ROM Hack [Release] Monster Hunter Double Cross English UI Patch

ayamekizunaxz

Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
I tried the patch and it worked. Right now I'm looking for the latest version of MH XX. My game is not in the latest version (since it says update is available).

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried the patch and it worked. Right now I'm looking for the latest version of MH XX. My game is not in the latest version (since it says update is available).
Then either try to update (some region free games do it successfully without any fuss), but if it fails use FreeShop to update the game or use google (look up "MHXX update 1.2").

Reactions: mistvenom

Zoiskiee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome work here, hopefully more gets translated, but this is good enough!
Anyone wanting to play MHXX online that's an English Speaker message me with Kik Messenger ;P

my user is @Zoiskiee

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is this project complete? I was thinking about playing this instead of Generations (since from what I understand the beginning part is identical) and it would be like playing 3U instead of Tri? But is all dialogue still in japanese? I know Mon Hon story is typically minimal but if Im playing it for the first time id like the minimal story there is.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this project complete? I was thinking about playing this instead of Generations (since from what I understand the beginning part is identical) and it would be like playing 3U instead of Tri? But is all dialogue still in japanese? I know Mon Hon story is typically minimal but if Im playing it for the first time id like the minimal story there is.

Menus and items -- the more traditional Monster Hunter jazz -- is in English.

I believe all dialog from NPCs has not been touched whatsoever outside of menu selections, so you'll either have to Google Translate it with your phone, or deal with it.

Seeing as most of the content in the game is from Generations, I'm surprised nobody from the community made a variation of this patch with that stuff brought over. It increasingly looks like XX will never be released internationally, so going beyond a menu patch might be ideal for the game at this point.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Seeing as most of the content in the game is from Generations, I'm surprised nobody from the community made a variation of this patch with that stuff brought over. It increasingly looks like XX will never be released internationally, so going beyond a menu patch might be ideal for the game at this point.
If you mean that the translation from Gen should be ported over as patch, that would be 100% illegal, while translating yourself falls in grey areas...

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean that the translation from Gen should be ported over as patch, that would be 100% illegal, while translating yourself falls in grey areas...

I don't see why it'd be illegal if you required a copy of Generations to generate the patch. That was how the FFXII IZJS patch handled the english script.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't see why it'd be illegal if you required a copy of Generations to generate the patch. That was how the FFXII IZJS patch handled the english script.
That was done OFFICIALLY by the company owning the game, not a fan translation. It's a matter of whether you own the rights to use it or not.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There is nothing illegal going on there at all. Nothing copyrighted is being distributed.
The translation IS copyrighted, ALL of it. If they used official translation as a base and are sharing it along with their translation, then it is illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Anyway, this is derailing the thread, so I'll leave things here.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation IS copyrighted, ALL of it. If they used official translation as a base and are sharing it along with their translation, then it is illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Anyway, this is derailing the thread, so I'll leave things here.

They are not sharing the official translation. It would be good to actually look at the thing I linked instead of assuming.

It is also not off topic/a derail; the same approach could be adapted for this. It would be a matter of dumping the romfs from Generations using a Luma plugin or braindump, then using a PC-side tool to do extraction/processing. I don't know how much processing it would take because I honestly don't know this game from a coding perspective very well.

You seem to think that I mean that the patch should include the Generations romfs or something, but no. I am saying that the user should be dumping their own romfs specifically to *avoid* that.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They are not sharing the official translation. It would be good to actually look at the thing I linked instead of assuming.

It is also not off topic/a derail; the same approach could be adapted for this. It would be a matter of dumping the romfs from Generations using a Luma plugin or braindump, then using a PC-side tool to do extraction/processing. I don't know how much processing it would take because I honestly don't know this game from a coding perspective very well.

You seem to think that I mean that the patch should include the Generations romfs or something, but no. I am saying that the user should be dumping their own romfs specifically to *avoid* that.
I DID look at what you posted and it IS illegal. Dumping the OFFICIAL translation from Gen and sharing it (even if you first merge it with XX's or something) is 100% illegal, reason it has not been done. The text itself is copyrighted, not the romfs. That's why fan translation can't be word for word similar to official ones.

PS: It is derail as it has already been explained in the past on this thread, long ago.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Does seem like a way around the matter but at the same time seems like a pain, I believe the team behind Great Ace Attorney have you grab the font from the English Release of a previous another AA game during the patching process since they can't legally distribute it.

I had thought about trying to write something that would do this but I'm lazy and inevitably that patch would end up online without most going through those steps and then no doubt this patch would get associated with it due to splash screens and such unless removed and well just seems like a huge hassle for the original team.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

What about providing some sort of guide of doing it yourself from your own copy of generations? Directions wouldnt be illegal right?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What about providing some sort of guide of doing it yourself from your own copy of generations? Directions wouldnt be illegal right?
No, that would be legal provided it's intended for people with legit copies of both Gen and XX. However, it's not as simple as a copy paste, so most people would mess up their files badly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...