Hacking Reggie! - NSMBWii Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pzyro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe you could make something like this to accompany reggie!. Although this just modifies savedata (which is probably due to all that legal crap on wiibrew)
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Conanac/DiiLC
quote from page:
QUOTE said:
DiiLC is a simple application to download and insert the DLC (downloadable content) or HDLC (hacked downloadable content) into Animal Crossing City Folk savegame file (use Waninkoko's savegame extractor for extracting savegame file). This application searches the DLC and HDLC files from the distributing servers. It could download and insert three DLCs (for US, EU, and JP regions) and one HDLC that are available at the time when the application is running.

If you could make something like that that patches directly into a wbfs drive (and backs up level data), that could be a good way of applying or removing level hacks.

plus, maybe you could make a loader that would patch the game before booting it- i.e. shows hack names, select one, patches regular level data, patches hacked level data, boots game.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
We already have a method, and we have firmly begun to believe that nobody on here actually knows anything about the feasibility of methods to load in the levels.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
I would hope said method will function as well or better than the "texture hack method" used in the SSBB (Smash Bros) hacker scene atm (and yes its actually became its own scene! thanks to the tools available to allow us end users to contribute replay value! http://nintendobros.com/ see!) I have high hopes for this and wait with baited breath (reminds me of when i made my mario 64 hacks with Toad Tool Editor that was a really good time and alot of fun thanks for all the info you provide and comments it keeps things lively whilst we wait for this pimp tool to drop!

KUDOS AND THANK YOU!!!

Yoshi Party

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you say it
grog.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/FeYoshiParty

WiiFan2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! But it WILL be a little bit harder than Lunar Magic because New Super Mario Bros Wii has so many more doodads that can be used to make a level. But, it will be the "same" level of easiest in terms of placing objects.

That is the way it look from the screen shot..

Can't wait to hack new levels!

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Thought I'd update you guys since I haven't posted here in a while.

The rewrite is coming along quite well and is working great so far. I've completely changed around how the interface works (as you can see in the screenshot Tempus posted) - now it's extremely smooth and makes editing levels a lot easier. You can select/move/resize objects with the left mouse button, and paint with the right mouse button, similar to how Lunar Magic does it.

Sprite properties (Koopa colours, signs and so on) are all editable using simple options now - editing the raw hex data is still available, but we're working on figuring out how every sprite works and all the available settings. (This is also part of the reason why Reggie is taking so long.)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Treeki said:

The rewrite is coming along quite well and is working great so far. I've completely changed around how the interface works (as you can see in the screenshot Tempus posted) - now it's extremely smooth and makes editing levels a lot easier. You can select/move/resize objects with the left mouse button, and paint with the right mouse button, similar to how Lunar Magic does it.

Sprite properties (Koopa colours, signs and so on) are all editable using simple options now - editing the raw hex data is still available, but we're working on figuring out how every sprite works and all the available settings. (This is also part of the reason why Reggie is taking so long.)

No sweat man, take your time!
Your work is much appreciated!

WiiFan2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update also! I thought he had just re-arranged the interface there. But good to know that it is going along smooth and well..

Also, Treekie, it may just be my browser, but there is something wrong with your "flag" below your "member number." My browser just shows "Ima" (for Image) and thats it.
biggrin.gif

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Aww, I'm out of pages to read. Yay for a new screenshot, though. Also, the comparison to the old SC editor is pleasing but stressful at the same time. It was very easy to use, for sure, but also very tedious at times. Still, it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
WiiFan2012 said:
Thanks for the update also! I thought he had just re-arranged the interface there. But good to know that it is going along smooth and well..

Also, Treekie, it may just be my browser, but there is something wrong with your "flag" below your "member number." My browser just shows "Ima" (for Image) and thats it.
biggrin.gif

GBATemp doesn't have a flag image for my country, despite it being in the list - so it doesn't load properly.

QUOTE(TobiasAmaranth @ Dec 4 2009, 06:11 PM) Aww, I'm out of pages to read. Yay for a new screenshot, though. Also, the comparison to the old SC editor is pleasing but stressful at the same time. It was very easy to use, for sure, but also very tedious at times. Still, it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.
SC? >_> If you're referring to my comparison with Lunar Magic, it's for hacking SMW.

Here's how the new interface works basically: You can left click on an object to select it. You can then move it or drag a small grabber at the bottom right to resize it. You can also click on an empty space in the level and drag in order to select multiple objects.

On the right (The Palette window) you can pick an object or sprite to place. Once you've picked one, you can right click and drag to paint objects. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's a very nice interface once you get the hang of it.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
At some point, a comparison to the Starcraft map editor was made.
tongue.gif

Still, sounds like it'll be pretty intuitive. Is tileset mixing possible or is it locked to 'one type'? Like, can you mix ghosthouse and grasslands tiles by default? Just wondering what the upper-reaches of the limitations actually are. (Someone mentioned "Yoshi in a Castle" or even a boss fight as an example.

Speaking of sprite variables, perhaps stuff like "Result if Yoshi consumes" is one. Hmm.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Treeki said:

Hurry up and take your time please!!!!!

(Even without sprite data, don't you think this great loving community should have a beta soon??? (Wink Wink))

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
TobiasAmaranth said:
Still, sounds like it'll be pretty intuitive. Is tileset mixing possible or is it locked to 'one type'? Like, can you mix ghosthouse and grasslands tiles by default? Just wondering what the upper-reaches of the limitations actually are. (Someone mentioned "Yoshi in a Castle" or even a boss fight as an example.
You can load up to 4 tilesets in a level - it doesn't matter which, they will all work together. (Most normal levels use two or three - the "generic" tileset which contains items used in most levels like pipes/blocks/bricks, the area-specific tileset, and sometimes a cave background.)

I haven't tested it out, but Yoshi should work in every level with a Yoshi block. (It's in the generic tileset, so any level can have him.)

TobiasAmaranth said:
Speaking of sprite variables, perhaps stuff like "Result if Yoshi consumes" is one. Hmm.
No, sprite properties don't work like that. They're basically "settings" which you can set on various sprite types - for example, Munchers can be set to frozen and non-frozen. The rolling hills can have their size, speed, direction, and a few other things all adjusted.

jceggbert5 said:
Hurry up and take your time please!!!!!
So you want to rush me -AND- you want me to take my time?

QUOTE(jceggbert5 @ Dec 4 2009, 06:42 PM)
(Even without sprite data, don't you think this great loving community should have a beta soon??? (Wink Wink))
No, I'm a perfectionist and I don't want to release an incomplete/unpolished app.

BulletBillTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, Reggie! team, time for a progress inspection.

-How many of the sprites have you documented (AND their sprite data), and how much is there left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Man, the new art of Callie from Splatoon's Twitter account looks so amazing and cute