• Replies 341
  • Likes 20

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Install a sys update different from the browser with this tool, and you'll propably brick the 3DS.

If you want to experiment, use a hard modded 3DS so you can restore your nand if it bricks.

Reactions: Margen67

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can install any cia directly with palantine's ctrclient?
I always thought that it would require to install devmenu first, then install the browser title, because that's what every body is doing.
But I can install the browser title directly on my sysnand without using a leaked sdk file.

I just need to put all palantines files to SD, your boot.bin and that's all.
Launching gateway exploit will allow cia install on SysNAND, then use ctrclient to send the browser.

users reported that using ctrclient is not always successful, they had to try and reboot their emuNAND multiple times.
Is it an emuNAND redirection issue, or does it happen on sysNAND too?
I wouldn't want to install cia on sysNAND and fail midway because of instability.

Edit:
Well, that ends my questions. ctrclient.exe from palantine doesn't work on WinXP 32bit...
so, I can't use that method
I guess if nobody has a 32bit version my only solution is devmen/brm from gateway.
there's so many users on 64bit now? I feel like the last 32bit user

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How to install this cfw over palantine?
just replace the boot.bin file on your SD card.
it will not redirect NAND to emuNAND and everything will be done on your sysNAND.

I still don't like the word "custom firmware" as it's not one. you don't replace your firmware at console's boot, you only launch a homebrew to patch files.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I still don't like the word "custom firmware" as it's not one. you don't replace your firmware at console's boot, you only launch a homebrew to patch files.

I agree, but when in the past i used different names, a lot of people misuderstood and started a never ending loop of nonsense "so if I do this ... maybe I could obtain that ...". I'm hoping that KARL will clean this bad habit :lol: .

users reported that using ctrclient is not always successful, they had to try and reboot their emuNAND multiple times.

Same issues. But strangely I found this patch a lot more stable while in CTRsrv mode (booting with L Key pressed).

I wouldn't want to install cia on sysNAND and fail midway because of instability.

Installing only the browser should not be daungerous. If it fails, the browser wont start, but your FIRM will nor be bricked. So you can still do a new install. For other firmware updates a connection interruption could be potentially a disaster. The same of turning off the 3DS (or any other device) during system update.

Instead of devmenu you can install Big Red Menu. You will wait a little more, but it works.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can install any cia directly with palantine's ctrclient?
I always thought that it would require to install devmenu first, then install the browser title, because that's what every body is doing.
But I can install the browser title directly on my sysnand without using a leaked sdk file.

I just need to put all palantines files to SD, your boot.bin and that's all.
Launching gateway exploit will allow cia install on SysNAND, then use ctrclient to send the browser.

Edit:
Well, that ends my questions. ctrclient.exe from palantine doesn't work on WinXP 32bit...
so, I can't use that method
I guess if nobody has a 32bit version my only solution is devmen/brm from gateway.
there's so many users on 64bit now? I feel like the last 32bit user

Yes... Because there's absolutely no reason to stay on 32bit. 32bit restricts you to 4GB of system RAM usage, and has worse performance than 64bit. Is your CPU not capable of 64bit? If it is, then get your ass onto Windows 7 already, or even 8/10

Reactions: Margen67

MrCheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, if I unthinkingly followed a guide's advice and formatted my sysnand to unlink it from emunand/cfw, this is useless to me, right?

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is a chain of multiple exploits to gain full control over the system, load a modified (i.e. "custom") FIRM image (yes, the magic header is even called FIRM) and then soft reboot the system. It is literally, by definition, "custom firmware". Gaining an entry point during the systems initial boot (as opposed to when we gain access during a soft reboot) just enables automated persistence. boothax is a matter of convenience and does not change the definition or the overall rest of the process.

Reactions: cearp

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a chain of multiple exploits to gain full control over the system, load a modified (i.e. "custom") FIRM image (yes, the magic header is even called FIRM) and then soft reboot the system. It is literally, by definition, "custom firmware". Gaining an entry point during the systems initial boot (as opposed to when we gain access during a soft reboot) just enables automated persistence. boothax is a matter of convenience and does not change the definition or the overall rest of the process.
Relys sure knows how to make a point. Well, that settles that.

I hope this puts end to that "but it's not a CFW unless it loads at boot" bullshit.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, it's a modified FIRM title.
But I'm on the impression users think that redirecting the eMMC (EmuNAND, redNAND, etc.) is what is called a custom firmware.
thinking that being on emuNAND is being on a Custom firmware.

You look at the FIRM patching process, I looked at the results, what users have access to and that they are calling custom firmware (which is a copy of their system, not a custom one).
users usually call the full system file the "firmware". "I'm at firmware 9.2.0 !" which is NOT the firmware.
like you said, the firmware is only a file (which has FIRM in the header)

just a different point of view I guess.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I edited that post right now.

That DSWare cia works in emunand too with Palantine CFW. So there is nothing strange if it works in Sysnand with sign check removed.

Reactions: Kelton2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o