Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The issue with Cybots is still the same. I can't use the buttons except for the Dpad on the CC.
Fireshark also has the problem.

I didn't play that game and I didn't hook up the buttons for it yet.

After Eke-Eke has taken a look at the video code and I have a better idea of where to go with this, I'll release an updated version with a new version of FBA which has button support for these two games.

The Gamecube release also has been postponed indefinitely until the video driver has been sorted out.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
any plans for a psx emulator port for the wii. It will be nice to run ff9 again

There's nothing on PCSX ReARMed's level for PPC - PCSX Reloaded or even WiiSX don't even compare. Problem is that the two aspects that make PCSX ReARMed so great (the Ari64 'modded N64' dynarec and Exophase's NEON GPU driver) are VERY, very ARM-architecture specific - so in its current state, there's nothing much to port to Wii. That's the price you pay for vastly better performance - inherently nonportable code (which is why I have been such a big proponent of micro-optimizations and speed hacks since at the very least they are architecture-agnostic and even the little gains matter in bulk).

mastershoes

GameTDB Mod & Retro Cover Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked a few pages into this thread and couldn't find anything so I'm gonna ask:
Does this bad boy have a forwarder?

Hey hey,

If anyone's interested, I re-skinned Close2Insanity's MAME forwarder (I f'ing love that forwarder!), and put together a RetroArch-Wii forwarder, i think it turned out fairly well. I included both of these wads in the download.

RetroArch-MameIcons.png

RetroArch-Wii.png

SDLMame-Wii.png

Grab 'em here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pqwb7gt8b0xvqeq

...and also, thanks much to the devs, you guys have done a great job!

Edit: Updated Link (v14 source - Thanks Fix!)

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Thanks guys for latest update (0.9.8.2)
After testing (dols used as wiiflow plugins with argument support) I have the following observations:

1. All the new dols start in 640x576i resolution with a missing part at bottom of display
wZQeQOb.jpg

changing resolution to 640x480i or any other resolution for that matter fixes that issue but settings are not saved!
x45heMj.jpg

2.after loading a game pressing "Home" then "-" reloads the rom instead of opening the option menu
pressing "Home" then "-" a second time works fine and settings can be changed tested with FCUMM and CPS2 Alpha and Neo

3.In Gambatte and Doom (maybe other dols too) pressing "Home" then "-" exits the emulation and settings cannot be reached and game cannot be played

4.GenPlus GX runs the game fine but pressing Home gives error message about "error loading game" with codedumps on attempt to exit sometimes

I still need to test the other dols but here's what I recommend after the testing:
1. Make the screen resolution saved in the settings ini so that we don't need to change it every time
2. Fix the ability to reach the settings menu after loading the game (instead of reloading the game or exiting)
3. Look into the error message when Hime is Pressed for Gen Plus GX "error occured during rom loading" and the codedump that follows it

owxhkNG.jpg

5F1AoH7.jpg

4.Figure out why settings cannot be reached in Doom and Gambatte emulators
5. redistribute PGM and Psikyo dols

Have a nice day
Abz :)

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First thing I'm going to do as soon as Eke-Eke has taken a look at the video code is TAKE OUT ALL THE SCREEN RESOLUTIONS and revert to what we had in 0.9.7 - sorry, but this crap is way too unstable and I don't feel like appeasing a few people who want 'pixel-perfect accurate graphics' that can't ever be attained on the Wii anyway. We should have never gone down this gravy train in the first place - we have fucked up the current version in doing so and I am NEVER, EVER going to appease a few of the obsessives in here AGAIN just because they want this or not - they can code their own frontend and their own emu then. I'm never going to compromise the stability of my app again just to appease these guys.

Reactions: seam

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, the optimum resolution for each core and a choice of aspect ratios if you are viewing on an old 4:3 or a new 16:9 is more than enough. At the moment I can never decide which is best! Spoiled for choice!

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
First thing I'm going to do as soon as Eke-Eke has taken a look at the video code is TAKE OUT ALL THE SCREEN RESOLUTIONS and revert to what we had in 0.9.7 - sorry, but this crap is way too unstable and I don't feel like appeasing a few people who want 'pixel-perfect accurate graphics' that can't ever be attained on the Wii anyway. We should have never gone down this gravy train in the first place - we have fucked up the current version in doing so and I am NEVER, EVER going to appease a few of the obsessives in here AGAIN just because they want this or not - they can code their own frontend and their own emu then. I'm never going to compromise the stability of my app again just to appease these guys.
After eke-eke takes a look at the video code and the necessary adjustments are made for stability, would it still be possible to have double strike? It's the only one I really care for and probably most end users too. Besides having all those resolution options at the cost of stability is pointless.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, this is the best one. It's as close as we can get to the original hardware. I am sure Squarepusher or Toad King will keep the usable ones and get rid of the ones causing problems.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, this is the best one. It's as close as we can get to the original hardware. I am sure Squarepusher or Toad King will keep the usable ones and get rid of the ones causing problems.

You can never get to the original hardware - the resolution is still being upscaled in standalone Genesis Plus GX or any other emu that advertises 'double strike' modes - the GX scaler is incapable of rendering at those low resolutions accurately without distortion - otherwise you wouldn't have to depend on upscaling in double-strike mode in the first place to get a non-distorted image. It looking more or less the same doesn't change the fact that it is still a hack.

Get yourself an original console and run it at your original CRT TV if accuracy is a must-be. But both those consoles and the TVs are on their way out anyway and will break over time. People will have to learn that 'accuracy' is not something that can be 'arrived at' - an 'approximation' of accuracy, sure - but exactly 100% the same as the original hardware? No chance.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I don't have the original consoles or an old CRT, so like I said, this is as close as we can get and I am very happy with that.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most LCDs do NOT support 240p or double strike. A CRT is a must is people are that hellbent on having native resolution.

This is what Ekeeke told nintygaming:

"the Wii always output the same resolution signal, which is 720x480 (720x576 for PAL) interlaced/progressive or 720x240 (720x288 for PAL) non-interlaced (also called double strike or "Original" in emulators).
the maximal active screen SIZE (size that can be rendered by the Wii GPU in one pass) corresponds to the size of the embedded framebuffer (EFB) and is 640x528.
the video hardware can then be configured to position (generally centered but it´s up to the developer) your rendered screen (640x448 or 640x224 for example) in the video signal window (720x480 or 720x240 as explained first), the "inactive" pixels being output to black.
what i do in "original" mode is to render the emulated active screen (320x224 for most Genesis games but some games use 256x224 and Master System or Game Gear games do as well) then DOUBLE it horizontally to 640x224 or 512x224 inside the embedded framebuffer, using Wii GPU texture hardware (GX) scaling.
GX scaling by default applies heavy bilinear filtering when upscaling so I have to disable hardware filtering if I want the image to remain sharp and not blurry. The fact that the screen width is simply doubled prevents scaling (generally visible when games are scrolling if you use a non-integer scaling ratio with no filtering).
This other way is to use a feature of the Wii Video encoder which is able to upscale horizontally the framebuffer rendered by the Wii GPU up to the max. resolution (720 pixels), without any noticeable filtering ( understand, not blurry).
So what I do is taking the rendered frame buffer, 640x224 (384x224 with overscan emulated) or 512x224 and let the Video Encoder upscale it to a COMMON and FIXED size (something like 644 pixels, which comes from my calculation based on Genesis and Wii pixel clocks, and match my observation against my real Genesis output on the same TV). And yes, the 256x224 original screen also needs to be upscaled to that common width because pixels in this mode wasn't square pixels at all on the real thing, while Wii pixels always are. Similarly, pixels in 320x224 mode aren't exactly square, which is why the screen is still upscaled to little than simply 640 pixels. All of this is because of the different pixels used on Genesis in the different resolution modes and on the Wii.
i don't know how retroarch handle those "resolution" modes, as i said, Wii resolution is fixed, only active screen size can be changed, scaled, etc
lack of sharpness [when in 256 horizontal and not 512] is undoubtedly due to filtering being applied, either through software or through hardware:"

What you and others term therefore '240p' is actually a resolution of 720x240. So let's get one thing clear - by default alone it will never be the same as the 'native resolution' used by a SNES/Genesis or whatever else (and most of the SNES 'native' resolutions actually were 224 in height - with only a few exceptions). And as you can read also in ekeeke's reply - this is essentially a 'non-scaleable' hack for all these different systems.

The problem for a multi-emu/multi-game app like RetroArch is that ekeeke's approach to geting a picture that looks as close to a native resolution is to 'double' horizontally the picture - so, a 256 x 224 goes to 512 x 224 for instance - doesn't scale well when you're dealing with resolutions like - say - 384x224 for CPS1/CPS2/CPS3 - all of a sudden you're looking at 768 x 224 then. So this approach is not scaleable for all systems.

Reactions: Coto

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what Ekeeke told nintygaming:

"the Wii always output the same resolution signal, which is 720x480 (720x576 for PAL) interlaced/progressive or 720x240 (720x288 for PAL) non-interlaced (also called double strike or "Original" in emulators).
the maximal active screen SIZE (size that can be rendered by the Wii GPU in one pass) corresponds to the size of the embedded framebuffer (EFB) and is 640x528.
the video hardware can then be configured to position (generally centered but it´s up to the developer) your rendered screen (640x448 or 640x224 for example) in the video signal window (720x480 or 720x240 as explained first), the "inactive" pixels being output to black.
what i do in "original" mode is to render the emulated active screen (320x224 for most Genesis games but some games use 256x224 and Master System or Game Gear games do as well) then DOUBLE it horizontally to 640x224 or 512x224 inside the embedded framebuffer, using Wii GPU texture hardware (GX) scaling.
GX scaling by default applies heavy bilinear filtering when upscaling so I have to disable hardware filtering if I want the image to remain sharp and not blurry. The fact that the screen width is simply doubled prevents scaling (generally visible when games are scrolling if you use a non-integer scaling ratio with no filtering).
This other way is to use a feature of the Wii Video encoder which is able to upscale horizontally the framebuffer rendered by the Wii GPU up to the max. resolution (720 pixels), without any noticeable filtering ( understand, not blurry).
So what I do is taking the rendered frame buffer, 640x224 (384x224 with overscan emulated) or 512x224 and let the Video Encoder upscale it to a COMMON and FIXED size (something like 644 pixels, which comes from my calculation based on Genesis and Wii pixel clocks, and match my observation against my real Genesis output on the same TV). And yes, the 256x224 original screen also needs to be upscaled to that common width because pixels in this mode wasn't square pixels at all on the real thing, while Wii pixels always are. Similarly, pixels in 320x224 mode aren't exactly square, which is why the screen is still upscaled to little than simply 640 pixels. All of this is because of the different pixels used on Genesis in the different resolution modes and on the Wii.
i don't know how retroarch handle those "resolution" modes, as i said, Wii resolution is fixed, only active screen size can be changed, scaled, etc
lack of sharpness [when in 256 horizontal and not 512] is undoubtedly due to filtering being applied, either through software or through hardware:"

What you and others term therefore '240p' is actually an interlaced / progressive resolution of 720x240. So let's get one things clear - by default alone it is not the same as the 'native resolution' used by a SNES/Genesis or whatever else.

The problem for a multi-emu/multi-game app like RetroArch is that ekeeke's approach to getting a picture that looks as close to a native resolution is to 'double' horizontally the picture - so, a 256 x 224 goes to 512 x 224 for instance - doesn't scale well when you're dealing with resolutions like - say - 384x224 for CPS1/CPS2/CPS3 - all of a sudden you're looking at 768 x 224 then. So this approach is not scaleable for all systems.

Nevertheless, most new TVs have problems displaying weird resolutions like that. For instance the Mega Man X Collection will not work on most TVs unless you either have a composite cable, or a way to convert the signal with a device. It's fine just the way it is on my TV, only the true purists will complain.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Glad eke eke was able to clear things up for you. Hopefully it will help for future RetroArch releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night