Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Does neogeo work with unibios 3.2? also i cant find the option to select the bios in the core settings, anyone figured it out?

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What am I doing wrong? When I start retroarch_3ds.cia after installing it, I get a message saying "The SD Card was removed." "Press the HOME Button to return to the HOME Menu."

I can load the Snes9x2010 cia just fine.

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What am I doing wrong? When I start retroarch_3ds.cia after installing it, I get a message saying "The SD Card was removed." "Press the HOME Button to return to the HOME Menu."

What do you mean start the CIA? You should install it then tap the new icon it put on the home screen.

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean start the CIA? You should install it then tap the new icon it put on the home screen.

Well yeah that's what I mean, after I install that CIA (with FBI), I unwrap the icon on the home screen and run that. I was just trying to point out what CIA i installed and that I'm getting an error when I try to use the title once it's installed.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You need .core files in the Retroarch/cores folder in order to use the Retroarch.cia. The reason is that the CIA is basically a launcher for the other cores, therefore you'll need the .core files for the CIA cores that you're using (example: snes9x2002.core in the cores folder for the SNES9X2002 CIA). Otherwise, clicking on the Retroarch CIA will just error out like you described.

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need .core files in the Retroarch/cores folder in order to use the Retroarch.cia. The reason is that the CIA is basically a launcher for the other cores, therefore you'll need the .core files for the CIA cores that you're using (example: snes9x2002.core in the cores folder for the SNES9X2002 CIA). Otherwise, clicking on the Retroarch CIA will just error out like you described.

Aren't the cores in the zip file that you download with the cia's? I put that folder on the root of my SD card:/retroarch and I looked in the /retroarch/cores folder and its populated with all the cores. So what am I missing?

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically, the files in the core folder are needed for you to change between the cores using the Load Core feature without having to quit back to the Home Menu. You'll still need to install the individual CIAs for the cores you want to use.

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically, the files in the core folder are needed for you to change between the cores using the Load Core feature without having to quit back to the Home Menu. You'll still need to install the individual CIAs for the cores you want to use.

I don't understand what retroarch_3ds.cia is for then. I was under the impression I could launch it once installed and load the core I wanted to use and then emulate the ROMs i wanted to. But instead it doesn't work, and I need to use the specific CIAs for the cores I want to run.

Furthermore, I am having an extremely hard time emulating Zelda - A Link to the Past with decent performance (using the snes9x2010 cia). What's up with that? Do i need to change configs to make it run better? What's the magic trick? Why isn't there a config going around where the settings are all tweaked for the best results? Aren't all n3dses performing the same?

DarkDengar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what retroarch_3ds.cia is for then. I was under the impression I could launch it once installed and load the core I wanted to use and then emulate the ROMs i wanted to. But instead it doesn't work, and I need to use the specific CIAs for the cores I want to run.

Furthermore, I am having an extremely hard time emulating Zelda - A Link to the Past with decent performance (using the snes9x2010 cia). What's up with that? Do i need to change configs to make it run better? What's the magic trick? Why isn't there a config going around where the settings are all tweaked for the best results? Aren't all n3dses performing the same?
Try SNES 9x 2002, in my experience that one has the highest compatibility and speed (though some small inaccuracies in some games). 2010 also lags for me. Of course, I might have something set up wrong too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try SNES 9x 2002, in my experience that one has the highest compatibility and speed (though some small inaccuracies in some games). 2010 also lags for me. Of course, I might have something set up wrong too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just too many problems. I found 2005 Plus to work best, but then I can't quit it... i have to hold the power button down if I try to "quit" in the menu.

2010 works fine, until you try to load filters and then it halves the FPS. Have to delete the config file and start over for it to work good again if you happen to load a filter.

Also, every time I start the title be it 2005 or 2010, i have to load the core again even though it shows loaded at the bottom of the screen. If I don't, it will hang when trying to start a ROM and hangs indefinitely (have to hold the power button).

I was hoping I could emulate my SNES games well enough to get rid of all the VC titles and make room for more games, but at this point in time, it's definitely not working and I can't figure it out.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason on my o3ds FCEUmm isnt running smoothly at all despite have a * by the emulator name. Any ideas or fixes for this?
A lot of the OP is outdated and needs to be updated. Wonderswan emulator also has the * but it never gets anything above 24 frames per second, the NGPC emulator isn't even listed, and it still recommends BlargSNES over bubbles2k's SNES9x port.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't understand anything toi the OP. It's supposed to help us setting up Retroarch oin our 3DSes, but after reading it 10 times I still don't know what to do to install it properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.