Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect guys, thanks so much. It's so so helpful that you've both posted this as I can see that the common characteristic is your hardware. Looks like this might be an o3DS issue, which makes me think it's almost definitely memory related. This would explain the additional glitching you're both seeing when launching homebrew. Or maybe the o3DS CPU doesn't multitask in the same way as n3DS. Either way, your help has been invaluable. For now there will be the option to disable background title launching. If I can get my hands on an o3DS then I might be able to actually fix the problem. Or when the source is up, an o3DS-owning dev might be able to take a look.

Thanks again buds!!!
Nice, I really appreciate that option!

Last edited by MannCo,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Maybe the number of titles has an effect too, since this will use more memory and will also make the background loading thread run for longer. @SomeGamer do you have a lot of titles on the n3DS? And does using the version with disabled background loading make a difference?
If I use the one with disabled background loading, it works fine.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@mashers i just had an idea and I think it's a really good one. On the theme selection screen you could take us to a screen with the same format as the grid launcher and as CHMM2 does read a file named info.smdh with it's name,description and author. If the theme does not have the info.smdh you could take the title from the themes folder name. That way everything would have the grid layout and the theme icons would look awesome!

Last edited by JJTapia19,
Reactions: fmkid

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@mashers i just had an idea and I think it's a really good one. On the theme selection screen you could take us to a screen with the same format as the grid launcher and as CHMM2 does read a file named info.smdh with it's name,description and author. If the theme does not have the info.smdh you could take the title from the themes folder name. That way everything would have the grid layout and the theme icons would look awesome!
I did think about that, but the problem is that the grid does not have text under the icons so there would be no way of knowing which theme is which unless you select each one to see its info on the top screen. I could experiment with adding text under the grid icons and if it looks ok then I could definitely implement this for both folders and themes. Would be an easy way round the 8 folder/theme limit too since the grid code is reused everywhere there is a grid (main, titles, settings, colours) so the paging code would be automatically inherited. Nice idea! :)

Yeah, Save Manager freezes the launcher for me too.
Oh shit me too. I haven't used this in a long time. Ok I'll look into it. Sorry guys.

Reactions: JJTapia19

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't be sorry! You're doing an amazing work here and the launcher is still in beta, it just happens to forget about something

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks buddy :) Ok it's because the title launcher expects there to be titles there since the preload was introduced. If you're using the version with the preload disabled and open the save manager then there are not titles launched so it dies. If you open the title menu once to load the titles and then open SVDT then it works. I just need to make it check if the preload is enabled, and if not load the titles, before trying to launch SVDT.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok dudes, beta 39 is up. This adds the following:
  • Background loading of titles is now optional. If you have been having problems with stability since the introduction of this feature please try disabling it in the settings. The default settings is ON so you will need to go in and disable it if you don't want to preload the titles. You will then need to restart the launcher for this to take effect
  • Proper icon for the theme selector
  • Improved loading screen layout (if you have title preload disabled)
  • Fixes a hang with the save manager if title preloading is disabled

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought: Maybe for background loading, to allow having giant folders, only have the current, previous, and next pages loaded into memory. Then when you, for example, go to the next page, the old previous page will be unloaded from memory and the new next page is loaded into memory. This may require the alphabetical sorting feature to be removed, but it's just a thought.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a thought: Maybe for background loading, to allow having giant folders, only have the current, previous, and next pages loaded into memory. Then when you, for example, go to the next page, the old previous page will be unloaded from memory and the new next page is loaded into memory. This may require the alphabetical sorting feature to be removed, but it's just a thought.
Actually this is very possible. If I disable the extraction of the SMDH data when the directory is scanned then scanning should be much faster. Then when the entry is about to be drawn the smdh data can be loaded into it. That way only 8-12 entries needs to be loaded at a time which should be much faster. I'll give it a try at some point - thanks!

Reactions: SomeGamer

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I did think about that, but the problem is that the grid does not have text under the icons so there would be no way of knowing which theme is which unless you select each one to see its info on the top screen. I could experiment with adding text under the grid icons and if it looks ok then I could definitely implement this for both folders and themes. Would be an easy way round the 8 folder/theme limit too since the grid code is reused everywhere there is a grid (main, titles, settings, colours) so the paging code would be automatically inherited. Nice idea! :)
I would like having the name below the icon too but if it's to hard to get it working maybe you can display the name or part of the name where the icon goes like chmm2 does. With your font it would look good too. That way you wont have to rearenge the grid layout to make space for the names below the icons.

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small bug: The color changing screens can't be interacted with (other than the back button) until a second has passed since opening the screen.
EDIT: Also, the translucency of the top screen water seems to do nothing.
EDIT 2: The translucency value of the bottom screen toolbar icon backgrounds is printed twice on the slider.

Last edited by bunny365,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would like having the name below the icon too but if it's to hard to get it working maybe you can display the name or part of the name where the icon goes like chmm2 does. With your font it would look good too. That way you wont have to rearenge the grid layout to make space for the names below the icons.
Good ideas - I'll look into it :)

Small bug: The color changing screens can't be interacted with (other than the back button) until a second has passed since opening the screen.
EDIT: Also, the translucency of the top screen water seems to do nothing.
EDIT 2: The translucency value of the bottom screen toolbar icon backgrounds is printed twice on the slider.
That's because of the touch controls timeout which prevents the selection of a menu item from causing touches on the next screen. As I explained a few pages back I need to play with the timing of it to prevent errant touches while not making the UI feel sluggish. The water transluceny currently only works with static water. The transluceny value of the icon backgrounds slider is because the string is too long for the variable which contains the button text so the drawing function is overflowing to the next memory address. I'll increase the size of the variable and that should fix it.

Is it normal that some of the titles will leave only a black screen? I would love to be able to access the MicroSD management but that's all I end up with.

N3DS EUR 9.9
Yes it's normal. Not all of the titles can be booted from the launcher. You needs to add the title ID to ignoredtitles.txt to prevent it from showing in the title menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?