Razer announces cloud gaming handheld device called the Razer Edge, starts at $400

razererrerer.png

Another Android-based cloud gaming handheld has entered the fray. Following the reveal of Logitech's G Cloud Handheld, Razer has given more details on its previously teased portable device, now called the Razer Edge. It offers a 6.8 inch 144Hz 2400x1080 AMOLED display, with a 3Ghx Snapdragon G3x CPU, and looks like a tablet that is docked into the Razer Kishi Pro V2 controller. Razer is marketing the Edge as a primarily cloud-based gaming handheld, and while it'll initially launch with only a WiFi version, a 5G version will be available, with further details to come at a later date. The WiFi version of the Edge will retail for $399.99, and will launch in early 2023.

:arrow: Source

EagleRuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Another Android-based cloud gaming handheld has entered the fray. Following the reveal of Logitech's G Cloud Handheld, Razer has given more details on its previously teased portable device, now called the Razer Edge. It offers a 6.8 inch 144Hz 2400x1080 AMOLED display, with a 3Ghx Snapdragon G3x CPU, and looks like a tablet that is docked into the Razer Kishi Pro V2 controller. Razer is marketing the Edge as a primarily cloud-based gaming handheld, and while it'll initially launch with only a WiFi version, a 5G version will be available, with further details to come at a later date. The WiFi version of the Edge will retail for $399.99, and will launch in early 2023.

:arrow: Source
This seems an awesome device for a person who only wants to pay for streaming only which the servers can be shut down at any given moment notice and having a brick on a shelf.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That thing is a damn powerhouse. On paper, it competes with the D#ck.
8GB RAM and 128GB storage and a 3Ghz CPU can run whatever.

Sure, if it ran windows, it wouldn't be a "Cloud gaming device", as Android doesn't really have games that are so demanding.

The only redeeming factor is it it can run Linux. Then this machine would make sense. As it is, it's a weird marketing strategy.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
> Cloud Gaming Device
> 144 HZ Display

No comment.

On a related note.. Why are we pushing "cloud gaming" devices now? It's really weird to advertise this with the impression that it's only good for one thing. Which can't be right. It's an android device, which means you should be able to play games directly on the device. It having cloud gaming apps should be a secondary selling point.
Cloud gaming is financially gold for companies. It just sucks for gamers, they will try to push until oblivium.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? Who's going to buy this?

I'd be more likely to purchase a Deck than any of these handheld devices that keep getting released.
Post automatically merged:

Seem like they are reusing the name lol, man they are lazy

Microsoft had one very similar in 2015.

135473-tablets-news-best-windows-10-tablet-for-playing-xbox-one-the-linx-vision-is-a-bargain-at-149-image1-obas8tsv7e-jpg.webp

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tablets...-xbox-one-the-linx-vision-is-a-bargain-at-149

Windows 10 tablets were a very bad idea because they only had 32GB and updates ate that up fast. 64GB and 128GB were a bit better.

Last edited by Marc_LFD,
Reactions: Bauti
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
FFS, I'm tired that whenever there's something famous/a fad, then like 10.000 others pop out.
Just speaking of games, ever since Vampire Survivors got famous, there you got like 10 other copycats every other day.
Just, can't people fucking try to come out with different things than basically make a sprite swap or something, ugh?

Reactions: Marc_LFD

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
FFS, I'm tired that whenever there's something famous/a fad, then like 10.000 others pop out.
Just speaking of games, ever since Vampire Survivors got famous, there you got like 10 other copycats every other day.
Just, can't people fucking try to come out with different things than basically make a sprite swap or something, ugh?
Why? If it sell, they'll keep coming... people aren't clever enough to vote with the wallet.

Reactions: DoctorBagPhD

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing is a damn powerhouse. On paper, it competes with the D#ck.
8GB RAM and 128GB storage and a 3Ghz CPU can run whatever.

Sure, if it ran windows, it wouldn't be a "Cloud gaming device", as Android doesn't really have games that are so demanding.

The only redeeming factor is it it can run Linux. Then this machine would make sense. As it is, it's a weird marketing strategy.

I'm interested on how it would perform with Switch emulation.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> Cloud Gaming Device
> 144 HZ Display

No comment.

On a related note.. Why are we pushing "cloud gaming" devices now? It's really weird to advertise this with the impression that it's only good for one thing. Which can't be right. It's an android device, which means you should be able to play games directly on the device. It having cloud gaming apps should be a secondary selling point.

Almost the entire tech industry is moving towards the cloud.

Machine / deep learning? Buy a service from a cloud provider for computing power. Need file storage? Buy a service from a cloud provider. Working from home with a crappy laptop but need to work on a project? Cloud service.

It's "cheaper" and more "convenient" to rent rather than own for most people.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Almost the entire tech industry is moving towards the cloud.

Machine / deep learning? Buy a service from a cloud provider for computing power. Need file storage? Buy a service from a cloud provider. Working from home with a crappy laptop but need to work on a project? Cloud service.

What you just described is not what I take issue with. I've accepted that cloud is the way forward for productivity and SOME leisure and media. Gaming? No. We're still a decade out, at least.

Reactions: Bauti

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yep, for some people the internet goes off now and again. For those that own physical media or have a software backup, this is not an issue. However for people that buy a game and stream it and then the service ends or the provider stops the game from being available on their server due to licensing or not being woke enough....you're kind of screwed. The best thing that could happen to all these game streaming services is that they go bankrupt and people can own copies of the games they paid for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think