Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The system version itself shouldn't matter, you'll need 9.2 sysNAND or below to install .cia files anyway. Having 9.2 or not in emuNAND shouldn't make a difference in terms of performance.

EmuNAND version doesn't matter. As long as you have a SysNAND with kernel access (i.e. 9.2 or below) then you will be able to use dynamic recompilation in emulators that support it.

That's excellent then, thanks!

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, having played with both GBA emulators, I don't think I'll be keeping either one. Unfortunately, gpSP is just too unstable. It seems stable enough when playing SMA4 (though I did notice some tearing near the top of the screen). However, switch to Doom (the one with the red blood hack anyway, though I can't imagine that mattering), and it crashes within five minutes every time. Granted, I would never actually run this version of the game, prboom3ds is so much better, and in 3D (though the "Inferno" mission is completely different on the GBA version for some reason). Still, such instability disqualifies it from further consideration at this time. Now, mGBA has no stability issues with Doom -- it can run it at 25 FPS for as long as you can tolerate it. In other words, it's about as optimized as MAME. I'll stick with TempGBA on my DSTwo.

I checked out the Wonderswan core with Final Fantasy I as well. Now that seemed to work good. I would say they should have brought that out here, but it probably would have been the NGPC all over again (that reminds me, I should probably go check the battery in my NGPL cart, make sure it's not eating a hole in it or anything).

Reactions: SLiV3R

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Any reason why the mGBA core doesn't grab the same SAV files as the gpSP core?
I load up SMA4 with gpSP and it recognizes my save just fine, but when I load up mGBA it doesn't have anything there.

Also, I tried the November 8th build someone posted here a few posts ago and it crashed everytime I even tried to go into any level with any game.
Right now I'm stuck with the latest gpSP nightly. -,-

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gpSP looks for saves in .sav format, while mGBA is looking for .srm saves. It should be possible to just rename one extension to another and have it load up just fine in the other core.

Powermad80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though it runs at fullspeed seemingly without issue, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo inevitably causes crashes on GPSP. It's also apparently hard/impossible to make a working CIA of it for GBA injection, what's the deal with the game?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason why the mGBA core doesn't grab the same SAV files as the gpSP core?
I load up SMA4 with gpSP and it recognizes my save just fine, but when I load up mGBA it doesn't have anything there.

Also, I tried the November 8th build someone posted here a few posts ago and it crashed everytime I even tried to go into any level with any game.
Right now I'm stuck with the latest gpSP nightly. -,-

You could try the stable release that came out earlier this month. It's not going to function any differently, and it's hard to say which is actually more stable, but you're technically not stuck with the latest nightly. Maybe they weren't certain that the saves were 100% compatible. Better safe than having saves getting mangled. Basically what kenseiden said -- try renaming to ".srm" and see if that works. Not very convenient, but at least thanks to CTRXplorer you can do it on the 3DS. I don't recommend using these though. Use TempGBA if you have a DSTwo. If not, inject.

BTW, comical sig. considering it's dead simple to add Pasta or MiniPasta to CBM/BC/HBM. Why would anyone care if GW adds GBA/TWL support or not? No one needs them to reinvent the wheel.

W95.IMG loads but goes to scandisk and gives an error, what should I do?

I'm surprised it got that far. The 3DS doesn't have the resources the PS3 does. I guess you could try making your own Windows 95A image instead of trying to use a pre-built one. I considered going there myself, but, I'm not thinking the chances of getting Diablo II or Dungeon Keeper 2 working are all that great.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any workaround to play Super Mario AllStars on pocketsnes?

Is it not responding to input? For some reason this game is switching the joypads. I know the catsfc core has a fix for this in the settings. There is an option to switch controllers. So for All Stars, your must enable this. If pocketsnes does not have such an option (don't know for sure, I'm not using that core), consider switching to catsfc

Reactions: eldavo2090

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to rotate the screen in Retroarch with MAME? I installed the 2000 and 2003 cias, but most Namco arcade games (Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug 2, Pac-Mania) have an issue where the screen is horizontal, so I have to tilt my 3DS to get the proper image. The issue with this is that the controls are still mapped normally. Other games such as Snow Bros. run fine with the screen normally.

Settings -> Video does seem to have some "Rotation" options, but none of them seem to fix the issue.

Any ideas? I'd really love to play some of Namco's arcade games with this.

LOVELY SCREENSHOT EXAMPLE EDIT:
yxbx8yT.jpg
GAKFT9j.jpg
(As you can see, this fixes the screen being mirrored, but I still have to flip the system over to see things properly. No other screen rotation seems to fix the issue with it being on it's side.)

Posting this again out of curiosity: is there a solution to this? I'm using the latest "stable" 1.3 cia builds.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
how can i get rewind to work with gambatte (or, does a recent nightly have it working?)
before, it would rewind a little but then break, it displayed an error message on the debug screen, i forget what it said though... :)
but i tried rewind in pocketsnes yesterday and it worked perfectly, so that is good.

i tried catsfc to play seiken densetsu 3, i started this game on my gp2x maybe 8 years ago, maybe more.
catsfc doesn't run it perfectly at default settings (all i usually try) but pocketsnes is perfect, i'm very happy!
i lost my old save since it's on an sd card that i have no idea where it is now, no problem to start this game again

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just did some work on the gambatte code because I really didnt like its audio issues and I got it from this:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/r2ki3ieammz6g5z/clip_old.ogg
to this:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wgftwzdfj5yj48x/clip_new.ogg
which I personally think is much more acceptable.
if you wanna give it a shot heres a 3dsx:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hv947zl2je8aodm/gambatte_soundchanges.zip
I've also made a pull request so maybe in the future this will be included in the nightlys.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gave the updated Gambatte a test run with Tetris DX, my most-often played GB game. I'm not noticing any pops in the audio, which was especially noticeable to me in the intro on previous versions of Gambatte, as well as during gameplay (flipping and landing pieces, in particular). If anything, your build has the "Start Core" menu option enabled, which I'm assuming was a slight oversight in compiling?

Thanks for your work on the sound and making this core better than it already was. :)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To be clear, are we safe using the latest nightlies with the exception of gpSP (which requires an older build to overcome screen tearing)?

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
N64 emulation will never be fun on the n3ds unfortunately :( Will be too slow :(

If Virtual Boy gets dynarec as gpsp and ps1 got. Then I think it will be fullspeed :)

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just gave the updated Gambatte a test run with Tetris DX, my most-often played GB game. I'm not noticing any pops in the audio, which was especially noticeable to me in the intro on previous versions of Gambatte, as well as during gameplay (flipping and landing pieces, in particular). If anything, your build has the "Start Core" menu option enabled, which I'm assuming was a slight oversight in compiling?

Thanks for your work on the sound and making this core better than it already was. :)
yea, I dont know how to compile it properly so I just did it some way, guess thats why that option is there lol. Also how did I not play tetris dx in so long? Gave it a shot now that you've mentioned it and had a pretty good run, have to play more of it again some time :D
IMG_20160201_191445875.png

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
FIX94, I'll have to try your build.
I'm having trouble with Little Indian in the City, sound is crackling since the beginning. Maybe your fix will solve the issue. :)
Thank you for your contribution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @rqkaiju2, happy early birthday