Homebrew COMPLETED [RELEASE] EasyRPG Player - RPG Maker 2k/2k3 "emulator" for Switch

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
As you can read in the bug report thread (https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues/1363) this is a problem with how the Switch handles filenames on the sd card.
Instead of using Unicode they decided to use Shift-JIS which is used in Japan only. Therefore many filenames are invalid because they can't be represented in Shift-JIS.

Maybe libnx is able to work around this partially later or until we add support for loading from ZIP archives. But don't expect this feature soon.
Oh, so that's likely why a lot of Yume Nikki assets don't work correctly.
Using 4.1.0, by the way.

Also: the program sometimes randomly seems to crash whenever I'm doing screenshot captures, and also crashes as soon as I dock my Switch.

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm trying a game with no japanese filenames. It should work normally, shouldn't it`
upload_2018-5-21_0-0-24.png

Reactions: carstene1ns

Admiral124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you can read in the bug report thread (https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues/1363) this is a problem with how the Switch handles filenames on the sd card.
Instead of using Unicode they decided to use Shift-JIS which is used in Japan only. Therefore many filenames are invalid because they can't be represented in Shift-JIS.

Maybe libnx is able to work around this partially later or until we add support for loading from ZIP archives. But don't expect this feature soon.
Damn, I just came here to ask about this problem specifically. Hopefully a workaround can be created.

Dr_Masquerade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just pop the NRO into your SD card and put your game folders in the same directory as the NRO.
Doesn't work. It says there is no game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just pop the NRO into your SD card and put your game folders in the same directory as the NRO.
Look

Attachments

• 2018062816583700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    2018062816583700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 342

carstene1ns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
f4ke.de
XP
Country
Germany
Having an `easyrpgplayer` folder with `easyrpg-player.nro` in it will not even load from hbl. You likely have another `.nro` in your switch folder which is used.
Also, make sure the archive flag is not used on any folder, as it makes them hidden.

Dr_Masquerade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Having an `easyrpgplayer` folder with `easyrpg-player.nro` in it will not even load from hbl. You likely have another `.nro` in your switch folder which is used.
Also, make sure the archive flag is not used on any folder, as it makes them hidden.
It clearly loads EasyRpg Player. Is the folder not the right name? Do I have to have the .nro by itself? How would another .nro conflict with this one? What is an archive flag? If you don't mind can you make a step by step tutorial (I'm more of a picture person) or video? Following words and trying to piece them together isn't going to go anywhere.

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It clearly loads EasyRpg Player. Is the folder not the right name? Do I have to have the .nro by itself? How would another .nro conflict with this one? What is an archive flag? If you don't mind can you make a step by step tutorial (I'm more of a picture person) or video? Following words and trying to piece them together isn't going to go anywhere.
The pics looks fine to me.

The archive flag is reachable via right click -> settings on the folder under Windows.

The folder where you put easyrpgplayer shouldn't matter but afaik the name of the nro and the folder name must match. (rename to easyrpgplayer.nro)

Last edited by Mastak,

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country

maybe have an option to detect SHIFT-JIS and convert to unicode (or backwards) when needed? I know the tool convmv does this on linux and i commonly used to fix filenames from archives that was packed on shift-jis systems (rpgmaker rtp being one).

this could be handled either by libnx file access or by easyrpg afaik.

I've been trying to run a few indie h games :) no luck because so many filenames are japanese.

Last edited by GizmoTheGreen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A type of fish