[Release] Fakemote: An IOS module that fakes Wiimotes from the input of USB game controllers

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also confirmed working with retroarch-wii
Yeah, but it depends on the core because it can work in the RetroArch menu when you start it for the first time but when you launch some other core that doesn't support fakemote - it won't work because RetroArch and it's cores are a broken piece of shit, but that's just a theory I didn't try it.

• Haha
Reactions: XFlak and impeeza

templar701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have tested several Retroarch cores and they have all worked with Fakemote so far.

Also, I have got the latest version of WiiSX working with Fakemote, which was my original goal!

It seems that not all channel forwarders are created equally and editing the start-up IOS to the FM cIOS may not be suffient. Someone trying these methods could be mistaken into thinking that thier homebrew app does not work with Fakemote when in fact it does! Here's how the issue can be overcome in case anyone is interested in testing Fakemote compatibility with a particular homebrew app.

As a sidenote, you don't actually need to edit the WAD forwarder's start-up IOS to the Fakemote one if launching from Wiiflow. This can be done by the wiiflow settings for teh channel. See below:

EDIT: added as a tutorial
https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-a-ps3-ps4-controller-with-homebrew-apps-fakemote.659069/

Last edited by templar701,
Reactions: XFlak and impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have tested several Retroarch cores and they have all worked with Fakemote so far.

Also, I have got the latest version of WiiSx working with Fakemote, which was my original goal!

It seems that not all channel forwarders are created equally and editing the start-up IOS to the FM cIOS may not be suffient. Someone trying these methods could be mistaken into thinking that thier homebrew app does not work with Fakemote when in fact it does! Here's how the issue can be overcome in case anyone is interested in testing Fakemote compatibility with a particular homebrew app.

As a sidenote, you don't actually need to edit the WAD forwarder's start-up IOS to the Fakemote one if launching from Wiiflow. This can be done by the wiiflow settings for teh channel. See below:

This creates a channel forwarder for your your system menu that loads a homebrew app and usable with Fakemote.
BRICK disclaimer - the following involves WAD editing and could render your console useless! - Ensure you have installed PriiLoader to be used as your escape hatch!
PC tools required - CustomizeMii, ModMii (where would we be without it! thank you @XFlak )
My setup - original wii, Wiiflow lite v5.5.4.1, cIOS247[58]-d2x-v11-beta1-FM051-[v65535]

1. Find any channel forwarder WAD that "works" with Fakemote (FM), to be used as your "Base" WAD. (You can test for a working WAD by changing the start-up IOS to your FM cIOS in CustomizeMii). Or just use this one - it works - https://gbatemp.net/threads/another-genplus-gx-forwarder.624815/#post-10049919

2. Run ModMii to create a small program (.dol) for the forwarding function to forward to your particular homwebrew /emulator app. Load ModMii and follow these menu options - A, F, 1, 1B, [enter path to your homebrew], A, M, [name your dol file], then go to downloads option "D". Save the .dol file - it will be required shortly. - (Sidenote - option 1B for v12 works - option 1 for v14 did not work for me).

3. Run CustomizeMiii, and under source WAD, load in your base WAD.

4. Go to the option tab, and under "new dol", select the .dol you created with ModMii.

5. Go to options tab and update the title ID (unique identifier) e.g. for WiiSx emulator I entered "WPSX" just to stay in keeping with https://www.gametdb.com/Wii/WPSX. (Don't give it a title ID that conflicts with one of your existing channels).

6. Under the options tab, change the start-up to the cIOS where your Fakemote was installed (e.g. I installed mine to slot 247).

7. Go to the title tab and give your channel forwarder a name.

8. This next step is about the looks! (the channel banner, animation and sound). The design of your BASE WAD will likely not match what your intended target homebrew app is. You can use CustomizeMii to give it the desired look. One easy way is to locate a WAD you like the look of, let's call it your "cosmetic" WAD. Go to the source tab, in customizeMii. Under the drop-down options for "banner", "icon" and "sound" path, navigate to your cosmetic WAD for each of these.

9. Hit the "Create WAD" option and save your new WAD - copy it to your wii, e.g via sd card.

10. Install your new WAD to the Wii system using your favourite WAD manager.

11. Launch your new channel via the system menu.

Wiiflow - my preferred option for usage

You can also launch your newly created forwarder channel under Wiiflow.
The channel can be found along with your other channels under the "Real Nand" section.
  • Under the settings for your forwarder channel, ensure that the cIOS is set to where your FM cIOS is installed (e.g 247 in my case).
  • I experience better compatibility if I also set the wiiflow start-up cIOS to my FM cIOS, under the general wiiflow settings.
  • Interesting sidenote - if you use wiiflow in this way, to launch your custom forwarder channel then you don't actually need to change the original WAD's start-up IOS to that of your FM cIOS slot. It seem the loader, wiiflow, overrides the IOS in which the channel is booted.
  • If wiiflow allowed us to set a cIOS startup for homebrew plugins, as it does for wii software and channels, then the above steps may not be necessary.
This Spoiles should be a Tutorial on that section!

Reactions: templar701

blue-spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Also, I have got the latest version of WiiSX working with Fakemote, which was my original goal!

This creates a channel forwarder for your your system menu that loads a homebrew app and usable with Fakemote.
BRICK disclaimer - the following involves WAD editing and could render your console useless! - Ensure you have installed PriiLoader to be used as your escape hatch!
PC tools required - CustomizeMii, ModMii (where would we be without it! thank you @XFlak )
My setup - original wii, Wiiflow lite v5.5.4.1, cIOS247[58]-d2x-v11-beta1-FM051-[v65535]

1. Find any channel forwarder WAD that "works" with Fakemote (FM), to be used as your "Base" WAD. (You can test for a working WAD by changing the start-up IOS to your FM cIOS in CustomizeMii). Or just use this one - it works - https://gbatemp.net/threads/another-genplus-gx-forwarder.624815/#post-10049919

2. Run ModMii to create a small program (.dol) for the forwarding function to forward to your particular homwebrew /emulator app. Load ModMii and follow these menu options - A, F, 1, 1B, [enter path to your homebrew], A, M, [name your dol file], then go to downloads option "D". Save the .dol file - it will be required shortly. - (Sidenote - option 1B for v12 works - option 1 for v14 did not work for me).

3. Run CustomizeMiii, and under source WAD, load in your base WAD.

4. Go to the option tab, and under "new dol", select the .dol you created with ModMii.

5. Go to options tab and update the title ID (unique identifier) e.g. for WiiSx emulator I entered "WPSX" just to stay in keeping with https://www.gametdb.com/Wii/WPSX. (Don't give it a title ID that conflicts with one of your existing channels).

6. Under the options tab, change the start-up to the cIOS where your Fakemote was installed (e.g. I installed mine to slot 247).

7. Go to the title tab and give your channel forwarder a name.

8. This next step is about the looks! (the channel banner, animation and sound). The design of your BASE WAD will likely not match what your intended target homebrew app is. You can use CustomizeMii to give it the desired look. One easy way is to locate a WAD you like the look of, let's call it your "cosmetic" WAD. Go to the source tab, in customizeMii. Under the drop-down options for "banner", "icon" and "sound" path, navigate to your cosmetic WAD for each of these.

9. Hit the "Create WAD" option and save your new WAD - copy it to your wii, e.g via sd card.

10. Install your new WAD to the Wii system using your favourite WAD manager.

11. Launch your new channel via the system menu.

Wiiflow - my preferred option for usage

You can also launch your newly created forwarder channel under Wiiflow.
The channel can be found along with your other channels under the "Real Nand" section.
  • Under the settings for your forwarder channel, ensure that the cIOS is set to where your FM cIOS is installed (e.g 247 in my case).
  • I experience better compatibility if I also set the wiiflow start-up cIOS to my FM cIOS, under the general wiiflow settings.
  • Interesting sidenote - if you use wiiflow in this way, to launch your custom forwarder channel then you don't actually need to change the original WAD's start-up IOS to that of your FM cIOS slot. It seem the loader, wiiflow, overrides the IOS in which the channel is booted.
  • If wiiflow allowed us to set a cIOS startup for homebrew plugins, as it does for wii software and channels, then the above steps may not be necessary.
While there are some occasional glitches of the controller not connecting at start (or sometimes disconnecting if left idle, I have experienced generally positive results.

Wiistation should be natively compatible with Dual Shock controllers if that was your main goal by getting fakemote.

templar701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiistation should be natively compatible with Dual Shock controllers if that was your main goal by getting fakemote.

WiiSX was my goal.
With limited testing, I personally found the performance of WiiSX (latest) superior over Wiistaion, despite it having some cool features. This led me not to delve too deeply into wiistation but on my attempt, the HID with DS4 did not work for me out the box, plus if it does work, I have reason to suspect that it may only support one controller if it is based on nintendont HID of old which supported one USB controller Vs Fakemote which can support up to two USB controllers - that is unless there has been an update.

templar701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

Nzoro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New and noob to this,
before installing fakemote on VWii,
is it safe?
If something goes wrong it is possible to uninstall it.
I would use Priiloader to load the ios 252

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it, how come some Wii games (FIFA 15, COD Modern Warfare, DK country, for example) are unsupported. Does it depend on the game? I mean, if the game supports a classic controller what difference does it make if it's fakemote or a real classic controller?

Reactions: Disorarara

Juanlicos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I installed fakemote on cios 252 base 57 and it works fine on the home menu but when I try to launch a game (for ezmaple Call of Duty Black Ops) the screen gets black and after a few seconds the homebrew channel menu shows in. I am doing something wrong?

blue-spirit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I installed fakemote on cios 252 base 57 and it works fine on the home menu but when I try to launch a game (for ezmaple Call of Duty Black Ops) the screen gets black and after a few seconds the homebrew channel menu shows in. I am doing something wrong?

Have you tried starting the game without the Controller attached?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hamsterball on ps3 you might enjoy