Hacking Ray's Mario Kart 8 Course Modding Tutorials

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As you might have noticed, the most recent version of my BYAML Blender add-on imports the Obj models, visualizing them like in-game (with some BFRES bugouts like weird textures or misplaced heads, but nothing bad for track editing).

If you have any questions or trouble using it, please ask here so I know how to write an optimized tutorial focussing editing with Blender rather than Notepad.

It requires you to have io_scene_bfres installed so it can load the models. Then you can get nice results like this:
example2.png

Last edited by Ray Koopa,

Kawaii-Tora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks a lot. On Windows this is working. But is there anything like TexConv2.exe for linux? If yes, this would be great, as Blender works on linux too ..

Domineu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you think you will be able to expand the .kcl add-on that the kart is leaving tiremarks on the course (like when driving on sand or snow) or removing them that they just appear when driving (like on asphalt, stone or wood)?

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no need to expand it for that, just use the correct collision flags of roads which leave specific marks.

Domineu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I actually changed the collision flags of the snow part from Mount Wario to the ones used in Mario Kart Stadium. It behaved the same as the asphalt but still left the tiremarks on the road.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this be used to replace the battle mode maps with actual arenas? I never use that mode, but that one change would get me and my buddies playing regularly.

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That requires new models and a KCL export. First one doesn't exist yet and last one is broken, and at the moment I'm too lazy to fix that, working more on the BYAML add-on.
It should be possible to make Baby Park a battle "arena" though.

Domineu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They actually aren't the same. Tiremarks just appear in MKStadium when you drift. In Mt Wario, they appear all the time (but just hard to see).
Or maybe I made a mistake.

EDIT: Oopsy, I made a mistake, sorry for bothering you :(

Last edited by Domineu,

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I added a generic Blender tutorial to give a nice overview on it for beginners.
I also rewamped the BYAML tutorial to focus on my BYAML add-on for Blender, with a lot of new images and documented properties, rather than focussing on textual XML edits (which are just required for the stuff my add-on can't edit yet anymore).

Last edited by Ray Koopa,

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Would probably require a new course model which isn't possible yet. I could try changing Baby Park or Excite Bike into a battle course tho.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm still not into it (time issue) but what you're doing is taking courses out of MK8 and edit him (in short), right?
Wouldn't it be possible then to just replace files in the loadiine ready folders of MK8 so I could create my "alternate MK8" like Wiimm did with MK Wii for years? I mean, why would you need Cafiine then?

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but you cannot create completely new tracks from scratch yet, as the BFRES and KCL export is still not done which makes a new base model possible. You can only place objects which appear on the track, remove or edit them.
That also means you can do some fancy experiments by creating horrible "tracks" only out of objects:

Lap counting still wouldn't work yet as my add-on doesnt support paths at the moment which are required for that. But I'm working on putting those into Blender somehow.

In fact I did a private "alternate" MK8 "version" with a lot of original tracks made harder with this or more crazy and played it in a 300cc stream together with two buddies some months ago (more advanced editing is now possible):

(watch 2:14:44 for the best part)

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah but you cannot create completely new tracks from scratch yet, as the BFRES and KCL export is still not done which makes a new base model possible.
As soon as this is possible I would be in! And a friend of mine too. :)
But even with a complete MK8 consisting of own tracks only it's still not possible to pass the limit of cups and courses, right?
I mean Wiimm MK Wii Fun ended up with editions containing over 100 tracks but at the moment we're stuck to the amount of tracks that MK8 has or am I wrong?

Btw: I already watched that nightmare track from your first video and liked it very much. Reminds me of Max Payne. :D

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You'd need to replace existing tracks with your new track files and share those with others, having them in sync, like it was surely done in MKWii too first.
Getting additional tracks to work requires a lot of analyzing and modifying code and the menu files.

ktroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ray Koopa thank for all your work! I have a super newbie question I would like to ask of you. I just would like to edit my tracks to have 5 laps. Maybe even 6. Is there a simple way to do this without dumping all the game files? I think I was reading where your updated version of Cafiine could allow simple BYAML edits?

Anyways, just wondering if this is possible without all the major dumping and running blender. I would even be extremely pleased if you could possibly send me a few BYAML files with 6 laps on ribbon road/toad harbor/royal raceway, no other changes.

Thank you

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh, Cafiine has nothing to do with BYAML. It just replaces files. Thus, you need the original files. Which you can dump with Cafiine first, then edit, then exchange with Cafiine. For that simple lap edit you just need to convert BYAML to XML and change the LapNumber attribute (s. the XML tutorial section).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Sicklyboy I was reading your post on the lgbtq batman