Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please share with us, what you mean by better performance from the cores themselves?

Yeah, less options means, less chance on user errors and crashes. But games aren't running any faster in my experience.
The cores which are able to run games at full speed, still do this. The cores which aren't able to run games at full speed, still don't.

Setting up the new menu options can be troublesome, but when done right, it runs a-ok.
When using the core-specific and game-specific settings the right way, together with PC-generated playlists, you'll have a much more complete 'RetroArch' experience.

I certainly recommend using 1.4+, but that's my humble opinion.
Hm.... A few questions if you don't mind.
How do you build playlists on the computer?
How do you change settings without the program crashing?
And what do you do when you try to play a game and it says "no cores available"?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hm.... A few questions if you don't mind.
How do you build playlists on the computer?
How do you change settings without the program crashing?
And what do you do when you try to play a game and it says "no cores available"?

To generate playlists, i've created a batch script. An early version is available HERE. I don't have the final version available atm, sorry.
You could use it, but some platforms needs to be added manually. Or create something similar yourself, more info HERE.

What settings are causing crashes?
You already found out you shouln't change the 'User 1 Device Type', which could disable the controls. If you want to reset any other settings to default just press 'start' with the setting selected.

If you get 'core not available', retroarch usually can't find the right .core files.
You either changed some 'Directory' settings, i suggest leaving these default.
Or if it's default, check if the .core file for the core you're using is available in: 'sd:/retroarch/cores/'

The .core files are there to let retroarch know which cores are available, and which .cia to launch. Of course you'll still need to install the right .cia's you want to use.

Other than that, i've never encountered this message. Nor crashes while changing settings.

Reactions: BobSaget1945

wworms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah sorry I forgot about Picodrive as well.
But usually GenPlus has better performance than Picodrive, doesn't it?
On 03ds, GenPlus runs S3&K horribly slowy. Picodrive runs significantly better but with choppy audio (better with lowered decibels).
Is 1.50 really the best version? Getting far better compatability and less crashes this way.

Last edited by wworms,

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To generate playlists, i've created a batch script. An early version is available HERE. I don't have the final version available atm, sorry.
You could use it, but some platforms needs to be added manually. Or create something similar yourself, more info HERE.

What settings are causing crashes?
You already found out you shouln't change the 'User 1 Device Type', which could disable the controls. If you want to reset any other settings to default just press 'start' with the setting selected.

If you get 'core not available', retroarch usually can't find the right .core files.
You either changed some 'Directory' settings, i suggest leaving these default.
Or if it's default, check if the .core file for the core you're using is available in: 'sd:/retroarch/cores/'

The .core files are there to let retroarch know which cores are available, and which .cia to launch. Of course you'll still need to install the right .cia's you want to use.

Other than that, i've never encountered this message. Nor crashes while changing settings.
Thanks, I'll try looking into that playlist creator. I've been gone all weekend, when I get home I'll check it out.

I found out why it thought I had no .core files available.. It was because I was creating playlists directly from the 3ds. And apparently that's a buggy feature at this point. So if I path to the files myself, without going through the playlists, it works alright.

Here's a question for anyone, is there a way to do speed up the games (turbo, fast forward.. whatever you want to call it)? I found a way to map a key to "turbo" but I can't get it to do anything.

Suji_Pyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a new 3ds xl and I am trying to play NeoGeo games on it using 1.6.1 - FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo v0.2.97.29... the games load but the fps is really low, an average of 20, can anyone suggest what settings improve the fps of the games?

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello MSX fans!

I've just submitted changes to the fMSX core adding support for .dsk (disk) & .cas (cassette) images, as well as allowing memory configuration. Hopefully they will be accepted soon!

I will post here again when these new features reach nightlies!

DISK SUPPORT
Only .dsk files are supported.
There's still some way to go for perfect disk support, as it's not currently possible to swap discs.
If disk swapping is in another core, let me know, and I will port it over to fMSX.

Aside: you can also use dsk2rom to convert .dsk images to .rom images

CASSETTE TAPE SUPPORT
Only .cas tape files are supported.
There is currently no way to rewind or swap cassettes.
Help needed testing this support.

MEMORY
Main memory can now be set to: Auto|64KB|128KB|256KB|512KB
Video memory can now be set to: Auto|32KB|64KB|128KB|192KB
Auto (default, recommended) also sets both types of memory to the recommended values based on the MSX mode you are using:

MSX1 = RAM 64KB, VRAM 32KB
MSX2 = RAM 128KB, VRAM 128KB
MSX2+ = RAM 256KB, VRAM 128KB

These changes mean that the default mode of MSX2+ will have more memory available and be able to run more games. This was my goal for these changes.

TO DO/HELP REQUIRED
Touch screen for RetroArch on Nintendo 3DS.
If there's a virtual keboard in another core, let me know, and I will port it over to fMSX.

Hero_579

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been trying to get the Neo Geo emulator to work and ive been having no luck.

ive followed everything so far; got the bios and roms. But when i try to load a game such as kof99 it just instantly freezes. i have tried both cia and .3dsx and i get the same result.

Ive got a n3ds running Luma3ds on frimware 11.4.0-37U. if anyone can help that would be amazing.

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been trying to get the Neo Geo emulator to work and ive been having no luck.

ive followed everything so far; got the bios and roms. But when i try to load a game such as kof99 it just instantly freezes. i have tried both cia and .3dsx and i get the same result.

Ive got a n3ds running Luma3ds on frimware 11.4.0-37U. if anyone can help that would be amazing.
just instantly freezes in what way? what was the last message in the debug log?

M.Prower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having troubles with Startropics on Nestopia, there's no sound and I can't really seem to make a save file after naming.

EDIT: I'm on 2.5*hax on 10.3.0U SmashHax/OoT3DHax.
I literally just installed Retroarch to play Startropics, and I ran into the same problem. No sound and can't create a save file. Sequel does the same thing just looks a bit different. Startropics works fine on Retroarch on PC with the same NestopiaUE core. So I'm not really sure whats going on. I'm on Luma 8.1 running Sys 11.4.0-37U. Anyone have any ideas?

Tgaming548

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I add shaders on retroarch since there’s no online updater? (or I haven’t seen one on Gambatte at least.) I tried cg filters and they didn’t show up.

Sorry for being super nooby lol.

Tgaming548

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
video filters can now be used.

currently, to select one, you need to go to "Settings" --> "Video" --> "Video Filter" and select a ".filt" file, those files are available in the latest nightly archive in retroarch/filters/ .
I would recommend just copying the "retroarch" folder from the archive to the root of your SD-card, and then setting the "Video Filter Dir" (in "Settings" --> "Directory") to "sdmc:/retroarch/filters", that way you can get the available filters listed directly from the "Video Filter" option.
to disable a filter, just press "start" when the "Video Filter" entry is selected. ( "start" is the default hotkey for setting back any config value to the default one).

and as @Steveice10 already pointed out, those filters are quite CPU intensive, so expect a huge performance penalty when using them, and also, don't expect much from them due to the very low resolution of the 3DS screens. (the accessible resolution at least, things would become far more interesting if the full 800x240 resolution of the top screen ever became accessible).

also, I didn't test all of them, so some might not work correctly/at all with some cores.
Never mind, I just had to spend awhile digging through this huge thread. This should still work, right?

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never mind, I just had to spend awhile digging through this huge thread. This should still work, right?
Yes, do you have the filters (from whatever build you're using) at /retroarch/filters/video ?

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 19.09.43.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Cuz I joined this site to follow ds game translations