Status
Not open for further replies.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get your hopes up for N64 emulation. This has been beaten into the ground, but here it is again. Even on the N3DS with 100% of the resources opened up, it will be rough getting anything playable on there. N64 worked as well as it did on the PSP as they had a similar architecture (MIPS). Even then, Kreationz put an incredible amount of work into it as it's difficult to emulate even then. The N64 is a bit of a mess hardware wise. The N3DS and 3DS use ARM. Yeah, the (N)3DS's CPU is more advanced, but there's a lot there to emulate on a very different CPU on a handheld that's really not that powerful.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, just improbable. I could see one coming about that has Mario 64 working well, but more proof of concept. It would take more work and time than most homebrew developers would take the time to do it. Remember, for most this is a hobby or practice. I'd be surprised if we saw a PS1 emulator that could compare to the PSP's POPS in any way. Just don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by TecXero,

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to comments those that said emulator run at full speed... That is wrong.

One example is snes to perfectly emulate snes without ANY bugs, glitches you name it. You will need atleast 3GHz to emulate it and all Games, due to timing issues as emulating singlecore hardware on a multicore hardware is hard and requires ALOT of power.

Here is an article by the creator of bsnes about why 3GHz is needed to perfectly emulate the snes without patchng certain areas just to be playable. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Yeah no, you don't need to worry about byuu's weirdness. You don't need cycle perfect emulation in this sort of situation.

The bsnes cores shouldn't even be considered for porting. Snes9x-Next is the only snes thing that's relevant.

zsnes was mostly some crazy patching/asm, but it was doing an acceptable job on like.. a pentium 1 on software rendering.

greyneon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah no, you don't need to worry about byuu's weirdness. You don't need cycle perfect emulation in this sort of situation.

The bsnes cores shouldn't even be considered for porting. Snes9x-Next is the only snes thing that's relevant.

zsnes was mostly some crazy patching/asm, but it was doing an acceptable job on like.. a pentium 1 on software rendering.

Im not worry :) reason i posted were that many people in here thinks that just reaching or go over the hardware specifications of the older platform with specifications of the newer is enough to emulate the older one.

Sort of poking hopes in many hopes of a for example a N64 Emulator.

As said before, it will probably just be a proof of concept and maybe crash patchng involved.

Were just trying to make people not knowing how it really works to understand maybe just a little of what's involved with emulating hardware ranger than reproduce

And to incoming "what about ocarina of time and majoras mask?"

Well... To start they aren't even emulating here.

One shot might probably be a flash cart with the resources to reproduce or emulate the N64 with hardware IF that is possible.

But I think not as the flash carts are just mere flash memories, and not external pcbs as with cart based consoles.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Don't get your hopes up for N64 emulation. This has been beaten into the ground, but here it is again. Even on the N3DS with 100% of the resources opened up, it will be rough getting anything playable on there. N64 worked as well as it did on the PSP as they had a similar architecture (MIPS). Even then, Kreationz put an incredible amount of work into it as it's difficult to emulate even then. The N64 is a bit of a mess hardware wise. The N3DS and 3DS use ARM. Yeah, the (N)3DS's CPU is more advanced, but there's a lot there to emulate on a very different CPU on a handheld that's really not that powerful.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, just improbable. I could see one coming about that has Mario 64 working well, but more proof of concept. It would take more work and time than most homebrew developers would take the time to do it. Remember, for most this is a hobby or practice. I'd be surprised if we saw a PS1 emulator that could compare to the PSP's POPS in anyway. Just don't get your hopes up.

I seems to be the only one here that don't mind about N64 emulation. That console didn't have many games. And very few of them were good. PS1 emulation would be rather cool though. There were many great shmups on the PS1 :)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seems to be the only one here that don't mind about N64 emulation. That console didn't have many games. And very few of them were good. PS1 emulation would be rather cool though. There were many great shmups on the PS1 :)
Well, I could see it happening, but I doubt it will be on par with the PSP's POPS. Especially with the work that would be needed to split up the code across multiple cores and somehow still keep it stable. I'm not sure if it would be playable on the old 3DS outside of a few less intense games.

SonikkuTheGreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get the GBA emulator to work. I put the BIOS in the correct folder. I load the emulator and press Load Content but it can't "see" the ROM I'm trying.

skebeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
does not work for me. i only get a blank, black upper screen and red touchscreen when i run it.
bios is in :\\3DS-2535\microSD\retroarch\cores\system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries