Homebrew [Release] Bread Box (C64 Emulator)

IvanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what do you mean 'graphics mode'? just tap the key you need on the lower screen.
Yes the keyboard on the lower seems to constantly revert to "C+shift" mode where "C" is the commodore key. So I see just a bunch of graphics characters on the keyboard that's what I meant by "graphics mode". It seems to stay stuck in this mode even if i do "C+shift" again and the display briefly reverts to normal it doesn't stay like that. Hence typing normal characters isn't possible, that's why I asked which is the latest release maybe I'm running a buggy version.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes the keyboard on the lower seems to constantly revert to "C+shift" mode where "C" is the commodore key. So I see just a bunch of graphics characters on the keyboard that's what I meant by "graphics mode". It seems to stay stuck in this mode even if i do "C+shift" again and the display briefly reverts to normal it doesn't stay like that. Hence typing normal characters isn't possible, that's why I asked which is the latest release maybe I'm running a buggy version.
But what you write is and works the same, no matter you are in the C+Shift mode.
The C+Shift mode is only cosmetic, and affects what you see in the screen, but not the way things work.
I mean, in a real C64 at least. If you are in normal mode and write L┌"$",8,1 it is the same as if you were in C+Shift mode and write lO"$",8,1.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

IvanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is very confusing, if you're on a real C64 and the program asked you to type in "E" it would be fine if you type C+Shift+E ?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is very confusing, if you're on a real C64 and the program asked you to type in "E" it would be fine if you type C+Shift+E ?
just type e (press the e key)

C+Shift mode is cosmetic, it changes between normal mode and lower case mode.
In normal mode if you press E, character code whatever01 is sent and put into the screen.
In normal mode if you press SHIFT+E, character code whataver02 is sent and put into the screen.

If you are in normal mode character whatever01 is shown as E.
If you are in lower case mode character whatever01 is shown as e.

If you are in normal mode character whatever02 is shown as .
If you are in lower case mode character whatever02 is shown as E.

The change between normal and lower case mode is performed with C+Shift, but it is only cosmetic, it affects how things are shown in the screen, not what characters are introduced when you press keys in the keyboard.

PS: symbols are only illustrative.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

IvanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I can't seem to do! I can type arrow, squiggle and everything else, but can't type ABCDEFGH etc..

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country

You shouldn't need C= + SHIFT, either one or the other. Is it in this mode from when you first load breadbox, or is it after you type something?

IvanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You shouldn't need C= + SHIFT, either one or the other. Is it in this mode from when you first load breadbox, or is it after you type something?
Soon as I type anything it does this. Verified that the d64 files I'm running work by using Frodo on my Android phone, I think I might have had an old version I try again

ChicagoMel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just use the HBL version. Can T64 files be played or only the PRG ones? How would I go about converting to a PRG?

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I downloaded the C64 package into a BreadBox folder under the 3ds folder on the sd card. Then I installed the cia file using FBI.
I also created a c64 folder at root and inside this folder created another one called games. I put Paradroid.d64 into it.
Now, when I run BreadBox & press start I can browse to the folder & select the game but when I try to run it, the console crashes and restarts.

Any idea what I did wrong ?
Thanks

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Well, I downloaded the C64 package into a BreadBox folder under the 3ds folder on the sd card. Then I installed the cia file using FBI.
I also created a c64 folder at root and inside this folder created another one called games. I put Paradroid.d64 into it.
Now, when I run BreadBox & press start I can browse to the folder & select the game but when I try to run it, the console crashes and restarts.

Any idea what I did wrong ?
Thanks
Did you run dspdump first? You need it for sound to work on the via version. It might be the cause of the crash? https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-dsp-dump.423860/

IvanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got the latest version from your webpage it's working fine now :) Most importantly the sound works for pure SID awesomeness.

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
From what I inderstood you need to run this file from Homebrew launcher. However when I run HBL, it runs and displays The homemnu ropbin is ready and the bottom screen stays grey. I am not sure how to run HBL.

In that case, I don't know how to help, if hbl doesn't load properly, maybe check you have the latest hbl and that it works on your firmware version.

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Darn, same issue after running dspdump. Gonna have to try with another game but I doubt this is the issue since the aopp crashed each time when goig back to the Home menu.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I remember one or two versions had an issue with the rom folder name, can't remember if I fixed it or not.

You have to be sure to not mess with the ini file, if you do, make sure that the paths for 9,10 and 11 are not real.

DrivePath9 = /not/real/folder
DrivePath10 = /not/real/folder
DrivePath11 = /not/real/folder

Last edited by spinal_cord,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof