Homebrew [No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

noahc3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
freeShop simply makes an HTTP request for the content files available on the CDN, which the CDN then responds with the content files. No console unique data is transferred.

This new update makes the 3DS's NIM module (NIM is the module that takes care of downloads from the eShop as well as system updates) send along two different headers, one of which is currently believed to be an encrypted version of the ticket.

freeShop itself does not normally use NIM, unless you choose to start a sleep download, which does use NIM.

The ticket freeShop forges is a spoofed ticket that tricks the 3DS into thinking it is a legitimate ticket (it is not a legitimate ticket). While we can trick the 3DS into accepting this forged ticket, it is not possible to trick Nintendo's servers. This new CDN change will very likely eventually make it required to send the new headers (the main reason I can think of as to why it isn't enabled already are home menu game updates as Nintendo gives about two weeks before you need to update to use online outside the eShop), which freeShop does not and will not send along. This would very likely end up being denied by their CDN as the tickets that freeShop makes are not legitimate.

You can swap out freeShop with any other CDN downloading tool that has been created over the past two years.

You should not end up being banned by using freeShop (or other on device CDN tools) normally, but if you use NIM to download it (sleep download), you will send this invalid ticket, and they could use this to ban you.

Assuming what we think is happening actually is right, if someone were to export a legitimate ticket and somehow hack NIM on another system to send that ticket instead of the one it gets from the system, would it work?

More to the point, when downloading a title from CDN through NIM, does NIM also send console unique information that the ticket also contains, making it possible for Nintendo to cross-check the information between the two to make sure they match?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
if someone were to export a legitimate ticket and somehow hack NIM on another system to send that ticket instead of the one it gets from the system, would it work

A legitimate signed ticket is uniquely generated for that 3DS on Nintendo's servers before a download is initiated through NIM (freeShop provides the ticket in this case when doing a sleep mode download instead). I'd assume they'd be able to determine if a ticket does not originate from that 3DS or if it would be repeatedly used.

You can read more about the actual changes on the 3dbrew wiki: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/11.8.0-41#nim .

Reactions: Lacius

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
freeShop simply makes an HTTP request for the content files available on the CDN, which the CDN then responds with the content files. No console unique data is transferred.

This new update makes the 3DS's NIM module (NIM is the module that takes care of downloads from the eShop as well as system updates) send along two different headers, one of which is currently believed to be an encrypted version of the ticket.

freeShop itself does not normally use NIM, unless you choose to start a sleep download, which does use NIM.

The ticket freeShop forges is a spoofed ticket that tricks the 3DS into thinking it is a legitimate ticket (it is not a legitimate ticket). While we can trick the 3DS into accepting this forged ticket, it is not possible to trick Nintendo's servers. This new CDN change will very likely eventually make it required to send the new headers (the main reason I can think of as to why it isn't enabled already are home menu game updates as Nintendo gives about two weeks before you need to update to use online outside the eShop), which freeShop does not and will not send along. This would very likely end up being denied by their CDN as the tickets that freeShop makes are not legitimate.

You can swap out freeShop with any other CDN downloading tool that has been created over the past two years.

You should not end up being banned by using freeShop (or other on device CDN tools) normally, but if you use NIM to download it (sleep download), you will send this invalid ticket, and they could use this to ban you.

So in a nutshell, downloading "normally" with freeShop is still the same in 11.8 as in previous versions because the modified module is not used?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
So in a nutshell, downloading "normally" with freeShop is still the same in 11.8 as in previous versions because the modified module is not used?
For now, yes. When they start enforcing the headers, which is pretty much guaranteed, freeShop will irrevocably break.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
For now, yes. When they start enforcing the headers, which is pretty much guaranteed, freeShop will irrevocably break.

Which means we are back to the pre-funkycia/funkeycia days where people had to buy eshop games, dump them, and then make them available via "that iso site" or similar. Oh well, best to grab what you can (ideally via Villian3DS or something that gives you a proper, "good" cia) asap. Just don't try to download more than 3 things at once with Villian3ds.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if Nintendo surprises us with anything check wise it'll likely go with WarioWare Gold to officially Release tomorrow in the States to enable the check. Pirates will say this was the Golden Era of Piracy and when teh check goes live will be the Dark ages. , the lazy ones should of experienced how things were on the PC side of gaming in the early days when it was just all BBS's :D

Pretty much use this while we can/ Villan3DS. grab updates you have pending for games you have/ Themes DLC etc. then its back to torrents, *That* iso site and underground /"Dark" Discord Servers.

Flashpass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
freeshop closed down when I was downloading my game and when I reentered freeshop it's says 1 sleep download pending. When I check the download tab it shows nothing, when I go to home screen It's not there. This issue takes up my space even though its not here.

EDIT: I wasn't using sleep mode to download game

Last edited by Flashpass,

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
freeshop closed down when I was downloading my game and when I reentered freeshop it's says 1 sleep download pending. When I check the download tab it shows nothing, when I go to home screen It's not there. This issue takes up my space even though its not here.

dont use sleep download anymore - it wont work afaik

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Minor update from almost two days ago on my end for this entire shabang: Ticket verification is now enforced (this is different than checking if the headers exist, which isn't done yet). While this doesn't break freeShop itself yet, this does break sleep downloads. Doing so will just result in an error code, and although no bans have been reported yet, I would advise to stop trying it.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if Nintendo surprises us with anything check wise it'll likely go with WarioWare Gold to officially Release tomorrow in the States to enable the check. Pirates will say this was the Golden Era of Piracy and when teh check goes live will be the Dark ages. , the lazy ones should of experienced how things were on the PC side of gaming in the early days when it was just all BBS's :D

Pretty much use this while we can/ Villan3DS. grab updates you have pending for games you have/ Themes DLC etc. then its back to torrents, *That* iso site and underground /"Dark" Discord Servers.

Not how it works, and its "should have", not "should of"

Reactions: nintenthUsiast2

adrienabadie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

EDIT: I wasn't using sleep mode to download game

Does the game show up in data management?

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Minor update from almost two days ago on my end for this entire shabang: Ticket verification is now enforced (this is different than checking if the headers exist, which isn't done yet). While this doesn't break freeShop itself yet, this does break sleep downloads. Doing so will just result in an error code, and although no bans have been reported yet, I would advise to stop trying it.
Doesn't look like they blocked eShop updates of freeShop games yet... Cause I updated Minecraft like 4 hours ago (forgot to report).

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even realize you could sleep download for ever and now it's not gonna be an option.

I can't wait to see what happens next. I still haven't even updated to 11.8 yet.

adrienabadie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Probably a dumb question but: Are sleep mode downloads still available/safe for firmwares lower than 11.8? Or do they require you to update? That's the only thing I don't quite understand yet.

It didn't, but I managed to fix it by starting up FBI and going into pending titles. There you can find the title ID of the game ( highlighted in green) and delete it.

Oh, I completely forgot FBI had that option. Glad to see you were able to fix it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: