Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonTogepi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone stop being a pussy and post a new arc...
...what, don't look at me like that.
tongue.gif

Anyways, this should be about as legal as SSBB hacking. Ninty doesn't give two shits about that stuff because thier cold, heartless souls are working on wii fit 3.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pop006 said:
EDIT: YayMii
Check HERE: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=41
Right now you are under a forum section called WII HACKING...1. I believe you haven't checked there yourself. I MADE A THREAD WITH A ROM HACK IN THAT SECTION.
2. I was simply asking if there was a thread there that is really old or something.
3. I know that. I'm not stupid. Check my post count. It's much higher than your 50-something post count. That means I've been here longer.

Anyways:
QUOTE(_eyCaRambA_ @ Dec 7 2009, 06:34 AM) Actually, it is possible to render them in 3DS Max:
idbwuf.jpg
AWESOME!!!
Does this mean that Reggie might have sprites objects and enemy images in it?

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
We won't be adding sprites images (this includes enemies) into the first release of Reggie. It may come afterwards, we're still undecided whether we want to use premade renders (of which it would require many, many, many renders - 500+ for sure) or port and improve some of the existing model viewer code to make the models display nicely.

In either case, functionality comes first, and all sprites will have rollover tooltips with their names.

Malurth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
4) Nintendo owns a patent on the files or filetypes.
  • I was unable to locate ANY Nintendo patents concerning any file format, and certainly none on the archive format. Games and the contents of games are not eligible for patenting (unless the content is a unique technological system, in which case that part could be patented - no such unique software exists on this disk). If you discover an applicable Nintendo patent, post it here.
Does the "Kind Code" count?

http://kotaku.com/5127251/nintendo-patent-...shift-in-design

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...;RS=AN/Nintendo

It's a patent that basically describes the "Luigi Super Guide."

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
regarding .arc distribution legality, I suggested to create their own format (example an xml with all position and value of sprites etc.)
But I didn't have an answer, I think it's still loading/saving real .arc files.

I understand arc files are mainly just sprite position information, like the xml, but packed using their u8 format instead, so uncompressed may be (more?) legal.

Edit : I think I read there will be a website to provide and sort user's levels. it will be better than posting them on gbatemp anyway.

edrabbit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
regarding .arc distribution legality, I suggested to create their own format (example an xml with all position and value of sprites etc.)
But I didn't have an answer, I think it's still loading/saving real .arc files.

I understand arc files are mainly just sprite position information, like the xml, but packed using their u8 format instead, so uncompressed may be (more?) legal.

Edit : I think I read there will be a website to provide and sort user's levels. it will be better than posting them on gbatemp anyway.

*de-lurking* I've actually got a site (using my own custom codebase) up and ready to go as soon as things are rolling and people have files to share. Haven't publicly announced it since it's empty and waiting for the release of Reggie!.

The legality of distributing these files is a slightly grey area, but it sounds like we should be in the clear. Big thanks to TempusC for laying out all the reasons in a single post.
smile.gif

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think Treeki actually wanted to decide where to put the site up himself (he was considering his own server, or some other well known and agreeable website). If you have a codebase he can maybe modify, it wouldn't hurt to PM him the code so he has less work to do. You can of course attempt to plug yourself as well, but he was pretty set on having either full control of the site or a large pre-existing user base to tap.

As for those patent examples, neither of them are even close to a file format. The first is concept, and the second is hardware.

We see no reason at this time to abandon .arcs in favour of XML files. The archives are simpler for everyone at this moment.

No u8 documentation is required. We have no less than 3 different implementations of the u8 parsing code between us, plus the implementations available in u8it, Wii.py, and Wii.cs. We are currently using the Wii.py code since it is being written in python.

WiiFan2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
I think Treeki actually wanted to decide where to put the site up himself (he was considering his own server, or some other well known and agreeable website). If you have a codebase he can maybe modify, it wouldn't hurt to PM him the code so he has less work to do. You can of course attempt to plug yourself as well, but he was pretty set on having either full control of the site or a large pre-existing user base to tap.

As for those patent examples, neither of them are even close to a file format. The first is concept, and the second is hardware.

We see no reason at this time to abandon .arcs in favour of XML files. The archives are simpler for everyone at this moment.

No u8 documentation is required. We have no less than 3 different implementations of the u8 parsing code between us, plus the implementations available in u8it, Wii.py, and Wii.cs. We are currently using the Wii.py code since it is being written in python.

Yeah, send him the database! All you need to do is dial his planet
smile.gif
(I'm a Stargate fan)

Treekie has his own server? Must be nice living overseas than; in the US, some ISPs (Internet Service Provider) don't allow people to operate their own servers, so your lucky
smile.gif

This would help Reggie! get released even faster, because with the provided database, he would not have to code/make one from scratch.

But, before sending it, ZIP it; that way it would be smaller in size, thus faster downloading
smile.gif

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi Treeki,
You could tell when to launch this editor?
congratulations, I really appreciate your work ... i like the editor of the new super mario for the DS, very funny!

Maniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiFan2012 said:
Treekie has his own server? Must be nice living overseas than; in the US, some ISPs (Internet Service Provider) don't allow people to operate their own servers, so your lucky
smile.gif
You can buy your own host/server/VPS... don't physically need to have a server in your house to use one.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
WiiFan2012 said:
smile.gif
Well, if you count that, I technically have two
tongue.gif
I have a VPS where my site and all my stuff is hosted, and I have a local web server running on my computer which I only use for dumping the occasional file (It's not up 24/7 and has a very slow upload speed)

I already have plans for where I'm going to release Reggie!. Not revealing anything yet though.
wink.gif

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
kyoko_sayuri said:
Treeki,
You are releasing a version of pre-release Reggie for some people? I saw a video on youtube where they used their editor.
see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEqJDMpkR2E
There "beta-testers"?
Oh... thanks to Reggie editor, love it!
sorry bad eng ;(
I already have a team of testers. I'm not looking for any more.

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry, I do not know if this question has been raised here but will be able to edit the levels of Boss? It will be possible to add a boss at any level? That would be really cool!

n64billy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if it's possible to change the Title screen at all..?
[Woo! Finally decided to register here after leeching for so long!]

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Has anyone found a ripper tool to extracts textures?
The textures are in the ARC files or ARC files contains only the coordinates for the textures?
Their release to the stages (01-01.arc, etc.) contains only the coordinates...
Weel, for now I'm doing my tests using hex editor, I found were the hex values of some items in the archives relating to the ARC stages, but I could not even find the file that contains the global hex value item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol