[RELEASE] Cemu - Wii U emulator

Discussion in 'Wii U - Emulation & CEMU' started by Exzap, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Wow, going through the last few pages literally gave me brain damage.

Don't we have mods around here???

2. Thunder Kai

Thunder Kai #TeamRem

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    with Rem
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions works?

3. lucianobugalu
    This message by lucianobugalu has been removed from public view by Costello, Jul 9, 2016, Reason: you are probably a great skilled guy but please don't post that kind of things.
    Jul 8, 2016
  4. Wardoctors

Wardoctors Gamedev1909

Banned
    Nov 18, 2015
    Canada
    so @Exzap important thing i must ask and i get you hate going on here because of the cancer users and i fully get that but here we go

how are you a pouching the emulating ?
    is it trying to make things look pretty on the surface or trying to make things just run?
    i want to know which direction you are taking mainly because of the major regression of performance and games running like bayo 2 and mario kart 8 loosing fps slowly each build.

Cemufan and ElyosOfTheAbyss like this.
  5. bannana2

bannana2 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2008
    United States
    Spring Hill, KS
    Strange, but most people call Americans dumb. Seems like she has a point and your stupid sentence is just that...whatever it may say. I know english and a little bit of japanese.

JanetMerai likes this.
  6. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2014
    It might be possible to answer that if any of it made sense. Emulation is always about improving accuracy by adding features (instead of just skipping emulating them, thus the slowdown) so there's not really any point asking in the first place.

7. Adubbz

Adubbz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2016
    Not necessarily. Though those newly-added features may indeed appear to be improvements at first glance, it's also whether they have been painstakingly been checked to ensure they do indeed produce the exact same results as actual hardware under their countless usage scenarios. Rushed or otherwise naive implementations could lead to significant problems down the line, such as is the case with mipmapping in PCSX2. So I suppose the actual question is "Are you doing what just 'works' and 'looks right', or ensuring everything matches the response of actual hardware?".

Last edited by Adubbz, Jul 8, 2016
  8. Exzap
    OP

Exzap GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    We try to implement everything as accurately and as close to the original Cafe OS/hardware as possible. But since large parts of the the Wii U architecture are layers of abstraction it can become hard to define what 'accurate' means. For example, there are different versions of the OS libraries (based on installed console patch) and they often exhibit different behavior in some functions. As such, there are multiple solutions to how we can implement them and all are equally 'accurate'. Overall, it's a rather complex topic and the initial question cannot be answered without writing a 1000 page post that analyzes every part of the emulator. It's also important to note that the biggest source of inaccuracy in CEMU currently comes from unimplemented features.

We certainly do not rush and if something is implemented inaccurately it's either by accident or because we plan to improve later. Due to the complexity it's sometimes not feasible to implement everything perfectly on the first try. That's why we sometimes go back and rewrite large parts of the emulator, like the shader decompiler (in v1.1.0) or our FS code.

On a side node, both Decaf and CEMU use the same HLE approach for OS library emulation which abstracts some of the direct hardware access away. This doesn't decrease accuracy from the point of software running in the emulator but it can make a difference when trying to do anything 'outside' the CafeOS, e.g. accessing the kernel via exploits. A true low-level Wii U emulator that is 100% accurate down to the lowest level will likely never exist because it's an incomprehensible amount of work (we tried initially, but soon realized it's 100x times more work at almost zero benefit).

You have to realize that looking at just one or two games is not representative of the state of the emulator. We are trying to emulate a platform with hundreds of games. With every change we make, no matter if good or bad, something will break somewhere. Even if we improve one part of the emulator to be 100% perfect it can still trigger a chain reaction that causes games to stop working until we implement some other feature. In short, there is no guarantee that any game will work unless CEMU is 100% complete, even if the very same game worked in all previous releases.

In regards to performance: Emulation of more features decreases speed, obviously. There is still lots of room for performance optimizations in CEMU, but it's currently not a priority.

Last edited by Exzap, Jul 8, 2016
  9. shanzo

shanzo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    First I'd like to say well done on doing such a great job. I am just curious as to whether you have set out a time plan for when you want certain features to be achieved by? Do you decide on an individual feature/function and just work on that for a set amount of time or do you work on one part until your happy with it before moving on to another aspect?

JanetMerai likes this.
  10. JanetMerai

JanetMerai GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Every time I run it in 1.5.3 it crashes upon loading it.

How did you get it to run or what happens on your end?

11. CustomEyeBrows

CustomEyeBrows GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not being snarky, but 2nd paragraph:

"We certainly do not rush.."

12. lucianobugalu

lucianobugalu GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2016
    Brazil
    This bug happens to someone here?
    World 9
    Cosmic cannon Cluster

13. Master-Killua

Master-Killua GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    Peru
    That's a known issue (at least for me). I have that issue in one level. I think it was in the third or fourth world. Was hard to complete, took me a lot of lifes (10 more or less), but then I got a golden item, so I finished the level.
    I don't know if using that gold item will make you beat that level you're playing, but you could try it

14. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2016
    Just change cpu mode to interpreter

15. shanzo

shanzo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    Yeah I know it's not rushed I meant more whether they work on a particular part and only that part for a certain amount of time and then address something else or do they work on many different parts at once. Whatever method they are using is obviously working!

CustomEyeBrows likes this.
  16. lucianobugalu

lucianobugalu GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2016
    Brazil
    Thanks man, worked.

17. aspico

aspico Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2015
    Eritrea
    but that wouldn't work to get 200CC grand prix right?

18. Master-Killua

Master-Killua GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    Peru
    I see a lot of people here and in others websites that have that issue. There's no fix for now. Try with interpreter mode. If that doesn't work, you can use a Wii u with loadiine, complete the temple and then keep playing, or wait until there's a fix

19. ayurai

ayurai Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    Brazil
    200cc is a update, not part of dlc files, just update the game and u'll have your 200cc.

20. Jobenblue

Jobenblue GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    United States
  21. thorbre

thorbre Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2016
    Norway
    I'll give it a crack.. Something along the lines of "You're a pussy of shit", or "You're a shitpussy", or something to that effect. Wow. You're a douche.

marksteele, JanetMerai and ca032769 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted