Remove GamePad launch requirements

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Zaweet, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    After going through this quick guide, you will be able to launch any game that requires the GamePad to launch without the GamePad connected. This is useful for games like NES Remix and Super Mario Maker that work just fine without the GamePad connected but for some reason still need the GamePad to launch. I'll assume you already know how to use FTPiiU Everywhere. Of course this can be dangerous if you screw something up in the nand and I'm not responsible for whatever you do. You know the drill.

All you need to do change the "drc_use" tag in the games meta.xml from a 2 to a 1. That's all you need to do!

If the game is installed on your nand and the game doesn't have an update the file path is
    /storage_mlc/usr/title/00050000/Last 8 digits of the games title id/meta

If the game is installed on a usb drive and the game doesn't have an update the file path is
    /storage_usb/usr/title/00050000/Last 8 digits of the games title id/meta

If the game has an update installed on nand the file path is
    /storage_mlc/usr/title/0005000e/Last 8 digits of the games title id/meta

If the game has an update installed on your usb drive the file path is
    /storage_usb/usr/title/0005000e/Last 8 digits of the games title id/meta

Sinon, pelago, SlothWiiPlaza and 4 others like this.
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    people have been using this with haxchi since the button presses are locked due to needing the game pad. ;)

3. El 15

El 15 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    Mexico
    Does this work in Home brew launcher?

4. Zaweet
    OP

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    It should work just fine. You'll still need a compatible controller inside the launcher though

Ryccardo likes this.
  5. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Nice tutorial, anybody know how to shut down completely my game pad, now I rarely use wiiu know cauz of other consoles, but everytime I turn it on, the battery is always ran out.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Assuming you're using the standard (small) battery, there's a lot of space around it -- perfect to add a switch that disconnects the red wire... or manually unplug it every time :)

wicksand420 likes this.
  7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    wut?! nope, i always knew there's a ways to shut it down completely, it's annoying as fuuuk, everytime i wanna use wiiu and pad's battery is always dead, any other solutions??

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Both ways I mentioned achieve the goal perfectly... I am not sure if a simple (call a system function) software way exists at all, but certainly there's nothing out yet that implements it

9. trunske

trunske GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2016
    I recommend you open the gamepad battery , its pretty easy because it was a Switch.

Anyway there a little trick, When you turn on console o when you launch the game, on the screen loading title you can hold the Power Buton from gamepad and it wlil shut down completely

[​IMG]

10. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I tried it, doing so will also shut down wiiu, right steps should be turn on wiiu, then immediately press and hold power bottom to turn off game pad ?

11. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2009
    Is it possible to modify the Wii U System Settings app so it can be loaded without the GamePad? and then control it with a Wii Remote/Wii U Pro Controller?

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    there's a way to do this with games, but I know of no way to do this with the system itself.

13. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    always keep it plugged in like I do

14. Codemastershock

Codemastershock Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2013
    Brazil
    It is possible to shut down the GamePad entirely without removing the battery.

Press Sync button twice, it wiil prompt to sync the GamePad, and then press and hold the Power button on the GamePad.

Problem is that turning off to hold the battery life when the console is powered down dont work because it is a trait of the GamePad itself, it works when you want to play something like Mario Kart 8 with Pro Controller.

Every battery has a discharge rate when idle and this battery is reasonably fast and to help, the GamePad keeps the WiFi turned on everytime. Unlike the common knowledge, it is this chip that is responsible for the bad battery life, not the screen.

Last edited by Codemastershock, Dec 25, 2017
    Feffe likes this.