Razer announces cloud gaming handheld device called the Razer Edge, starts at $400

razererrerer.png

Another Android-based cloud gaming handheld has entered the fray. Following the reveal of Logitech's G Cloud Handheld, Razer has given more details on its previously teased portable device, now called the Razer Edge. It offers a 6.8 inch 144Hz 2400x1080 AMOLED display, with a 3Ghx Snapdragon G3x CPU, and looks like a tablet that is docked into the Razer Kishi Pro V2 controller. Razer is marketing the Edge as a primarily cloud-based gaming handheld, and while it'll initially launch with only a WiFi version, a 5G version will be available, with further details to come at a later date. The WiFi version of the Edge will retail for $399.99, and will launch in early 2023.

:arrow: Source

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to go against the grain here and mention a few things I like about this.

I've always like having an android tablet around for casual surfing. I appreciate having enough power for emulation and android is actually a decent platform for emulation, and believe it or not there are a few high quality games that run natively on android and were designed for small screens in mind. I like small tablets that have good SOC and theres not alot of choice out there since the days of the Nexus 7 and the Huawei MediaPad M5 I'm using now is no longer well supported.

Here we have a high res and fast amoled screen, a state of the art actively cooled SOC. The cost of a tablet with specs like this is worth much more than $400, and they throw in the controller to boot. The controller being removable is key, this stand first as well priced high end tablet. It is actually very capable much more than the Logitech handheld. I have no idea why they are promoting awful cloud gaming as if that's a selling point.

Anyways I agree with the sentiment of Razer quality control and that may keep me away from this. I'll wait to hear some user impressions on build quality but otherwise I'm very interested.

I normally wouldn't feel the need to make such a long post promoting something, but the echo chamber in this thread was deafening.

ViTaLC0D3R

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tylermediagroup.xyz
XP
Country
United States

Another Android-based cloud gaming handheld has entered the fray. Following the reveal of Logitech's G Cloud Handheld, Razer has given more details on its previously teased portable device, now called the Razer Edge. It offers a 6.8 inch 144Hz 2400x1080 AMOLED display, with a 3Ghx Snapdragon G3x CPU, and looks like a tablet that is docked into the Razer Kishi Pro V2 controller. Razer is marketing the Edge as a primarily cloud-based gaming handheld, and while it'll initially launch with only a WiFi version, a 5G version will be available, with further details to come at a later date. The WiFi version of the Edge will retail for $399.99, and will launch in early 2023.

$400 dollar cloud device why?

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States

cheap to produce. overpriced. rushed. and does not deserve to be a handheld.

Why would you make your handheld device require a stable high-bandwidth internet connection at all times to use for it's intended purpose? It's a fucking handheld.

Just buy a Steam Deck or an AYANEO.

The gamepad is detachable, looks like. It's a phone/tablet with a gamepad bundled in. The "cLOud GAMiNg HANDhElD" spiel is just marketing.
When will companies like this realize that cloud gaming and mobile gaming are the two most hated things by their target market? Are they trying to get clowned on? This is embarassing.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$400 dollar cloud device why?
Because it has the same processing power as the last SoC generation (SD888) with active cooling which makes it great for android and retro gaming (via emulation). I don't know why people continue to ignore the possibilities a device like this can provide.

It's cheaper than a Samsung S6 or S7 with the same or more power. For those saying it can just get an iPad: Have fun jumping through multiple hoops to get even one emulator on an i/PadOS device.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for all the people saying that they want to get this for Emulation and Android games. Welp u won't be playing PS2 or Wii/GameCube games on it or Fortnite. Just get a Steam Deck.

You know the Edge runs the equivalent of a SD888 with active cooling. The G Cloud is far weaker and of course can't emulate above maybeN64 and Dreamcast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all