Homebrew [Release] Zelda 3T for 3DS

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
titre.png

Today I'm releasing the port for the 3ds of the long awaited third chapter of this Zelda fan game saga: Zelda Time to Triumph.

Story : After the events that occured in Termina and the victory of the hero on his evil alter-ego, Zelda and Link knew that, from the bottom of hell, Ganon the immortal drawed his power from his wish to the Triforce, and rounded up his army with a view to invade Hyrule. Until the day when, after months spent watching out for an attack, an event came up and put an end to this endless waiting...

More info about this game are in the official site of the game: http://www.zeldaroth.fr

While the other two games where using a fake SDL layer, this one uses the SDL lib for 3ds.

Compiled game (3dsx and CIA versions): https://github.com/nop90/Zelda3T/releases
Source: https://github.com/nop90/Zelda3T

The first chapter is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-zelda-roth-for-3ds.425503/
The second one is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-zelda-olb-for-3ds.429986/

Credits:
The original game is made by Vincent Jouillat (http://www.zeldaroth.fr)
This game uses the SDL 1.2 library for 3ds

Changelog

Ver. 1.0 (24 September 2017)
- Added possibility to change item with touchscreen
- Small fixes to text

Ver. 0.2 alpha (22 September 2017)
- Fixed the main memory leaks.

Ver. 0.1 alpha (21 September 2017)

- First alpha release. The game is complete, but sometimes crashes for some memory leaks to be fixed. Save often your game.

Installation

In the zip there is a folder with the 3dsx and the smdh files inside, to be used with a homebrew launcher. All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

The CIA file is to be installed with FBI. below there is a QR code to download the cia from FBI.

All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

The game creates a Zelda3T subfolder inside the 3ds folder if doesn't exist. Here will be saved your game progresses.

QR Code for FBI

Zelda3T_v1.0.cia.png
(Click to enlarge)

Commands

- Read / Open / Speak: A
- Confirm / Pass text: A
- Move Link: Arrows and D-PAD
- Run : R hold (you need the boots)
- Use sword: B
- Spin attack: hold B then release it when fully charged (after the tone)
- Pause game and activate item selection: L + START
- Use selected object: Y
- Pick up items: X
- Put mask: L + X
- Teleport ONI at the temple entrance: L + R
- Open the map: START (outside of dungeons)
- Open the map: START (in dungeons)
- Open lists screen (fishes, monsters, barter items): L and B
- Change list: L and B
- Look around: L and direction
- Enlarge / Shrink screen size: L and A
- Show help: L and Y
- Save / Quit: SELECT
- Close the game: SELECT from the title screen

Known Bugs

- Sometimes crashes. Save often your game

To Do List

- Add French language and language selection menu
- Add item selection with the touchscreen

Screenshots

Z3T_1.png
Z3T_2.png

Z3T_3.png
Z3T_4.png

Z3T_5.png
Z3T_6.png

Last edited by nop90,

Liambass

Trophies
XP
Country
I've only played a little so far, and it all seems to work, it runs a little slow though? There were a few little typos here and there, I imagine these are from the original translation but do you want me to keep track of them for you as I go through?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There were a few little typos here and there, I imagine these are from the original translation but do you want me to keep track of them for you as I go through?

@nop90, this looks fantastic! A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game. Thanks for your hard work.

Edit: I also see a typo in the second screenshot, it says "exil" I believe you meant "exile".

The missing "e" seems to have found it's way onto the end of "Princess".

Thank you for reporting typos or any other problem.

Text is from the original sources and I didn't spent time checking it. Since the author is french, it's possible that will be other typos.

Let me know and I'll fix them

Better do it today... Ninety will take this down asap

No, it won't happen. There are four chapters of this fan game, available for several platform, and the code is mirrored some github repos.

At the moment Ninty is much worried about Switch hacking.

I've only played a little so far, and it all seems to work, it runs a little slow though?

SDL is slow on the 3ds hardware, but a game port is much faster using it.

Just bought a used PS Vita. If I find time to setup the vita toolchain, as my first project I'll port Zelda3T on PS Vita too (there are only the first two chapter available at the moment). On Vita this should run very fine.

And I hope to port these games on Switch in the future :lol:.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just released a new version with a very big and subtle memory leak fixed.

I played the game for about an hour without problem, so it seems to be stable now.

Also fixed the reported typos and other small thing in the text, and as last thing reduced the sound frequency from 44100 Hz to 22050, in the hope to gain a little bit of speed.

Next I'll work on the touchpad and, if I have time, on adding the french language version.

Will be happy to add other languages if someone translates the game (but I warn you, it's a very big work).

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I started playing using v0.2 alpha and while I did not see any typos, I came across something strange in the first dungeon of the game. In the temple of courage on floor B1F in the room in the lower right corner there is a pushable block that can be pushed through the entire room. Is this normal and maybe caused by the limitations of the game engine this was built on?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I started playing using v0.2 alpha and while I did not see any typos, I came across something strange in the first dungeon of the game. In the temple of courage on floor B1F in the room in the lower right corner there is a pushable block that can be pushed through the entire room. Is this normal and maybe caused by the limitations of the game engine this was built on?
I can't undetstand. What limitation are you talking of?

What behaviour you expect the block should have?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Are you talkig about the block in front of the chest where is located the dungeon map? You only have to move that block one space left or right, so to pe able to open the chest and take the map.

Since it's not required to have played the previous chapters of the game, it's probably there to teach new gamers to interact with blocks (it's a very basic puzzle to solve, even if you don't know that blocks can be pushed).

Liambass

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't claim to know much about coding and optimisation and such, but would a build without sound yield any fps boost?

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't claim to know much about coding and optimisation and such, but would a build without sound yield any fps boost?
No, to boost the performance we need to build the SDL lib with opengl support, but caelina lib is not compilabile with the new ctrulib.

I'm not able to fix it and the author didn't answered to a request to mantain the lib.

Last edited by nop90,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...