Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Neo-Geo core still broken for me, trying to load one rom after another is still causes a black screen for me. Anyone else have this issue? Nobody seems to have reported it, also the title screens to Neo-Geo flicker when you insert coins, this isn't an issue at all but I don't think it should be doing that.

That is the case yes. I don't think it's broken at all - I didn't change one single line of code in FBACores Neo - it's simply how the current codebase (on FBA 0.2.97.28) happens to work. Just 'restart' the core after loading a ROM. The Neo Core is one big WIP at this point anyway until virtual memory has been added.

Regarding the flickering: it's probably just the specific 'resolution' you've selected.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
False positive. You have something like Rewind enabled then, because no way does it run at 26fps.

Fact - Rewind will be too slow on Wii for the vast majority of cores out there unless a core runs at (at least) double realtime. Genesis Plus GX is not one of them.

For Mega CD you need the BIOS files inside the 'system' directory.

You were right on both counts, thanks for this. I'll make sure to troubleshoot more before I report any issues in future.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Reading issues on the last pages about arcade games, makes me wonder.

I simply use Fba core and i can play ALL CPS2 games and ALL neogeo games smaller than 23MB. I posted a list on page 39 of about 500 games that work.
There are about 150 fba games that don't work yet (again a list in page 61 iirc) , but seeing that the original fba updates have growing memory requirements i think Wii have it as good as it gets for that core. So that;s that.
(BTW hyper street fighter and cotton are working now with cps2 core and new fba core)

All in all, personal thoughts on RA
GenPlus GX: Perfect for me (yeah 32X would be nice but i don't think it's possible, and not important games library tbh)
SNES9X Next: Perfect for me
Vbanext: pretty good for most games, but given Wii's hardware this is the best possible atm. IDK about gpsp, i hope a port is feasible on 0.9.9 or later. I complement this one with WiiMednafen which uses speed hacks for some games like Metroid Zero Mission etc.
FCEUM GX: Perfect for me. (I use FCE GX for lightgun IR support for a couple of games)
PCE Fast: I use it for PCE CD games, no issue so far. I use WiiMednafen for cart games.
Gambatte: Great! Palletes are an issue, but not if you use the previous core which is what i do.

Honestly, RA is really close to ultimate for me bar:
-IDK if we could have a core remember a specific directory for it.
-IF possible, Neo geo core for large ROMS. If not, not a big deal we already have 180+ neogeo working games AND there are official releases and injects of large neo geo games on VC (Last Blade 1,2, Prehistoric Isle 2, Sengoku 3, Shock Troopers 2, all the Metal Slugs etc). Only missing ones so far are Garou, SVC and Matrimelee but i have a DS for those.
- Mame 0.72 for some games like xsleena, snowbros and some lightgun games.
- Full name display for roms if possible
- Aforementioned gpsp core, IF possible
- Memory leaks although this is an issue from the original PC cores. I am now familiar with the size of my roms and already manually restart when i calculate i exceeded 23mb so no big deal either.

And there you have it. The devs have done so much already, even if there were no other improvements RA Wii is awesome.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Neo-Geo core still broken for me, trying to load one rom after another is still causes a black screen for me. Anyone else have this issue?
I can confirm that. I think it's memory related, like FBA.

@libretroretroarc:
One feature that I seriously miss, is to be able to save the rom path for each core, and possibly resolution/aspect ratio. It would be a great improvement for usability.
Is it possible in Retroarch?

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
If Genplus GX is running too slow, use the standalone version. It's not that hard to do.

Seriously, this has gone on far enough and it needs to stop. It doesn't matter how it started, but it has to stop, it's nothing but a trivial argument at this point.
Why can't there be more rational people like you. RetroArch isn't perfect yes, so they should give the developers the benefit of the doubt and stop the bickering. It's childish and make people look immature. I don't care how it starts, it shouldn't begin in the first place. I came to this thread to read information on RetroArch Wii, not to get involved with a trivial argument.

But the issue was resolved, not sure what you are getting at here, and if you came here to read information and not get involved with a trivial argument, why are you saying this when there was no argument to begin with. I'll take it that you simply didn't read the previous posts.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But the issue was resolved, not sure what you are getting at here, and if you came here to read information and not get involved with a trivial argument, why are you saying this when there was no argument to begin with. I'll take it that you simply didn't read the previous posts.

We should probably put up a big warning when enabling the rewind feature that if it runs below realtime on next startup, you should disable it for that specific core.

Reactions: the_randomizer

solidhit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@libretroretroarc

The Neo Core is one big WIP at this point anyway until virtual memory has been added.

What?

You have plans to support virtual memory, like in windows that expand the available RAM using disk space?

Please, could you elaborate a bit on that...

1. What will that make possible?
2. Is it planned for the near or not so near future?
3. Will it be so difficult to implement that it will require a long testing period?
4. Anything else?

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, works great now and I agree, if there are negative results from using it for a specific core, it should be removed.

Also, while we are on the subject of usability, I think the Core option should be at the top of the menu.

Edit: @the randomizer No problem at all man. I recommend HHLPA 93 :lol:

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@libretroretroarc

What?

You have plans to support virtual memory, like in windows that expand the available RAM using disk space?

Please, could you elaborate a bit on that...

1. What will that make possible?
2. Is it planned for the near or not so near future?
3. Will it be so difficult to implement that it will require a long testing period?
4. Anything else?

It's probably only going to be useful for select cores like Neo Geo. It has been done before on Xbox 1 to great success - not sure how much slower SD read speeds are compared to the Xbox 1's 5400rpm IDE HDD, but hopefully it will be similarly successful on here.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yikes, make senses though, hence the "loading ROM fully/partially into MEM2". Speaking of which, Wii 64 is dead, but that's another story. I'll stick with RetroArch Wii thank you.

MEM2 is the second RAM segment of the Wii. It's not virtual memory at least.

Here's a post explaining how it works for Wii64 -

http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?p=119

If I am correct, TLB is a register/buffer located on most CPUs to allow the use of virtual memory. In this case, the game cartridge would be used as virtual memory. Since the game cartridge’s contents (ROM) are normally rather large (12MB+), they cannot be stored in the Wii/GC’s MEM1 (the fast, smaller amount of RAM), they have to be executed directly from the storage device that is attached to the Wii (SD, SDHC, USB Flash, USB HDD) or stored in some other (large) device/area/RAM, like the Wii/GC’s MEM2 (the slower, larger amount of RAM).

MEM1 is for lack of a better term the Gamecube RAM segment, whereas MEM2 is the additional Wii segment of memory.

I think for some games they execute some dynarec code on the SD card. Then again, I haven't really looked at Wii64's sourcecode but this is what it appears to be.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEM2 is the second RAM segment of the Wii. It's not virtual memory at least.

Here's a post explaining how it works for Wii64 -

http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?p=119

MEM1 is for lack of a better term the Gamecube RAM segment, whereas MEM2 is the additional Wii segment of memory.

At least Ocarina of TIme (256Mbit/32MB) uses virtual memory - I suspect they allocate too much already in MEM1/MEM2 for that to fit in MEM2.

Heh, so much I know. I'm just going to go now since my being here is just as welcome as a skunk at a picnic. First I make accusatory statements about arguments that never happened, and just now I make noob assumptions on how emulators works. Good day. I've bothered you enough with my trivial reports on tinny sound "issues", so I beg you my leave.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I was actually going to ask about virtual memory, if it's implemented in some way it could be possible to get a CPS3 core on the Wii?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was actually going to ask about virtual memory, if it's implemented in some way it could be possible to get a CPS3 core on the Wii?

I could experiment with it but there's no telling how good performance is going to be. At least with Neo Geo we know it can work decently but that's probably an isolated example.

solidhit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@libretroretroarch

Since my first post I wanted to report a bug that is very difficult to tell when it occurs. I couldn't make it happen intentionally so I just skipped any mention of it. It was there on 0.9.8, 0.9.8.1 and now on 0.9.8.2.

It happened again just a few minutes ago...

I turned on the wii, ran retroarch, used the snes9x core to load two games. I let each run in demo mode for a couple of hours, I didn't play at all. Then I wanted to play a game in FBA. I switched the core, went to change resolution from 640x576i to 320x240. The moment the resolution mode went below 640x448i the screen got garbled and it could only be fixed by selecting 640x448i or above.

From then on, the emulator became very slow. Exited the emulator to the homebrew channel and the homebrew channel was also slow. Exited the homebrew channel to the wii menu and the wii menu was slow. The only solution was to shutdown wii and turn it on again. Then everything worked as usual.

It has happened before with different cores so it can't be core related. I've tried in the past to repeat the error but I couldn't. I'll try again but the only thing that I didn't try in the past was to let a core play for hours before switching cores and messing with the resolution.

Now that I finished writing this, I wonder if I should post it ... oh well ...

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@libretroretroarch

Since my first post I wanted to report a bug that is very difficult to tell when it occurs. I couldn't make it happen intentionally so I just skipped any mention of it. It was there on 0.9.8, 0.9.8.1 and now on 0.9.8.2.

It happened again just a few minutes ago...

I turned on the wii, ran retroarch, used the snes9x core to load two games. I let each run in demo mode for a couple of hours, I didn't play at all. Then I wanted to play a game in FBA. I switched the core, went to change resolution from 640x576i to 320x240. The moment the resolution mode went below 640x448i the screen got garbled and it could only be fixed by selecting 640x448i or above.

From then on, the emulator became very slow. Exited the emulator to the homebrew channel and the homebrew channel was also slow. Exited the homebrew channel to the wii menu and the wii menu was slow. The only solution was to shutdown wii and turn it on again. Then everything worked as usual.

It has happened before with different cores so it can't be core related. I've tried in the past to repeat the error but I couldn't. I'll try again but the only thing that I didn't try in the past was to let a core play for hours before switching cores and messing with the resolution.

Now that I finished writing this, I wonder if I should post it ... oh well ...

It could be that it was simply not a wise decision to add those resolutions. Not sure if I should take it all out. Alternatively, we could simply take out some of the odd ones that don't make any sense anyway with how the GX scaler works.

Anyway, I'm not going to mess around with this shit anymore until Eke-Eke (or somebody else with some experience in Wii homebrew coding) can take a good look at it and tell me whether my current approach is doing it totally wrong or not (it doesn't help again that there is zero free documentation, and yes, the only way to get the 'real documentation' it seems is to get the SDK docs from the 'Revolution SDK' - which tells you all you need to know about where all this stuff came from in the first place). Not going to make any more guesstimations or worked up over it - I have other stuff to do right now.

Also, you're sure you just don't have rewinding on? Though if you say it affects HBC too it can't be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted...