Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is realy good but i noticed that it runs at pal speeds sadly so bacicly my roms im used to running at 60 fps runs at 49.9 fps on the dot but its playable and works on rpghax (yes i managed to get that before nintendo patched it it works on 11.6) so ill give it a 9/10

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is realy good but i noticed that it runs at pal speeds sadly so bacicly my roms im used to running at 60 fps runs at 49.9 fps on the dot but its playable and works on rpghax (yes i managed to get that before nintendo patched it it works on 11.6) so ill give it a 9/10
Next version will make the default FPS for World ROMs be 60.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine the next emulator port will be Yabause (Saturn emulator), but it's dynarec code needs to be reworked for 3DS, since it's slow on RetroArch 3DS. :P

Last edited by RocketRobz,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I image the next emulator port will be Yabause (Saturn emulator), but it's dynarec code needs to be reworked for 3DS, since it's slow on RetroArch 3DS. :P
I would be the odd ball here, but seeing bubble2k's incredible coding abilities, I would like to suggest a port of a Virtual Boy emulator for the 3DS with proper 3D.

It's like a match made in heaven, Virtual Boy emu in a 3DS, which has sadly not seen the light of day yet.

D

Deleted User

Oh also, it seems like the version of Picodrive 3DS on the TitleDB for FBI is still 0.91 instead of the latest 0.92 :P

I would be the odd ball here, but seeing bubble2k's incredible coding abilities, I would like to suggest a port of a Virtual Boy emulator for the 3DS with proper 3D.

It's like a match made in heaven, Virtual Boy emu in a 3DS, which has sadly not seen the light of day yet.

1. 0.92 isn't the latest because the one released on gbatemp is just a beta. He said that he will update it soon.

2. Retroarch has a pretty decent Virtualboy emulator. I just don't use it because it hurts my eyes.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine the next emulator port will be Yabause (Saturn emulator), but it's dynarec code needs to be reworked for 3DS, since it's slow on RetroArch 3DS. :P
Ya know, I'd love to see him at least try something regarding N64 or PS1, at least for new 3DS. Everyone says N64 is impossible, but given how well his are done, I wouldn't be surprised if it did decently. And PS1 runs okay on RetroArch, surprisingly enough, so a dedicated port ought to work well.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know, I'd love to see him at least try something regarding N64 or PS1, at least for new 3DS. Everyone says N64 is impossible, but given how well his are done, I wouldn't be surprised if it did decently. And PS1 runs okay on RetroArch, surprisingly enough, so a dedicated port ought to work well.
N64 is impossible

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
PS1 is a lot less advanced than the N64 in terms of hardware. And N64 is so notoriously hard to emulate that we still don't have a perfect emulator on computers.
And considering that I can't get SM64 working well on a computer with 4 GB of RAM and a 1 GHz processor, the N3DS has no chance in hell.

And every single time someone says this, someone says "u fcking liar the psp can emelate n64 good"
This is because the PSP and N64 share the same processor, which means there's less hardware that need to be emulated, with the processor being one of the most difficult things to emulate.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Oh also, it seems like the version of Picodrive 3DS on the TitleDB for FBI is still 0.91 instead of the latest 0.92 :P

Yup. Cos there's a very nasty crashing bug in v0.92beta when opening Mega CD games that I've only just fixed. In some 3DSes you may experience getting booted out to the Home menu, in other versions, it will crash with an ARM11 exception.

So I will probably release an official 0.92 in a couple of days after more testing. :)

I won't want to kill myself rewriting major parts of the emulator... and not even getting it close to 60FPS. So N64 is probably out. :) I'd rather work on something that is likely to push to 60 FPS with just some work and there.

Isn't there one already written? My take is that the library of games are too small to invest so much time in it. :)

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
PS1 is a lot less advanced than the N64 in terms of hardware. And N64 is so notoriously hard to emulate that we still don't have a perfect emulator on computers.
And considering that I can't get SM64 working well on a computer with 4 GB of RAM and a 1 GHz processor, the N3DS has no chance in hell.

And every single time someone says this, someone says "u fcking liar the psp can emelate n64 good"
This is because the PSP and N64 share the same processor, which means there's less hardware that need to be emulated, with the processor being one of the most difficult things to emulate.
PSP is easy to emulate even on android though

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
PSP is easy to emulate even on android though
The PSP is less advanced I think. N64 has some ridiculous chips in it that are notoriously hard to emulate.
There's also stuff that can't be emulated or something that causes differences between playing on N64 and emulators.
The most known thing is probably the difference in how Morpha looks on N64 and emulators.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Isn't there one already written? My take is that the library of games are too small to invest so much time in it. :)
There is one which was a PoC/WIP called r3Ddragon.
https://github.com/mrdanielps/r3Ddragon

Though that one hasn't been touched in years I think, and no commercial ROM works at playable speeds.
It might be of some help or base to work on, but I don't know a thing about this nor technical stuff on emulators.

What i believe is that any non-3D console would work at a decent speed on a 3DS, since it would require less processing power, and to be honest I doubt anything from Saturn and onwards could work at good speeds on the 3DS.

In short, Virtual Boy in 3D without the obnoxious huge red visor is a dream I'd love to see. :D

Oh and thanks for the explanation on the beta, I will look forward for the official version in the TitleDB. :)
And no wonder I didnt bump into the CD issue, I have no Sega CD games in my library lol

Reactions: wicksand420

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
N64 is impossible
Not impossible but you would need a very good dynarec core and it would almost certainly have to be a HLE emulator like UltraHLE/Corn/etc which means limited game compatibility and no possibility of Rareware games.

I won't want to kill myself rewriting major parts of the emulator... and not even getting it close to 60FPS. So N64 is probably out. :) I'd rather work on something that is likely to push to 60 FPS with just some work and there.

My suggestion would be either a Gambatte port or getting mGBA working full speed on the o3ds. Also, I am not sure if you already know but someone made a simple library that will check if the dsp firmware file is present and automatically dump it (from the home menu .code section) if it is not.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My suggestion would be either a Gambatte port or getting mGBA working full speed on the o3ds. Also, I am not sure if you already know but someone made a simple library that will check if the dsp firmware file is present and automatically dump it (from the home menu .code section) if it is not.
Working on GameYob is a good option too.
It's mostly working, it just needs some tweaks from the DS version to work just fine, although I'd go for mGBA mostly, since that already works amazingly with almos all GB/GBC titles, and just needs some ARM specific code to get the most heavy games like Golden Sun 2 working 60 fps.
GS2 works at like 50-55 right now, dropping mostly to 45.
All other games work between 55-60 with zero to no issues.

But yeah, Gameyob, mGBA or r3ddragon would be my suggestions :P

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Working on GameYob is a good option too.
It's mostly working, it just needs some tweaks from the DS version to work just fine, although I'd go for mGBA mostly, since that already works amazingly with almos all GB/GBC titles, and just needs some ARM specific code to get the most heavy games like Golden Sun 2 working 60 fps.
GS2 works at like 50-55 right now, dropping mostly to 45.
All other games work between 55-60 with zero to no issues.

But yeah, Gameyob, mGBA or r3ddragon would be my suggestions :P
these emulators are for old 3ds though i don't think mgba runs close to 60 fps on old 3ds.

JohnSheridan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would love to have a good MSX Emulator on 3DS. I think it should be possible on O3DS. And the MSX have hundreds, even thousands, of fantastic games!

A Game Gear Emulator would be fantastic too.

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Tested Final Fight CD with the latest r150 bulid on my new3ds. I can hear occasional noise on background music, and a continuous "pop" sound when stage 1 start. The noise and "pop" sound are not obvious, but they don't exist when using Retroarch Picodrive Core. If you use earphone and compare the music of these two emulators, I am sure you will notice the difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-