Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I'm not sure about, and what I'm going to test.
Thanks buddy, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I used to get crashes when trying to go to the second page of the settings. I fixed up by deleting the .cfg files.
Actually I had that problem too once and deleting hbl.cfg and hbltheme.cfg fixed it. Not sure why it fixed it, but there is a lot of change going on in the config stuff so it shouldn't be surprising that it gets confused with old files sometimes ;)

Reactions: fmkid and JJTapia19

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was quite easy to reproduce. I tried mGBA which is large enough to show (for lack of a better term) the grey/white lines and the debug screen after opening it.

Note the slight stuttering on the water when the titles are still loading. The water's entirely smooth once all of them are loaded, and mGBA loads fine.
When I try to open mGBA while they're still loading, it freezes. Maybe you should add a way to stop that thread when you select homebrew?

It looks like it sometimes shows a red screen when you try to load "small" homebrew as well...

Last edited by ihaveahax,

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@mashers What's next on this list?
Here's a couple of things he have planned.
Thanks for all the feedback on the latest beta guys. I'll respond t each point below but won't quote the posts as it will make it too hard to read (plus I'm replying on my iPad so it's harder to quote).

• Adjust size of translucent boxes: I feel this will be overly complicated. If you need a custom sized/shaped translucent box then this could perhaps be incorporated into the wallpaper image itself
  • Water animation appearing at the top of the screen: yes I noticed this too. Previously it was hidden behind the status bar, but if you make the bar translucent then you can see it. It's to do with the water dropping down. Once I've got translucent animated water I'll change it so the water fades to become transparent rather than dropping down when it needs to get out of the way
  • Folder loading: I will be putting this in a background thread the same as the title menu so a loading page won't be needed
  • Moving folders out of root: good idea, and will also remove the need to add the .hbfolder extension. Perhaps the whole config could go into /gridlauncher/ and then anything within /gridlauncher/folders/ will be added as a folder. Any thoughts?
  • Konami code: there's no reason not to reinstate this now (I removed it when I was having memory issues and was trying to get the executable size down).
  • ZL/ZR: I'll try to make them multiple page scroll while holding them down
  • Loading indicator: nice idea. I'll add it to the todo list
  • Touch screen unresponsive: I think I know why this is. I've added a touch detection block when moving between screens. This was because previously a touch would be detected by a menu and then also by whatever the menu opened, causing unexpected results. The touch detection block starts when changing the menu status and prevents the menu from responding to touch events for a short while. I'll play around with the timeout delay on this to see if I can make it feel more responsive without reintroducing the original issue
  • Saving theme settings: good idea to save in a background thread. Added to the todo list
  • Toolbar icon alpha sliders: good idea, I'll make it a separate option from the alpha value of the buttons backgrounds
  • Title menu number of rows: yes this is a bug. I moved the variable which stores the number of rows from one global variable to a separate variable for each menu. I just forgot to update it so it stays in sync with the option. Added to the todo list to fix
  • Choppy water animation: this is likely because of the multi threading. Not sure I can change this, but I'll see if I can optimise anything. I don't like the idea of changing to the static water during loading as it will look like the app has frozen completely
  • Showing button names on reboot page: eventually these information/option pages will have D-Pad control so A will select the current option and B will go back. So the button names won't really be necessary
  • Holding buttons for multiple scrolling: possible but tricky... I'll consider it
  • Removing "Author:" - agreed, I'll remove it
Thanks guys, your feedback is amazing :)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you should add a way to stop that thread when you select homebrew?
Yes I believe this is the problem. I also need to add an option to disable the preloading of the titles in case some users only want this to happen then the open the title launcher. Unfortunately there is little I can do about the fact that loading it in the background causes performance issues as this is mostly down to the fact that it's multitasking. I could perhaps try to optimise the code I have added, though the more features I add clearly the more the performance is going to suffer. Perhaps users with lots of titles to load will either need to disable the preload (once I have added it) or disable some of the other features like the translucent panels.

Right now the next beta is not in a releasable state. I am migrating EVERYTHING into a subfolder from root so you will only have /boot.3dsx and /gridlauncher/, and am also adding the theme selector. Currently it's very broken and I've had a few beers :P:wtf:

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I believe this is the problem. I also need to add an option to disable the preloading of the titles in case some users only want this to happen then the open the title launcher. Unfortunately there is little I can do about the fact that loading it in the background causes performance issues as this is mostly down to the fact that it's multitasking. I could perhaps try to optimise the code I have added, though the more features I add clearly the more the performance is going to suffer. Perhaps users with lots of titles to load will either need to disable the preload (once I have added it) or disable some of the other features like the translucent panels.

Right now the next beta is not in a releasable state. I am migrating EVERYTHING into a subfolder from root so you will only have /boot.3dsx and /gridlauncher/, and am also adding the theme selector. Currently it's very broken and I've had a few beers :P:wtf:
Enjoying your own Homebrew? Or is it store bought? Lol

Reactions: SomeGamer

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Enjoying your own Homebrew? Or is it store bought? Lol
Hah! I wish I could take credit for that, but no it's Stella ;)

Ok, the new folder structure and theme selection seems to be working. I've not got it so in /gridlauncher/themes/ I've got my DKC theme/wallpaper and a new Mario one, and I can select between them. For some reason it doesn't always save the selection so when you go back into the launcher it sometimes reverts back to the previous theme. Not quite sure what's happening here, but I've made good progress anyway :)

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
That new update it its going to be great! As awesome as it already is you keep finding a way to make it even better. :yay:

@mashers clould you add a random theme option so it randomly changes the theme for others on the themes folder each time you restart the homebrew launcher?

Reactions: SLiV3R and MannCo

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah! I wish I could take credit for that, but no it's Stella ;)

Ok, the new folder structure and theme selection seems to be working. I've not got it so in /gridlauncher/themes/ I've got my DKC theme/wallpaper and a new Mario one, and I can select between them. For some reason it doesn't always save the selection so when you go back into the launcher it sometimes reverts back to the previous theme. Not quite sure what's happening here, but I've made good progress anyway :)
Somebody claim hbthemes.com!

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I'll keep improving the custom themes thread. All of the themes can be found from a nice list, open the list and click Crtl+F to search through the list, you can like the themes post and reply to the themes creators and theres a download counter for each theme. Im taking suggestions too to know how I can improve the thread more.

Last edited by JJTapia19,
Reactions: klear and fmkid

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the icon loader taxes the system I guess animated backgrounds are outside the realm of possibilities huh?

I know the regular home menu has "animated" backgrounds by scrolling through options, but I'd love to have an automagically rolling loliball on my bottom(or hell, TOP) screen.

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the icon loader taxes the system I guess animated backgrounds are outside the realm of possibilities huh?

I know the regular home menu has "animated" backgrounds by scrolling through options, but I'd love to have an automagically rolling loliball on my bottom(or hell, TOP) screen.
Problem with that: EPILEPSY THEME! :D

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, beta 38 is up on the first post.
  • All files and folders are now located in /gridlauncher. The necessary folders are created when the launcher opens if they don't already exist
  • Folders no longer need the .hbfolder extension
  • The word "Author:" has been removed from the app details
  • Adjusting colours no longer triggers the config to save - it's just saved once when you exit the settings
  • The title menu now shows the same number of rows as the main menu
  • Toolbar button symbols now have their own alpha slider
  • Theme selector - switch between any of the themes in /gridlauncher/themes/
Important note about this update

Because this update moves all of the files into /gridlauncher, when you open the launcher on beta 38 your config and theme will return to default. You will need to do the following:
  1. Run the launcher version b38 once
  2. Put your SD card back into your computer
  3. Move hbl.cfg and ignoredtitles.txt into /gridlauncher
  4. Make a folder in /gridlauncher/themes or use the Default folder
  5. Move /wallpapertop.png, /wallpaperbottom.png and /hbltheme.cfg into this folder in /gridlauncher/themes
  6. Move all your folders except /3ds into /gridlauncher/folders
Here is an example folder structure:
image.jpeg

Edit - the theme select currently uses the Panels icon. It's the last icon in the settings. A proper icon will be added shortly.

Last edited by mashers,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Folders no longer need the .hbfolder extension
6. Move all your folders except /3ds into /gridlauncher/folders​
This is the one change I'm not particularly fond of, because I feel it's easier to organize homebrew when they're all close to eachother, including the 3ds folder. Everything else is good.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you mean moving /3ds to /gridlauncher/folders/3ds ?
I meant having some way to keep them together at the root or something; although that wouldn't automatically detect each folder like it does now unless .hbfolder is kept. I'm probably just used to old ways, but I don't like having to go two/three folders in deep for organization.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: