Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
i swear I just tried the 1.4.1, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running PCSX, and turn the vita off (sleep mode), it'll still make the Playstation 1 game freeze right after you wake it back up from sleep, right? That's my only complaint at the moment...makes playing PS1 games on a portable device nearly impossible.

Does it also happen if you go into the retroarch menu first and then go to sleep, then select resume afterwards?

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it also happen if you go into the retroarch menu first and then go to sleep, then select resume afterwards?

I haven't tried that. I try, maybe 95% of the time, to save BEFORE going to sleep - because whenever I hit that power button again and swipe down that screen to start playing again, I can usually play for maybe 5 seconds, sometimes 15, then it freezes....every single time.

My larger point however, is the Vita is an on-the-go device. You simply can't have any program freeze when you put the unit to sleep since these Vita's aren't being used like regular video game systems. You might play for a couple minutes at a time, with ZERO time available to save a game every single time before you put it to sleep, let along having to quit the program and load up the game again just to resume (because otherwise it'll freeze). I also KNOW I'm not the only one with this problem - I've read about it quite a bit.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
And it happens when you press the PS button before sleep, too I presume?

I ran into some similar problems with the Amiga emulator. It was corrupting any open files when the user pressed the PS button. So I had to disable the PS button altogether in that emulator.

I think the Vita does something disruptive when you press PS and/or make it go to sleep. At least when there are some files open.

There must be a way to fix that since all commercial games work just fine that way. It probably involves some kind of callback function that should be called just before it goes to sleep. That function has to close any open files etc. to make sure the system goes to sleep "safely" and there is no corruption when it wakes back up from sleep.

It is very strange because you would think the sleep mode should "just work" and the app should not have to do anything at all.

Last edited by rsn8887,

Filippo94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just tried running ZAS and Wario Land, both for GB, using the Gambette core, and retroarch crashed. Selecting manually the other core (EightOne?) both did work.

Why does Gambette crash? Is there a way to fix it, or to use Gambette's (or custom) color palettle?

Last edited by Filippo94,

T3CHNOLOG1C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone had any issues with launching Gameboy Advance Games? Tried Pokémon FireRed (U) (Rev 1) in gpSP and VBA Next, and they both crash with error (C2-12828-1). (PS Vita Phat 3G Model (PCH-1101) with libretro stable 1.4.1 and HENkaku R7 if that matters).

Last edited by T3CHNOLOG1C,

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone had any issues with launching Gameboy Advance Games? Tried Pokémon FireRed (U) (Rev 1) in gpSP and VBA Next, and they both crash with error (C2-12828-1). (PS Vita Phat 3G Model (PCH-1101) with libretro stable 1.4.1 and HENkaku R7 if that matters).

Just tried Poke and all OK.
Try browse file if zipped and run the GBA file

T3CHNOLOG1C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kerbangman apparently gbatemp won't let me quote on mobile, so, they were already unzipped, just realized gpSP gives a failed to load content error, while VBA Next apparently works this time wtf lmao (was about to type crashed and it worked lol) (edit: I have to run it from the file browser, can't play from playlists for some reason)(edit 2: apparently it loaded in gpSP automatically from the playlist)

Last edited by T3CHNOLOG1C,

deurk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a ScummVM standalone VPK you could try. It has its own thread on this board. Look one page back and it should be there or search for scummVM
I'm using this in the meantime, but having it all inside RetroArch would be nice as well :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What platforms are supported for Retro Achievements with lib-retro cores?

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Considering the multiple impressions and scripts I got written up on the thing, I certainly have more than a couple words to say about it.
Of course, these are the Vita forums and no dedicated space for them exists, so. . . (^^;

TL;DR: Fantastic emulation device, pretty good GOG gaming device/laptop, "meh" modern game player. Basically the OpenPandora for Windows. From China.
I really need to talk more about it some time, perhaps on here, but wouldn't know where to put such a review for it at.
I saw many videos of GDP Win, and i cant believe it. Sorry if i cant let me to stop right here from OT, but it is incredible how can handle many emulated ps2 games with such a low specs like that! :O This is mighty the most close-to perfect portable device i'd always looked for. I have so many questions; can i ask to you? Not needed to mention i dont have money to buy it, i'm anyway really interested in this one. lol

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It is very strange because you would think the sleep mode should "just work" and the app should not have to do anything at all.

You'd be surprised to know how tricky it is to program a "lossless sleep" function for an emulator, probably more so on RetroArch in particular. Since the Vita is unable to cache an entire CD-system's game in the RAM since they exceed the limits of the system (Only half a gig, a FRACTION of even Android devices) and is instead simply reading the files as it streams through the emulated image, currently sleep is "normal"; in that it hasn't been optimized whatsoever to account for the Vita basically "unmounting" the disc in sleep, unlike a ROM-based system where, no matter how big, it still can be cached in its entirety in the system since they are so small and is how ROM files work in the first place. This behavior is nothing new; it's been seen ever since Genesis GX's SegaCD functionality was confirmed working, where suspend and sleep modes cause the emulated disc to eject for whatever reason.

In fact, I've seen this as far back as the PSP: NJEMU's CPS2PSP was a culprit of file corruption when using the PSP Go's "Pause Game" function (Basically a predecessor to modern "suspend"), so "Pausing" and returning to the game led to garbled sprites, since the PSP ports relied so much on pre-cached files.

It probably hasn't been implemented since RetroArch was never fully optimized for this behavior, and I'm pretty sure some Windows programs exhibit this too (If I were to use my Win to test, with it being a handheld and all). Theoretically, it's a simple fix: Pause the game, and immediately "mount" the disc when the system returns to RA, this way the game won't go spastic when it finds out it was ejected. But, I'm no programmer so I can't say how hard this is to actually implement.

What platforms are supported for Retro Achievements with lib-retro cores?

NES, SMS(?), PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, and GB(C/A) are supported in the RetroAchievements APIs. Though, don't quote me on it working on RA because I haven't been able to earn any in my current addiction (EarthBound), but then again, it was activated near the end of the game so nyeh.

Course, ya need an account and make sure the credentials are right on the ball and are logged off of the website before logging on RA, since I haven't seen the overlay make any status changes whether it's successful or not, and you'll need to maintain a connection (I think, though I may be wrong). Some cores have compatibility issues too, so it's not complete, but the list is here for those who are interested.

I saw many videos of GDP Win, and i cant believe it. I have so many questions; can i ask to you?

ASK AWAY. Though perhaps remaining public would be off-topic; unless others don't mind this.

Last edited by SeongGino,

deurk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NES, SMS(?), PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, and GB(C/A) are supported in the RetroAchievements APIs. Though, don't quote me on it working on RA because I haven't been able to earn any in my current addiction (EarthBound), but then again, it was activated near the end of the game so nyeh.

Course, ya need an account and make sure the credentials are right on the ball and are logged off of the website before logging on RA, since I haven't seen the overlay make any status changes whether it's successful or not, and you'll need to maintain a connection (I think, though I may be wrong). Some cores have compatibility issues too, so it's not complete, but the list is here for those who are interested.
Oh, I meant what platforms RetroArch works on provide the RetroAchievement capability: as far as I saw, there is no menu to configure it on the Vita as I've seen on the Linux version.

Blue24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive tried for the past couple days to get cheats to work on Metroid Fusion different formats and everything even tried manually entering them. Do they just not work yet?

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I meant what platforms RetroArch works on provide the RetroAchievement capability: as far as I saw, there is no menu to configure it on the Vita as I've seen on the Linux version.

*Shrugs*
Works on Windows and on the Pi (RetroPie), and that's literally all I can speak for.

SeongGino any news on the N64 core progress?

I'm not exactly part of the dev team, so all I can say is, it certainly isn't part of the new nightlies.
I'd give it time. A LOT of time. If the Pi is anything to go off of, anyways, and I've also tried on Windows; it just ain't that great a performer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY