Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
My 3DS has froze three times with the last beta. Two times while I tried to open FTpony, and one while I tried to open CTRXplorer (these two are the only apps I test since I got the last beta) :unsure:

with the lasted two beta, we have to wait the system titles background loading done before opening new homebrew

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the lasted two beta, we have to wait the system titles background loading done before opening new homebrew
Yeah, yeah, I know. The thing is that the last time my 3DS froze almost a minute later I boot my console. This is the very first time I have this problem with the launcher.

In the beta 37, I'd never get any freeze, even opening any app a few seconds after the boot.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My 3DS has froze three times with the last beta. Two times while I tried to open FTpony, and one while I tried to open CTRXplorer (these two are the only apps I test since I got the last beta) :unsure:
Can you try waiting until the title launcher has finished populating and see if this makes a difference?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just seen your replies. I think the problem is with the thread not exiting. I'll look into it. For now can you go back to beta 37?

Reactions: MannCo

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
same here, it freezes when I open a new application

Let me explain
boot -> ninjhax -> hbl -> new homebrew app placed recently in sd -> freeze
reboot -> ninjhax -> hbl -> try to run the same app that made the launcher crash before -> works

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I haven't noticed any consistency, what can I say for sure is that the screen gets glitched a lot more than before when whatever app boots (the screen gets particularly glitched with CHMM2)

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Beta38 again and I've just get another freeze just after close FTpony. Besides of this, I didn't get any other problem with CTRXplorer or any other app this time.

Edit: Another freeze while trying to open my Puzzle & Dragons cartridge with regionFOUR, after wait a few seconds after the boot :(

Last edited by MannCo,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Please try the version attached to this post. It disables the background title preloading entirely. I would be extremely grateful if anybody who is experiencing freezes when launching HB could please try this version and tell me if it fixes the problem.

Attachments

• boot.3dsx.zip
    426.6 KB · Views: 99

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
GREAT! Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to test that. I can't even tell you how worried I was that I had broken the launcher for you dudes. While I was waiting for you to get back to me I was working on adding an option to enable/disable the title preload. This is done now and will be in the next beta. @ketal and @MannCo: what devices/FW were you using when the crashes were occurring? I will try to resolve the issue if I can, otherwise some users might need to disable the preload if it's causing problems.

Reactions: MannCo

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Perfect guys, thanks so much. It's so so helpful that you've both posted this as I can see that the common characteristic is your hardware. Looks like this might be an o3DS issue, which makes me think it's almost definitely memory related. This would explain the additional glitching you're both seeing when launching homebrew. Or maybe the o3DS CPU doesn't multitask in the same way as n3DS. Either way, your help has been invaluable. For now there will be the option to disable background title launching. If I can get my hands on an o3DS then I might be able to actually fix the problem. Or when the source is up, an o3DS-owning dev might be able to take a look.

Thanks again buds!!!

Reactions: fmkid and MannCo

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
makes me think it's almost definitely memory related. This would explain the additional glitching you're both seeing when launching homebrew. Or maybe the o3DS CPU doesn't multitask in the same way as n3DS
I compared some homebrew apps on o3ds and n3ds and often the o3ds had small screen glitches, never seen them on a n3ds

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Perfect guys, thanks so much. It's so so helpful that you've both posted this as I can see that the common characteristic is your hardware. Looks like this might be an o3DS issue, which makes me think it's almost definitely memory related. This would explain the additional glitching you're both seeing when launching homebrew. Or maybe the o3DS CPU doesn't multitask in the same way as n3DS. Either way, your help has been invaluable. For now there will be the option to disable background title launching. If I can get my hands on an o3DS then I might be able to actually fix the problem. Or when the source is up, an o3DS-owning dev might be able to take a look.

Thanks again buds!!!
No, it's not O3DS specific. It does that on my 10.1 EU N3DS as well.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, it's not O3DS specific. It does that on my 10.1 EU N3DS as well.
Maybe the number of titles has an effect too, since this will use more memory and will also make the background loading thread run for longer. @SomeGamer do you have a lot of titles on the n3DS? And does using the version with disabled background loading make a difference?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?