Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this has been asked before... but for the FBA roms is there anyway to switch arcade settings and stuff? like go to service mode for example?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
not sure if this has been asked before... but for the FBA roms is there anyway to switch arcade settings and stuff? like go to service mode for example?
Yes, it has been asked before, repeatedly. And yet:

retroarch-libretro-README.txt said:
HINT: To go to the Service Menu of games (ie. a F3 key press), press and hold START + SELECT + L + R.
They don't call it a README for laughs. There's no way to set dip switches yet, but the service menu is adequate for most games.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
It plays fine on the same LCD because the 360 probably isn't outputting a 480i signal, you're probably using the component cables with the console set to 720p, compared to using the default composite cables that came with the Wii which can only do a 480 signal. Besides, it seems like the other guy is talking about an entirely different delay problem relating to the controllers themselves.
You are probably assuming too much, an early search and you would have found that I use component cables. The only difference is the TV rescaling from 720->768 on the 360, vs 480->768, which is not something to care much about since that is less demanding than scaling 720->1080 on most 360 games, an no FPS gamers bitch about it.
You only need a bunch of random guys coming here complaining about the same phenomenon, and a bit of common sense to know that something is wrong with RetroArch (or the Wii) and the CC Pro. But just to let you know, don't post if all you are going to do is create more confusion to no techies.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry i did not notice there was a read me with the download... i should of looked a little bit better... i'm still a noob at heart.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
You are probably assuming too much, an early search and you would have found that I use component cables. The only difference is the TV rescaling from 720->768 on the 360, vs 480->768, which is not something to care much about since that is less demanding than scaling 720->1080 on most 360 games, an no FPS gamers bitch about it.
You only need a bunch of random guys coming here complaining about the same phenomenon, and a bit of common sense to know that something is wrong with RetroArch (or the Wii) and the CC Pro. But just to let you know, don't post if all you are going to do is create more confusion to no techies.

You do realize that your post didn't imply anything about specific controllers lagging so it was only fair to assume it was your setup (especially since you compared it to your 360 on the same LCD). The other guy clarified it's a problem specifically with the classic controller.

Also, on another unrelated topic, I'd like to see RetroArch be compatible with USB keyboards.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
sideskroll was talking about CC Pro, hence my reply was also about CC Pro. My original post also was about CC Pro. I'm not the one who is offtrack.
Anyways RetroArch despite all the glory of managing to run CPS2 is still full of issues, so all we got to do is wait because releases here are very spread apart.

saison

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to play CPS2 and Neo Geo games, they're still in their .zip format, and it will just tell me "ERROR - An error occurred during ROM loading."

Any help?

Also, I have read that (is it just Neo Geo?) that can only run games around 23mb and under? That can't be the only issue, because some of these .zips are around 4mb.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I don't have a Classic Controller Pro so I'm not in an ability to test and/or do experiments with it. Perhaps ToadKing does.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i found a bug or a weird error why playing TMNT turtles in time. when i get to the neon night riders stage. nothing shows up just the back ground i can't see me or the bad guys and i took a screen shot of it. if you guys need it let me know i'll upload it.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I don't have a Classic Controller Pro so I'm not in an ability to test and/or do experiments with it. Perhaps ToadKing does.
Yeah. It definitely has to do with the CC.
Maybe it just has to do with the fact that most (if not all) emus ported for the wii are based on gamecube versions, therefore it would make sense for the GC controllers to be more responsive. Although it wouldn't explain the fact that it's also very playable when using the wiimote alone...
Anyway, I'm really hoping that you guys can figure this sh*t out ASAP cause it's a real problem, not just some random guy being an a$$hole.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I don't know about "confusing" the no-techies, what I do know is that they're trying to deny a REAL PROBLEM. not some isolated issue having to do with CRTs>LCDs, component>composite or wired>wireless.
I've read that some guy modified some of tantrics emus to resolve a delay problem (though I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with the GC controller instead of the CC) so maybe that would be a good place to start?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know about "confusing" the no-techies, what I do know is that they're trying to deny a REAL PROBLEM. not some isolated issue having to do with CRTs>LCDs, component>composite or wired>wireless.
I've read that some guy modified some of tantrics emus to resolve a delay problem (though I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with the GC controller instead of the CC) so maybe that would be a good place to start?

This has nothing to do with input latency or 'built-in' input lag in either the libretro cores or retroArch itself - but it's probably due to a specific quirk when using a Classic Controller Pro and libogc.

Anyway, without the hardware I'm not able to take a look at it - and the normal Classic Controller works just fine - I can vouch for that at least. And I am not going to take money out of my own pocket just to obtain the hardware that you say is malfunctioning [with RetroArch]. So unless there's a trivial fix I don't see myself 'fixing' this anytime soon.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i dont understand whats wrong with the classic controller pro in retroarch? i havnt noticed anything? anyone care to clue me in.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This has nothing to do with input latency or 'built-in' input lag in either the libretro cores or retroArch itself - but it's probably due to a specific quirk when using a Classic Controller Pro and libogc.

Anyway, without the hardware I'm not able to take a look at it - and the normal Classic Controller works just fine - I can vouch for that at least. And I am not going to take money out of my own pocket just to obtain the hardware that you say is malfunctioning [with RetroArch]. So unless there's a trivial fix I don't see myself 'fixing' this anytime soon.
I didn't say that.
And I don't know how or what you are doing to get the "normal CC" (which is the same one I have) to work. It isn't the "pro" version or whatever its called.
Lastly, I'm not saying it's malfunctioning WITH RETROARCH. I'm saying it doesn't work either with RETROARCH or any other EMUS for that matter. The lag/delay starts from the HBC onward, If I launch ANYTHING BUT the HBC/retroarch/X-homebrew the lag/delay is non-existent.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't say that.
And I don't know how or what you are doing to get the "normal CC" (which is the same one I have) to work. It isn't the "pro" version or whatever its called.
Lastly, I'm not saying it's malfunctioning WITH RETROARCH. I'm saying it doesn't work either with RETROARCH or any other EMUS for that matter. The lag/delay starts from the HBC onward, If I launch ANYTHING BUT the HBC/retroarch/X-homebrew the lag/delay is non-existent.

So you're getting 'absurdly high' input delay with a Classic Controller (non-Pro)? I definitely am not experiencing that. I do all my Wii testing on a Sony CRT TV from 1998 or so - so dunno if it's down to the display device or not.

I'd like to hear from more people first whether they're experiencing problems of this nature. It might be that we're not covering some specific quirk to do with input in libogc.

For the record - about 'Tantric's emus' - if this is the 'fix' you're referring to -

https://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/source/detail?r=718

then it's of absolutely no use to us since we never checked the return value of PAD_ScanPads to begin with - every frame input is sampled for all pads regardless of what it returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: