posts so just edit to add stuff if your the previous post.

Last edited by Kerbangman,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So the people showing up on the net play... are they in my area?? Like in my town? - or over wifi and could be States away, etc?

According to my results (Mind you, this is from a Desktop, Pi, and Vita), looks to be worldwide player search. At least for those who enabled Publicly Announce Netplay, anyways (Which is the default setting).

*IMAGINE IMAGE HERE*

here there is no cursor, for we can to see, but still work.

Soooo... it works? I assume not, since you mentioned the different FBA cores (Shouldn't be an issue if you're using the same FBA CPS1/2/NEO core).

pauloedsonjk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
According to my results (Mind you, this is from a Desktop, Pi, and Vita), looks to be worldwide player search. At least for those who enabled Publicly Announce Netplay, anyways (Which is the default setting).

Soooo... it works? I assume not, since you mentioned the different FBA cores (Shouldn't be an issue if you're using the same FBA CPS1/2/NEO core).
I need to resolve this differents cores and I forgot the password my router [emoji33] to open port communication.
But I can to see that others players are playng in net play.

Last edited by pauloedsonjk,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I need to resolve this cores differents and remember my password my router [emoji33] to open port communication.
But I can to see others players.

Apologies, since English clearly isn't your first language here, forgive me for the misunderstandings. (^^;
It's nice to at least have some willing test monkeys testers for this. Almost flattering seeing how far this has come.

But crikey, now I'm just feeling nostalgic here, haha.

Hopefully we'll see results!

pauloedsonjk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Apologies, since English clearly isn't your first language here, forgive me for the misunderstandings. (^^;
It's nice to at least have some willing test monkeys testers for this. Almost flattering seeing how far this has come.

But crikey, now I'm just feeling nostalgic here, haha.

Hopefully we'll see results!
Yes, my english is very bad, sorry. Tomorrow I ll try again.

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.