United States
Reactions: 8BitWonder

Reineke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To "look into it" is a weird response, they're making it sounds like they weren't even aware that this exists in the console. Then again, this might have been the reply of someone at the "front-desk" or whatever, who really couldn't be bothered on a Sunday afternoon, so they just went with a standard response.

I really hope they don't patch this out though.

Reactions: rileysrjay

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Polygon asked Nintendo about this and all they said back was that they were "looking into this". Dunno if that means there's gonna be a patch to remove this soon or if they'll actually say if this is an Easter egg that's accessible or not.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/17/16323452/nintendo-switch-golf-emulator

Well its almost certainly in there on purpose. Nintendo has some sort of plan for it, or perhaps wants it to remain some obscure unlockable easter egg that we need to discover ourselves. Regardless, they're not going to admit to either. So their non answer is pretty much what you'd expect them to say.

Reineke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tried it, doesn't work - plus, the buttons would be a bit too high for the left Joycon, and also it's just a bit too random to be true - turn the JoyCon upside down, attach it backwards to the Switch, then press these buttons, probably!! Hrrrm. :/

Setery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it, doesn't work - plus, the buttons would be a bit too high for the left Joycon, and also it's just a bit too random to be true - turn the JoyCon upside down, attach it backwards to the Switch, then press these buttons, probably!! Hrrrm. :/
well considering I didn't do anything like that, I doubt that's the way it activates

Reactions: hms and blinkzane

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Long-time lurker here, now considered signing up here after reading the news this morning and researching it.

I have a theory about all this, but it unfortunately further implies that the Flog-emulator simply cannot be called through normal means and without additional software (as in, official software from Nintendo that triggers this). I do believe OP has seen what he claims to have seen, but I don't think it required any input from his side. Instead, he might have unintentionally manipulated the hardware, likely by over-heating the console. At least this is how people explain strange occurances in Switch-games like these that don't just create visual glitches but also affect all aspects of the games:

And similar things have been seen in Breath of the Wild as well, likely from the same causes.
(See 4:02)

What seems to happen is that games (and probably software in general) starts loading data from the "wrong" areas and adresses, probably because the over-heated RAM isn't working as it's supposed to. I'm not gonna pretend I know too much about these things, but I do think I understand that much and find it a likely theory. Given this, I could imagine that the Switch tried to boot the Home Menu, but erred on picking the right adress, and booted up the Flog-emulator instead.

Now, if the Switch of OP was just standing by in the Home Menu or any other menu in the OS, it seems a bit unlikely that the console would work itself up so much that it would generate enough heat to affect the internal hardware, but maybe OP played something else for a long time, then switched over to the Home Menu immediately, and THAT lingering heat did the magic, even as he was away? I could imagine that the console panicked from too much heat, shut down and then booted up again immediately, only this time accidentally calling upon the Flog-emulator instead of the Home Menu.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it doesn't seem wholly unlikely, does it?

The other thing I was considering - if we are to assume that there IS a way to boot up the Flog-emulator properly, as an easter egg - is if there's something about the original 'Golf' from 1984 that could lead us to the emulator. We established that the Konami-code doesn't work, but maybe there's a cheat-code or special input, or special number, or special name in the credits, that somehow can be used as an input in the Home Menu and that loads up the emulator?

I didn't find anything yet, but if I were to look further, I would go with the Famicom-version. It wouldn't be the first time that a modern console references the Famicom:

I just really want someone to figure this out :V

This seems very likely. If your overheating theory is correct, this will be difficult to replicate.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did mention earlier how difficult it is to actually overheat the console unless it's on purpose.
Perhaps you were using it on a very sunny day, curtains open, and a disturbance in the Van Allen belt together with an unexpected solar flare allowed an excess of cosmic rays to corrupt some RAM location in your Switch.
That would be difficult to replicate, but you could ask NASA to take it in a trip to outer space and test if that triggers the game.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well considering I didn't do anything like that, I doubt that's the way it activates
I'm wondering if it's a button combination then let the switch set on the home screen for an allotted amount of time or possible leaving it on a certain selection for a period of time

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm wondering if it's a button combination then let the switch set on the home screen for an allotted amount of time or possible leaving it on a certain selection for a period of time
I've tried to read back but do you remember if you still had a game open while on the home screen or was the game completely closed out?

Setery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've tried to read back but do you remember if you still had a game open while on the home screen or was the game completely closed out?
From my posts I recall saying that I had recently exited out of the eshop

Reactions: blinkzane

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for delving into memes but I figured why not make this real quick
private flog.jpg

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Incase anyones wondering if its anything to do with your Switch being turned on for over x days/time, ive had my switch literally always on for weeks now (No joke), ive never had it run out of battery and always hopped it into the dock to charge it keeping it on lol

Also do notice the combo seems to be:
> Hold X
> Now also hold Y
> Let go and hold B
> Now do something with the analog stick? Possibly click maybe?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What if the combo takes inspiration from the contra code?

I already asked this...

If the OP didnt hit a combo, and just left it, then it cant be a code thing (even though it makes sense to be a combo)...

What about this (I know its random):
OP said he exited FACEBOOK aka "F"
Where are L, O, & G in the system?
Gallery?
Options?
friends List/activity Log?
What if is something silly like a combo of specific clicks within areas of the menu?

IDK I just woke up....

Edit: I just wish @Setery had hit that damned screenshot button...

Last edited by KiiWii,

Tsubakiandou

Mystery member
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
inb4 this is a giant troll and everyone is just desperate for something "hack" related on the switch, so everyone wants this to be true.
but i dont know nothing can be certain :moogle:

edit: this can also be a rare occurence and be inside some dev tool not meant for users.

Last edited by Tsubakiandou,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
inb4 this is a giant troll and everyone is just desperate for something "hack" related on the switch, so everyone wants this to be true.
but i dont know nothing can be certain :moogle:
It's too perfect that OP would suggest this happened when nothing about Golf on the Switch was known.. But now with it known that it IS on the system it's just such a weird situation...OP could be a troll (he did sign up just for this right?) and he hit the absolute troll-jackpot and his potential shitpost turned out to be plausible..

Inb4 OP is actually one of the hackers and found about all this earlier and posted it and waited for others to find it too..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxH_Th3-LI