ROM Hack Replacing WiFi Setup Interface

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
4,979
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
219
Country
United States
RagnarokDS uses a Japanese WiFi Setup Interface.
I assume it is possible to replace it with one from another game.
Has anyone attempted this before? or know where I can find out how to do it?
 

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
4,979
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
219
Country
United States
Noitora said:
IIRC It should work if you replace the utility.dwc file.
I didn't have a utility.dwc, but I did have a ..\dwc\utility.bin which I assume is the file in unpacked form?
I replaced it with one from Order of Ecclesia, but the WiFi menu is still in Japanese.
As anime4ever said, you can just change the settings in another game, or the DS itself so its not a big deal.
I just think it'd be cool to have it all in English for the translation.
 

FencingFoxFTW

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
404
Trophies
0
XP
228
Country
yeah it's utility.bin

funny cuz I replaced it too(with the Ecclesia one too) but never tried it out

btw, if you repack the game with DSBuff you can shave off some MBs
 

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
4,979
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
219
Country
United States
HernanZh said:
I wrote a little bit about changing utility.bin into English over here
"nside, there is a filename section and a pointer section. (Size can differ for games, so it's no use naming the addresses). One could change all the pointers so it points to the English files (didn't try), but it's also possible to rename the filenames so the English files are used. The first letter stands for the language (e for English and j for Japanese), so if you replace all e's with j's, the wifi settings become English. Also there is one file called 'eng.bmg', which should be replaced with 'jap.bmg'."
Thanks for your reply.
I have a question...
I'm not sure if I'm just confused, if I'm not getting it, or you possibly made a mistake/typo in your write up.
Do you mean to replace all the 'e's with 'j's? or all the 'j's with 'e's?
'e' to 'j' doesn't seem like it would change the English to Japanese, where 'j' to 'e' would be Japanese to English.


==================================================


Well I tried editing the file in NotePad++ (Hex Editor plug-in), but every time I packed the ROM with the modified file, it would lock up when I access the WiFi config screen. I will try again at some point tomorrow with XVI32 to see if I have better luck with that.
 

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
1,775
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
The World of Illusion
XP
308
Country
Indonesia
'e' to 'j' is correct. What he's implying is this:
1. The game uses files from utility.bin
2. The files has a letter in front of its name, pointing to which files are used
3. Respectively, 'j' points to Japanese files(used), and 'e' points to English files (optional)
4. By changing 'e' files to 'j' - since the renamed file will still point to English files- English files will be used, because the game will look for these files, and they will point to English files.

That's about it
 

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
4,979
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
219
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Well I tried editing the file in NotePad++ (Hex Editor plug-in), but every time I packed the ROM with the modified file, it would lock up when I access the WiFi config screen. I will try again at some point tomorrow with XVI32 to see if I have better luck with that.
I tried it with xvi32 today and changing the eb->jb/et->jt or jb->eb/jt->et causes the game to lock up when changing to the WiFi Config menu. Artlan also tried and got the same results.
Any hints/tips/suggestions would be welcomed.
 

Noitora

::
Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
3,760
Trophies
1
Age
31
Location
Athens
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
268
Country
Greece
twiztidsinz said:
twiztidsinz said:
Well I tried editing the file in NotePad++ (Hex Editor plug-in), but every time I packed the ROM with the modified file, it would lock up when I access the WiFi config screen. I will try again at some point tomorrow with XVI32 to see if I have better luck with that.
I tried it with xvi32 today and changing the eb->jb/et->jt or jb->eb/jt->et causes the game to lock up when changing to the WiFi Config menu. Artlan also tried and got the same results.
Any hints/tips/suggestions would be welcomed.
open utility.bin with crystaltile and replace the japanese files inside with the english ones.
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3N1 @ K3N1: Priscillalisa