Homebrew {Request} Can someone look into the FLOG Emulator? [Updated]

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I said to him: Mein Problem ist das bei mir auf der Nintendo Switch nach dem Aufwecken aus dem Standby ein komisches Altes Spiel namens Golf erschien. Wissen sie was das sein könnte?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In English that means; My Problem is that my Nintendo Switch shows an old Game called Golf after i waked it up from Standby. Do you know why this happens?
I think he crashed and the connection dropped out.

Reineke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Long-time lurker here, now considered signing up here after reading the news this morning and researching it.

I have a theory about all this, but it unfortunately further implies that the Flog-emulator simply cannot be called through normal means and without additional software (as in, official software from Nintendo that triggers this). I do believe OP has seen what he claims to have seen, but I don't think it required any input from his side. Instead, he might have unintentionally manipulated the hardware, likely by over-heating the console. At least this is how people explain strange occurances in Switch-games like these that don't just create visual glitches but also affect all aspects of the games:

And similar things have been seen in Breath of the Wild as well, likely from the same causes.
(See 4:02)

What seems to happen is that games (and probably software in general) starts loading data from the "wrong" areas and adresses, probably because the over-heated RAM isn't working as it's supposed to. I'm not gonna pretend I know too much about these things, but I do think I understand that much and find it a likely theory. Given this, I could imagine that the Switch tried to boot the Home Menu, but erred on picking the right adress, and booted up the Flog-emulator instead.

Now, if the Switch of OP was just standing by in the Home Menu or any other menu in the OS, it seems a bit unlikely that the console would work itself up so much that it would generate enough heat to affect the internal hardware, but maybe OP played something else for a long time, then switched over to the Home Menu immediately, and THAT lingering heat did the magic, even as he was away? I could imagine that the console panicked from too much heat, shut down and then booted up again immediately, only this time accidentally calling upon the Flog-emulator instead of the Home Menu.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it doesn't seem wholly unlikely, does it?

The other thing I was considering - if we are to assume that there IS a way to boot up the Flog-emulator properly, as an easter egg - is if there's something about the original 'Golf' from 1984 that could lead us to the emulator. We established that the Konami-code doesn't work, but maybe there's a cheat-code or special input, or special number, or special name in the credits, that somehow can be used as an input in the Home Menu and that loads up the emulator?

I didn't find anything yet, but if I were to look further, I would go with the Famicom-version. It wouldn't be the first time that a modern console references the Famicom:

I just really want someone to figure this out :V

Last edited by Reineke,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long-time lurker here, now considered signing up here after reading the news this morning and researching it.

I have a theory about all this, but it unfortunately further implies that the Flog-emulator simply cannot be called through normal means and without additional software (as in, official software from Nintendo that triggers this). I do believe OP has seen what he claims to have seen, but I don't think it required any input from his side. Instead, he might have unintentionally manipulated the hardware, likely by over-heating the console. At least this is how people explain strange occurances in Switch-games like these that don't just create visual glitches but also affect all aspects of the games:

And similar things have been seen in Breath of the Wild as well, likely from the same causes.

What seems to happen is that games (and probably software in general) starts loading data from the "wrong" areas and adresses, probably because the over-heated RAM isn't working as it's supposed to. I'm not gonna pretend I know too much about these things, but I do think I understand that much and find it a likely theory. Given this, I could imagine that the Switch tried to boot the Home Menu, but erred on picking the right adress, and booted up the Flog-emulator instead.

Now, if the Switch of OP was just standing by in the Home Menu or any other menu in the OS, it seems a bit unlikely that the console would work itself up so much that it would generate enough heat to affect the internal hardware, but maybe OP played something else for a long time, then switched over to the Home Menu immediately, and THAT lingering heat did the magic, even as he was away? I could imagine that the console panicked from too much heat, shut down and then booted up again immediately, only this time accidentally calling upon the Flog-emulator instead of the Home Menu.

The other thing I was considering - if we are to assume that there IS a way to boot up the Flog-emulator properly, as an easter egg - is if there's something about the original 'Golf' from 1984 that could lead us to the emulator. We established that the Konami-code doesn't work, but maybe there's a cheat-code or special input, or special number, or special name in the credits, that somehow can be used as an input in the Home Menu and that loads up the emulator?

I didn't find anything yet, but if I were to look further, I would go with the Famicom-version. It wouldn't be the first time that a modern console references the Famicom:

being a show off brainiac with your first post ehh
it does seem pretty legit though what your saying

Reineke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
being a show off brainiac with your first post ehh

dude i went through hell to even get this account, i had to go into the SPAM FOLDER to find my activation mail so if i didnt put some extra effort into this first post WHAT EVEN WAS IT ALL FOR?????

That feel when Qlaunch crashed/died, but no golf on your switch :cry:

Ahh man I'm sorry to hear and see that. How did this happen?

Last edited by Reineke,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really cool mystery. i love that Nintendo has hidden away something like this in the Switch. But what I find most interesting is the added optional motion control to Golf. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of that for classic titles. it'd be prtty great to play Punch Out by throwing real punches with the left and right joycons.

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

I was thinking the exact same, what backs it up is the fact that both the Home Menu and the Flog file are both under 'qstart' in the system file and there isn't much else in it really so I'm inclined to agree with you on this. It could have easily launched the news app or something else instead.

Reactions: Reineke

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Um it was a joke lol
He meant you had drop it out of a bedroom window and catch it with the joycons :P
Anyways, I would say it could be a button combo at the start of booting up or possibly similar to the 3ds browser Easter egg with the Mario theme (maybe it could be the Zelda theme or something?)
Who knows, maybe this is being saved for when the browser official is released.
I know it is a joke and I was sarcastic, LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1