[Request?] Looking for multiplayer GBA emulator/patch

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Naucitos, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Naucitos
    OP

Naucitos Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2012
    United States
    Hi i'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this.
    That said, i've spent some time looking for a way to play the old battle network games with a friend on a console we currently carry around with us.
    Is there any chance that in my searches i've missed a gba emulator that can run multiplayer games?
    Is there one in the works?
    Is there a way to use the ingame VC and gba emulator to run GBA multiplayer?
    I have CFW installed but also don't mind buying the game again if that would help.

2. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Impossible. Gba is 100 percent impossible, as there are too many issues to link. The only plausible idea would be to hardmod your 3ds and attach a gba link came manual, which i don't think you'd want to do. Gb vc is almost possible, though each game needs specific patches to make it work.

3. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Impossible. Gba is 100 percent impossible, as there are too many issues to list. The only plausible idea would be to hardmod your 3ds and attach a gba link came manually, which i don't think you'd want to do. Gb vc is almost possible, though each game needs specific patches to make it work.

4. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    GBA VC works fine on 3DS (but you need to inject them as VC games - you can't emulate them on 3DS). Getting multiplayer working, however, is not possible, since the games aren't emulated, meaning you'd technically need a physical link cable, but the 3DS isn't really designed to allow such a thing, even if you modified it. There might be a way but if there is, I don't know of it.

In terms of GBA emulators that can run multiplayer games, you won't get one on 3DS, but there are some in existence for PC. There are various versions of VisualBoyAdvance that'll do it, such as VBA-Link or VBA-M (hopefully I'm getting those names correct - I haven't used them in a long time). I think NO$GBA might be able to do it now too.

5. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    The NES VCs allow for multiplayer via Download Play, so with some tinkering, I'm sure we could find a way.

6. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    No, it's not possible. GBA VC under-clocks the 3DS to run the GBA games natively. NES games use a networking/communication layer of the emulator to achieve multiplayer. Hence why one would need to actually physically link two 3DS consoles together - agb_firm (the GBA firmware that is loaded when GBA VC games are loaded and the 3DS under-clocks then reboots) is expecting a link cable so you would need an emulation layer to cover the signals, and as far as I know, that's not possible with the 3DS hardware.

Let me put it this way: Nintendo tried to do it and couldn't figure it out (apparently). The chances of being able to reverse-engineer such a method are slim-to-none, though to my knowledge (and to be fair, I'm no programmer nor hacker, at least not any more than a script kiddie), this just simply isn't possible with the way the 3DS is designed and with the way it loads agb_firm.

7. Naucitos
    OP

Naucitos Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2012
    United States
    Thanks! Not the answer i wanted but its nice to have a definitive answer!