Hacking Ray's Mario Kart 8 Course Modding Tutorials

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DLC courses seem to crash when trying to load them in battle mode even with the (as far as we know) correct modifications to the byaml.

Very late response, sorry.
I think it does not even look up Obj data in the DLC folders, just the main one. But even when copying them there crashed it.

Wait to Change the setting (Make it day time and light time etc) then...

I replace the BGENV

and what do I edit in the Byaml (sorry I'm still confused)
Well if you wanna do it textually, there's a tutorial just for that in the spoilers BYAML > Editing BYAML files as XML > Walkthrough

darkmvr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Currently struggling with crashes as some object files are allowed and other object items make the course crash. I can add a donut and a giant cannon but a ship crashes the game, so alot of trial and error. Seems using dlc (DL_?) course items make the course instant crash (master sword on first course). Also when a byaml is corrupted there doesnt seem any way to undo this. I deleted rescent objects i added but the course keeps crashing anyway.

To bad there is no preview window for the object list, its a large list where most of the object names make no sense at all, so your forced to try everything out wich is realy time consuming.

Sometimes when i try to export my byaml it gets errors (sorry dond have screenshot) and it wont export. restarting or editing anything doesnt seem to work, your screwed. Only thing to fix this is to load a older backup byaml you saved and then you can export again.

Other thing i noticed is that when i tried to pile up alot of boxes on eachother there doesnt seem to be any gravity, you just ram against one box but the other boxes just keep floating into the air.

I did try to ad a bus but although the bus doesnt crash my course (on thwomp Ruins), it doesnt appear either. but i didn't expect it to realy work anyway because these cars are probably normaly programmed to ride a fixed route, but i kinda hoped it did ride straigt forwards into the abyss or something lol.

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You cannot use DLC objects on non-DLC tracks and vice versa. The game does not even look into the corresponding folder for them, doesn't find them, and then crashes.

You can undo everything you do. When you add random objects, you need to copy over parameters on how they were originally used, as stated in the documentation.

You should look at where the objects are used, my info dump lists the references. I find most names pretty descriptive, most have the japanese name of the object. A thumbnail list is not possible at this moment because it is too slow.

"Getting errors" is unspecific and I can't help with that. Blender keeps a copy of the originally loaded BYAML in memory as long as it runs or you press F8 (which you shouldn't anyway if you're not a developer). This is because some sections are simply not rewritten from scratch and taken from the original file.

About the other stuff, you have to ask the game developers. You can't expect most objects to work just like that, especially if you don't copy over their original parameters. Buses are indeed following a path which can be set but not edited yet. If there is no path, the object probably appears at (0,0,0), invisibly to you.

Last edited by Ray Koopa,

Ink Larry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I need help with the Effect Area. I tried to put snow on Moo Moo Meadows for a while but it never worked. It doesn't seem that any of the files in Gwii_MooMooMeadows are the reason for it since I edited/replaced the .byaml, .bgenv, .bglpbd, and so on except for the actual model.

Harmonia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need help with the Effect Area. I tried to put snow on Moo Moo Meadows for a while but it never worked. It doesn't seem that any of the files in Gwii_MooMooMeadows are the reason for it since I edited/replaced the .byaml, .bgenv, .bglpbd, and so on except for the actual model.

You mean like, snow falling from the sky? I don't think it's possible to edit something like that yet.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is amazing!! Now we need another thread for customer mario kart 8 tracks to share :D

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much (like the snow effect in Sherbet Land). And thank you anyways.
you can only use effects included with that track (possibly defined in the bgenv?). snow is not one of them in meadows.

Wow this is amazing!! Now we need another thread for customer mario kart 8 tracks to share :D
there's already a thread about showing mods

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, that's just about setting up the addon. Did you read the usage of the add-on? Please tell me which paragraph on what page you don't understand or I can't improve it.

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i didnt work on tools since pretty much my last post here. also looks like other people who wanted to write an exporter did not finish their work yet.

Reactions: NexoCube

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i didnt work on tools since pretty much my last post here. also looks like other people who wanted to write an exporter did not finish their work yet.

Okay, because i really want to make a CTGP mod for Mario Kart 8 and i'm too lazy to develop a .bfres editor :P

And last question, how have you extracted course model to get some .png, .mtl and .obj ?? (on the model website) (btw, i've opened the .obj on c4d and it was so beautiful dude)

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In the work folder are the textures converted to PNG. You have to export the model inside of Blender if you want another model format outta it.

Reactions: NexoCube

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/2VSGYf0.mp4