Hacking Real confused on disc drives

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
So, I am wondering on my drive, so I checked the Wii Drive Chip database. I don't know on the specifications of drives, but I was told that I cannot use burned discs. When I checked the site, I read that if it is X drive, I cannot use any disc on it, even through emulators. But, I can read (Retail and burned) DVDs using WiiMC. Can I figure out, for once and for all, if my Wii can read burned DVDs for ISOs?

Here is the info I got from the Wii Chip database:
QUOTE said:
Serial number: LU65814745
The Wii has a RVL-001(USA) model number and is produced for Mexico/Canada/USA. The copyright year is 2006.

DVD drive and chipset features
Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
There is a 100% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip.

? More detailed computational data...
Compatible Wii modchips/kits:
DriveKey - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3
FlatMod - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3
FlatMii - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3, D3-2
Wasabi DX - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3
WODE Jukebox - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3, D3-2
SunDriver - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3, D3-2
Wiikey Fusion - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, D3, D3-2, D4
From http://www.wiidrives.com/identify?serial=LU658147454#

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Team Fail said:
So, I am wondering on my drive, so I checked the Wii Drive Chip database. I don't know on the specifications of drives, but I was told that I cannot use burned discs. But, I can read (Retail and burned) DVDs using WiiMC. Can I figure out, for once and for all, if my Wii can read burned DVDs for ISOs?
(theory != reality) => experimentation
just try it

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With those kind of drives, you're able to play back-up discs, so you should be good to go. Especially considering that the Wii was released a short time before your drives copyright year. Just make sure you have all the necessary things in place before trying to load back-ups through a back-up loader.

Posts merged

With those kind of drives, you're able to play back-up discs, so you should be good to go. Especially considering that the Wii was released a short time before your drives copyright year. Just make sure you have all the necessary things in place before trying to load back-ups through a back-up loader.

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took me about 4-5 days of staying up through the night, trying to figure out how to get all the files and components in place on my wii and sd card, before I finally got things ready to go, after receiving some help with IOS installation

Before that, I became certain that my Wii's drive was too new and couldn't play back-up discs, NeoGamma even gave me a message when I tried loading up a back-up disc, saying that my drive was too new for DVD -Rs. I halted the installation process at that point, but something told me that the error I was getting was inaccurate. My Wii was purchased about a year after it's launch, so I figured that there was no way my drive was too new for back-ups discs to work. So I did the wiidrive thing, got the same message as you, learned that these drives were ok for back-up discs and came on here to ask about the IOS installation process. Turned out that I was missing a couple of more IOS files, so I found them, installed them, and then.... alakazam my discs were loading finally.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If your drive can read ANYTHING from ANY DVD-R, DVD+R or retail video dvd, then it will load backups from discs as well. Get the latest NeoGamma beta, remove any disc and select launch disc. If the drive was not backup compatible, it would say so after the error.

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Get the latest NeoGamma beta, remove any disc and select launch disc. If the drive was not backup compatible, it would say so after the error.

Actually, that's what it says for me when I load without a disc. But when I use a disc, it loads just fine. I guess it's a slight miscue of the program.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What does it say exactly? Are you sure you don't have a modchip? Did you use an external dvd drive by chance for WiiMC?

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm positive there's no mod chip, and use the factory disc drive.

It says. "Drive too new for DVD -Rs... sorry :{" or something like that.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
ganon45 said:

Posts merged

Ok. I guess that seems fair. I must be lucky- I bought the Wii in December of '09.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jun 25 2011, 04:52 AM) What does it say exactly? Are you sure you don't have a modchip? Did you use an external dvd drive by chance for WiiMC?
If you're asking about my Wii, no. I don't have a modchip, I only softmodded it and I don't have an external drive.

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
What does it say exactly? Are you sure you don't have a modchip? Did you use an external dvd drive by chance for WiiMC?

And I know what I'm talking about. If I had an external drive, I wouldn't be speaking on it as if I were talking about the wii's regular drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: