RetroArch 1.9.12 released, adds new cores for Steam version and retro handhelds

header (2).jpg

The Libretro team has just released a new update for RetroArch, bringing some new quality of life features and improvements to the frontend, as usual. The first notable part of this new version, 1.9.12, sees the addition of a new core to the Steam version of RetroArch. The Picodrive emulator, which has support for Sega Master System, Genesis, 32X, and CD games, is now available for download as free DLC through Steam. RetroArch also now added a multitude of core support to various handheld emulation devices, such as the Pocket Go, New BittBoy, and PowKiddy Q90, which means mGBA, Genesis Plus GX, ScummVM, and more are officially supported.

You can check out the full changelog and grab the new release over at the Libretro official site.

:arrow: Source

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope the PICO-8 emulator matures further...

...and I don't know how to properly emulate it, but I'd love to see a Playdate emulator at some point:

I'm aware that an official simulator comes with every unit or might even be a free download in the future to gather more developers but I prefer to have everything in RetroArch. :P

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m hoping this has good Steam Deck support, with Cloud Saves this could become my definitive emulation method.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do something about it then. I loved my PSPs, I upgraded to a Vita once it made sense to (Sony certainly wasn't trying to sell me a Vita) but I put my $5 down on a Steam Deck and I'm not looking back.

The Vita just won't accept some of the PSP games DLC even if you got it legally.

And I already have both a Switch and a laptop so I don't see the point in getting a Steam deck. Plus is not available in my country anyway.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The Vita just won't accept some of the PSP games DLC even if you got it legally.

And I already have both a Switch and a laptop so I don't see the point in getting a Steam deck. Plus is not available in my country anyway.

Well then I don't know what you're trying to say. I wish RA worked better on the Vita too, but I'm not going to complain about it because I can't code so I can't help. I'm getting a Steam Deck, so I really don't care what happens to the Vita port of RA at this point.

Same with Wii....
And PS2

It doesn't help to complain that the port you want to use doesn't work well. Go help fix it.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
Well then I don't know what you're trying to say. I wish RA worked better on the Vita too, but I'm not going to complain about it because I can't code so I can't help. I'm getting a Steam Deck, so I really don't care what happens to the Vita port of RA at this point.

It doesn't help to complain that the port you want to use doesn't work well. Go help fix it.
Wasn't complaining
There was an entire meme on older systems

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Hardware wise the most powerful you can emulate correctly on the Vita is, besides the Playstation, is 16 bit consoles. The GBA does work but with frameskipping.

Retroarch was originally made for the PS3 is just too heavy for the Vita. And modern Retroarch is even worse.

I am mostly angry that the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo emulators for the Vita have not been updated in ages cause Retroarch exists for the Vita. And using them on Retroarch is slower.

zwq939681378

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hardware wise the most powerful you can emulate correctly on the Vita is, besides the Playstation, is 16 bit consoles. The GBA does work but with frameskipping.

Retroarch was originally made for the PS3 is just too heavy for the Vita. And modern Retroarch is even worse.

I am mostly angry that the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo emulators for the Vita have not been updated in ages cause Retroarch exists for the Vita. And using them on Retroarch is slower.
For GBA games, just overclock your Vita and use gPSP core, then you would get good performance and you can even use fast forward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night