[Release] Lemmings for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bayleef, Sep 16, 2016.

1. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Clone of Lemmings. Version 0.6.3

Setup:
    Download the attatched file lemmings.zip. It contains .cia and .3dsx version.
    Fill the subfolders of the /3ds/lemmings folder with data from DOS Lemmings (see README.txt files in these subfolders). These files are not included in the archive since they are protected by copyright law. In order to run the software, at least one subfolder must be filled. You may fill any combination of subfolders, depending on the Lemmings games you own.
    There exist free demo versions, which contain 4–5 levels each. All demos are supported by Lemmings for 3DS. Since they were released for free, it should be legal to link to a download location. You can find free demo versions of Lemmings games here.

Video

Source code: https://github.com/esoteric-programmer/lemmings_3ds

Known issues and wish list: https://github.com/esoteric-programmer/lemmings_3ds/issues

Changelog

Attached Files:

Last edited by bayleef, May 25, 2017
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Im curious - what homebrew is this and what does it do? :)

3. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It's a clone of Lemmings for DOS.
    I thought everyone knows it, but maybe some users here are too young?

jt_1258, NuikopeaDemon and Sev501 like this.
  4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Ohh, okay cool. Good work :)

5. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Sweet! Downloading :yay3ds:

6. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Can you provide a sample of sorts? A video or a photo showing this?

7. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Freakin' /awesome/ ... Any chance you can make a .cia of this too? I know it's a bit troublesome with the copyrighted assets since you can't just pack it all in RomFS, but being able to install it directly would be nice. It might need a hardcoded path so the files don't have to go in the root of the SD card though.

8. ItsMetaKnight

ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2008
    kineticUk likes this.
  9. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Not for now. I was not smart enough to create a working rsf file - even for a test program that does not read anything from SD card. Maybe I will work on it later (I can't promise), but at the moment support for "Oh No! More Lemmings" and "Holiday Lemmings" has priority (since it should not be too much effort). Afterwards I want to focus on DSP (don't know whether I will succeed playing the music, but I hope I could play the FX sound at least). If all these things work, I could try again to create a CIA file...

No, I have implemented it from scratch. However, when I finish implementing my own wishlist (so maybe never ;)), I may implement user wishes (like "make it more like Lemmings for DS)

Last edited by bayleef, Sep 16, 2016
  10. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Tried it, it's awesome! Great work!
    One thing though, how do I quit back to hbl?

11. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thank you!
    Kill the game (L + R + B + Dpad-down). However, I could implement another way to quit in a few minutes - I just couldn't decide which keys to use.

12. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    If you're using a Makefile environment, just grab a copy of Steveice10's buildtools repo on github, put it in a 'buildtools' subfolder, then copy the Makefile from FBI's repo and tweak it for your libs and give it a new name/uniqueid/description for your project.

13. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Excellent, sounds like it might not be quite ready to replace Lemmings DS yet, but I thoroughly support this venture and will be keeping an eye on it :)

14. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thank you for this. I LOVE Lemmings. I remember getting the Amiga original for Christmas when it was first released. Can't wait to give this a try. Thank you!

dpad_5678 likes this.
  15. ThomasRobertWade

ThomasRobertWade GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    I'll give this a try once I get home.

16. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I want to encourage you to post wished features (or issues) that are not listed in the original post yet. I cannot promise to implement any of them, but I think such a list helps me making the game better.

17. Cid2mizard

Cid2mizard GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2007
    France
    Maubeuge
    Good works on my O3DS, Thanks.

18. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Really enjoying playing Lemmings on my 3DS :) Just a quick suggestion: please could you make either R or A function as the fast-forward button in addition to L? I'm left-handed, so having L bound to fast-forward is slightly annoying as it means I have to remove the stylus from the screen to press it. If it was bound to R or A, I could hold the 3DS with my right hand and do all the button controls with my thumb and index finger, and keep the stylus in my left hand :)

19. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    watched thread for when theres Oh No! more lemmings Support

20. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Download version 0.2 and create a file names LEFTHANDED.DAT in the same directory as lemmings.3dsx to swap L and R.

The original post has just been updated. Simply download version 0.2 (and report any bugs). Notice that the folder structure has changed. Please move the files from original Lemmings into the subfolder "orig".
    Oh No! More Lemmings can be accessed by setting the rate greater than "Mayhem" (or by leaving the "orig" folder empty. However, in the second case the original levels will be missing of course).

Last edited by bayleef, Jan 26, 2017
    Cid2mizard likes this.