Razer announces cloud gaming handheld device called the Razer Edge, starts at $400

razererrerer.png

Another Android-based cloud gaming handheld has entered the fray. Following the reveal of Logitech's G Cloud Handheld, Razer has given more details on its previously teased portable device, now called the Razer Edge. It offers a 6.8 inch 144Hz 2400x1080 AMOLED display, with a 3Ghx Snapdragon G3x CPU, and looks like a tablet that is docked into the Razer Kishi Pro V2 controller. Razer is marketing the Edge as a primarily cloud-based gaming handheld, and while it'll initially launch with only a WiFi version, a 5G version will be available, with further details to come at a later date. The WiFi version of the Edge will retail for $399.99, and will launch in early 2023.

:arrow: Source

Dontuuch17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks nice but I'd go with a steam deck. Much more programs work with it and fiddling I can do.

Besides, I don't mess with Verizon.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would someone buy this over a Switch or a Steam Deck? Steam Deck can do both, and is pretty much the same price.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So, they basically made a phone and took out some features and slapped their controller addon to it and called it a gaming console?
Yes and no.
It's the first platform to implement their new Snapdragon 3X SOC, a powerful new all-singing all-dancing piece of tech, with a powerful CPU, GPU, 5G connectivity, ports galore, inputs/outputs galore, basically all-in-one solution for portable gaming, just add controller. It's supposed to showcase the new chipset.

The developer kit for this handheld was released last year and it looked like a standard handheld. Hands-on reviews were impressed by the graphics capabilities and performance. The "cloud gaming" aspect was mentioned in passing (duh, it's an Android device, of course it supports cloud gaming / streaming, and even on the go where 5G network is available) but it is a powerhouse in its own right.

1665989159465.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/razer-snapdragon-g3x-hands-on
"I wish more handhelds felt like the G3x" https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/snapdragon-g3x-hands-on-impressions/
https://techcrunch.com/2021/12/01/snapdragon-g3x-gaming/
https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/01/qualcomm_mobile_gaming_windows_11_chips/

I guess Razer figured a phone + controller would sell better than a dedicated gaming handheld so the final version will come in parts.

Why they want to push the "cloud gaming" thing, I don't know.

Last edited by Veho,
Reactions: Kioku

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if this could be modded to do something other than cloud gaming...

It runs Android, so it can do anything you’d do with any other Android device. They’re just pushing the cloud gaming aspect because, I don’t know, it’s the latest thing for hardware manufacturers to push, rather than going full-on Windows/Linux handhelds with higher specs to run typical PC games.

Nothing wrong with that, cloud gaming is almost certainly a better option than building a gaming rig for a lot of people. Myself included I suppose, I gave up building dedicated gaming rigs years ago because it was getting ridiculous to keep it at the bleeding edge - I know, you don’t have to keep it at the bleeding edge, but when you’re getting rid of an addiction, it’s best to go cold turkey :D

TheSpearGuy

can probably play it on Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know what that hate is all about.
This is much more powerful and actually competitively priced than the AYN Odin or Retroid Pocket 3

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I honestly don't know what that hate is all about.
This is much more powerful and actually competitively priced than the AYN Odin or Retroid Pocket 3
Isn't Retroid Pocket 3 $120? The AYN Odin is a good comparison, the Pro version is around $300, this is $400 but is more powerful.

And I think you will be able to boot Windows 11 ARM edition on this (speculation based solely on the fact this is a next gen Snapdragon).

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is anyone making these products? Nobody wanted it.
Post automatically merged:

It runs Android, so it can do anything you’d do with any other Android device. They’re just pushing the cloud gaming aspect because, I don’t know, it’s the latest thing for hardware manufacturers to push, rather than going full-on Windows/Linux handhelds with higher specs to run typical PC games.

Nothing wrong with that, cloud gaming is almost certainly a better option than building a gaming rig for a lot of people. Myself included I suppose, I gave up building dedicated gaming rigs years ago because it was getting ridiculous to keep it at the bleeding edge - I know, you don’t have to keep it at the bleeding edge, but when you’re getting rid of an addiction, it’s best to go cold turkey :D
Just buy a damn console instead of either then. Heck get a steamdeck.
Post automatically merged:

Howany of these failures are they gonna pump out?
I wonder if Microsoft or anyone else is paying for companies to push cloud gaming? If so, waste of money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...