[Release] Lemmings for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bayleef, Sep 16, 2016.

1. TarkinMX

TarkinMX GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2009
    United States
    Just came across this last night and my wife and I are loving it. I put it on both our 3DSes but she keeps stealing mine from me when I'm playing for some reason and beating the levels on MY 3DS. :P

2. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Your wife sounds annoying.

3. NuikopeaDemon

NuikopeaDemon Hello Darkness

Sep 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hastings
    lol dammmm dude your wife is obsessed with lemmings lol

4. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I've fixed that bug. Please install version 0.3.1 of the game.

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 9, 2016
    Vamosi likes this.
  5. 0bvious

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    I found a 'bug'.

Oh no More Lemmings, Wicked 2: Superlemming

This level is broken. This is a stand out weird level in the whole Lemmings catalogue. In the original game the single lemming on this level is super fast. Two or three times the normal speed. In your version though the lemming is normal speed, so the level makes no sense.

Hope a fix can be found!

Also....

There are a bunch of Lemmings sounds collected here. Is this enough to replace the DOS base?

6. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    @bayleef if the sounds are replaced can we have an option for adlib music ?for those of us that enjoy that old aspect :3 (despite yea i can acknowledge that the amiga version's superior )

TarkinMX likes this.
  7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Is it possible to save your progress?

8. Cralex

Cralex GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, it'll record which levels you've finished. No passwords required.

9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Will it record which levels you've finished?
    Will it require passwords?

10. NuikopeaDemon

NuikopeaDemon Hello Darkness

Sep 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hastings
    No password required :creep:
    Just click New Level and select the Level you've completed

Last edited by NuikopeaDemon, Oct 12, 2016
  11. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can select the level directly. Pretty cool!

12. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thank you for your bug report. It will be fixed in the next release (it is already fixed in source at github).

The first archive "Lemmings WAV files" might replace sound effects.
    At the moment I think about the best format to replace the music.
    At the one hand, using wave format may require users to convert music – and requires a lot of space on SD card. On the other hand, everything else would be more complicated to implement. Further, I underestimated the effort to implement alternative audio a bit (even using wave files). Finally, I don't have much time until October 21st, so I don't know whether I can implement it before end of October.

I plan the following behaviour of the game when playing a sound or tune.
    1. Look for corresponding sound file in a specific folder (maybe lemmings/audio).
    2. If such a file is not found, try to play sound or tune using ADLIB.DAT.
    3. If ADLIB.DAT does not exist either, ignore sound or tune.
    Thus, if you do not add files to lemmings/audio folder, nothing will change for you. You may also mix up ADLIB.DAT and wave files (by just adding a subset to lemmings/audio folder). At least, you could use your own wave files, which may contain any sound you like.

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 12, 2016
    Quantumcat and Cralex like this.
  13. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I am faster than I thought: Latest commit to github adds experimental playing of custom sound effects (not music). If you want to test it, build from source and see README.md. Known issue: At the begin of a level a rather quiet click sound may appear.

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 13, 2016
    0bvious likes this.
  14. 0bvious

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Awesome! Anyone got any tips for building a .cia from source?

15. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Just run make after checking out the submodule. cia file is built automatically when using the project's Makefile. (On Linux, really new g++ libraries are required; I've never tested building on Windows or Mac, but should work, too.)
    If big problems occur, you may simply wait for a release (it will come out when custom music is supported, too). However, I may also try to help you.

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 13, 2016
  16. 0bvious

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Thanks. I think this might be over my head. Downloaded devkitpro for windows, but can't get it to work.

17. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Okay, without devkit you cannot build it.

Unofficial release is attatched (built from newest source). This is NOT an official release. Version number of cia file is 0.4.0. The next official release will have the same version number, but more features. And it may be more stable. Edit: The current release is more up to date, thus I have removed this outdated preview.

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 22, 2016
  18. 0bvious

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Thankyou! Just trying to get my head around the sounds. I have matched a few of them with an archive I found, but some are missing or confusing. Any tips?

19. 0bvious

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Thankyou! Just trying to get my head around the sounds. I have matched a few of them with an archive I found, but some are missing or confusing. Any tips?

20. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    No offense to the OP and author of this, but wouldn't it be better just to download and install a VC .CIA of Lemmings from that iso site?

21. Cralex

Cralex GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    You mean a console release injected into VC? That'd work, sure, but I really appreciate the save feature, which not all versions have, and the intuitive touch controls.

22. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Have you ever tried to play Lenmings with a d-pad? It's considerably harder than with a mouse or touch screen. I tried it once and it was just no fun. You need precision and speed for a game like Lemmings.

Quantumcat likes this.
  23. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You may also use homebrew SNES emulator to run Lemmings for SNES. However, I wanted a game that can be modified according to my (and other's) wishes. The project is open source, so everyone can modify the game (will be easier when I have cleaned up the source more). I think the features from the wish list (e.g. custom controls, zoom, undo) will make touch screen control even better. And maybe we'll have multiplayer some day.
    I like the c-pad control–it's a bit like a trackpoint. Assigning a skill while paused makes c-pad control even easier (not possible in original game; it makes Mayhem 24 "All or Nothing" easier, too, but you are free to play this level without skill-assignment when paused).

Last edited by bayleef, Oct 14, 2016
  24. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Ideas / wish list
    • Circle pad moves whole screen instead of cursor
    • Picture showing the currently selected job on the top screen (easier to see with peripheral vision)
    • Key or key combo to restart level or go back to main screen so you don't have to blow up every lemming
    Probably not possible but would be cool :
    • Top screen shows zoomed in version of area where the cursor is (easier to pick out the individual lemmings)
    • Top screen shows a bigger version of the map (like what's in the bottom right of the main screen)
    Can I ask what the base of the project is? Can you give us a little spiel on how it works? I assume you don't have access to the source code of lemmings? It is very cool. I have dreamed of a 3DS port for Jill of the Jungle or Skunny (they don't run in DosBox) - maybe it's possible!!!

Also wanted to add this brings back fun memories of primary school when we got one hour of computer lab a week and we'd play all sorts of games including lemmings - I remember EVERYONE was stuck on the level where several trap doors open and there's some pick columns with a lemming trap in the obvious path underneath. That took me a few goes just now until I remembered what the solution was!! Games were way better as a kid with no internet to look up easy answers.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted