Real confused on disc drives

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by loco365, Jun 25, 2011.

Jun 25, 2011

Real confused on disc drives by loco365 at 3:57 AM (3,287 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. loco365
    OP

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

So, I am wondering on my drive, so I checked the Wii Drive Chip database. I don't know on the specifications of drives, but I was told that I cannot use burned discs. When I checked the site, I read that if it is X drive, I cannot use any disc on it, even through emulators. But, I can read (Retail and burned) DVDs using WiiMC. Can I figure out, for once and for all, if my Wii can read burned DVDs for ISOs?

Here is the info I got from the Wii Chip database:
    From http://www.wiidrives.com/identify?serial=LU658147454#

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    (theory != reality) => experimentation
    just try it

3. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    With those kind of drives, you're able to play back-up discs, so you should be good to go. Especially considering that the Wii was released a short time before your drives copyright year. Just make sure you have all the necessary things in place before trying to load back-ups through a back-up loader.

Posts merged

With those kind of drives, you're able to play back-up discs, so you should be good to go. Especially considering that the Wii was released a short time before your drives copyright year. Just make sure you have all the necessary things in place before trying to load back-ups through a back-up loader.

4. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    It took me about 4-5 days of staying up through the night, trying to figure out how to get all the files and components in place on my wii and sd card, before I finally got things ready to go, after receiving some help with IOS installation

Before that, I became certain that my Wii's drive was too new and couldn't play back-up discs, NeoGamma even gave me a message when I tried loading up a back-up disc, saying that my drive was too new for DVD -Rs. I halted the installation process at that point, but something told me that the error I was getting was inaccurate. My Wii was purchased about a year after it's launch, so I figured that there was no way my drive was too new for back-ups discs to work. So I did the wiidrive thing, got the same message as you, learned that these drives were ok for back-up discs and came on here to ask about the IOS installation process. Turned out that I was missing a couple of more IOS files, so I found them, installed them, and then.... alakazam my discs were loading finally.

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If your drive can read ANYTHING from ANY DVD-R, DVD+R or retail video dvd, then it will load backups from discs as well. Get the latest NeoGamma beta, remove any disc and select launch disc. If the drive was not backup compatible, it would say so after the error.

6. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    Actually, that's what it says for me when I load without a disc. But when I use a disc, it loads just fine. I guess it's a slight miscue of the program.

7. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    What does it say exactly? Are you sure you don't have a modchip? Did you use an external dvd drive by chance for WiiMC?

8. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    I'm positive there's no mod chip, and use the factory disc drive.

It says. "Drive too new for DVD -Rs... sorry :{" or something like that.

9. loco365
    OP

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

If you're asking about my Wii, no. I don't have a modchip, I only softmodded it and I don't have an external drive.

10. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    And I know what I'm talking about. If I had an external drive, I wouldn't be speaking on it as if I were talking about the wii's regular drive.

11. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    try a different loader

12. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    oops, double post

13. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    what does that have to do with anything being mentioned? just curious