Hacking RawkSD

Choflux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is that you are not only buying the keys and pro guitar/bass, you are buying a new sound mix with harmonies, and probably some changes on the charts.
And great investigation work there with my post, but you failed at noticing my lack of information on the subject of pirating, of course i have to use alternate methods to get my songs on multiple consoles i own, i wish it was just as easy as getting my officially bought songs on an sd card, pop it on any console and load them, or maybe as easy as... guess what? putting a different game and let Rawk sd "rip" the songs to play them, but yeah i may probably use it for pirating purposes according to you.
You see, its ironic when someone makes a tool like rawksd that can also be used for pirating and then tell people they are wrong for looking at different ways of loading their songs, but yeah im hoping for Rawk to come to RB3 even knowing that it has DLC "anti-piracy" like the current beta for RB2 does, at least it would be worth the hassle and danger of moving my console with all the songs around...

Anyway... im thankfull for rawk sd as it served me for tons of time and fun, but my point still stands regarding the superiority of RB3, which i would had liked to know your and the other devs opinion about tueidj.

jas20

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem with legacy and keys/harmony/pro DLC is fragmentation and "being fair". Apparently finding people with the same DLC as you online is a nightmare. It also is annoying that an early Rock Band/Harmonix fan who buys all the DLC can end up paying more for "the full experience" than a late player who buys only the most up to update content. They could have updated everyone's audio stems and placed keys charts into the pro guitar/bass upgrade, solving fragmentation and fairness. RB2 would probably just consider the keys audio as extract background audio.

It's still piracy even if you own the content on another platform. Nintendo's system isn't the best, and that's why if you're serious about this kind of thing then you need to either change to a platform with the features you want, or physically move the Wii. If you're worried about damaging your Wii then consider just keeping your Rock Band entertaining need in one place and find other ways to entertain yourself/guests in other locations.

Regarding RawkSD's ability to rip games: this is similar to the ideal morals of ripping a CD to your computer. If you no longer own that disc, you must destroy all ripped copies. You must also not exchange copies without exchanging the original and destroying your copies. If purchasable exports for RB1/LEGO ever come available I'd hope people migrate to the officially support method even if it means losing your high scores (though I wouldn't force you if it takes Harmonix a few years).

You want custom pro guitar right now? Either figure it out yourself (e.g. add support to FoFiX, move to unsupported 360, etc), or do it the way people did it before RB3 existed.

We know RB3 has keys, harmonies, pro modes, SDHC... But that doesn't make it better. Vocals with RB3 have been the most frustrating experience I've ever had because of random screeching sounds, over sensitivity on Expert, and overdrive/talkie failure. I've had the USB ports die on me at least twice now. Video venues are horrible/blinding/boring backgrounds that should have never been created, since RB2 supported online characters in venues Harmonix/Backbone should have made an effort to keep the feeling of being in a virtual band there. There are good points about RB3, but I just focus on these bad points because they make the game feel broken.

titiln

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
anti-piracy in that the "you are a pirate" song plays and makes me reflect on my illegal actions and i just turn off the wii out of guilt and forget about playing

nightshad0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tueidj said:
I never said I expected the upgrades to be free. But I did expect to be able to buy the upgrades without having to purchase "RB3 versions" of songs I already own (which btw effectively makes the keyboard "upgrades" more expensive than the pro guitar/bass alone).
Of course it probably doesn't matter to you, seeing as you don't pay for your DLC.
Like i said before....the DLC 6th gen crack is out....no need to pay for the upgrade or importing RB2 songs.

Sorry Fenton, but no mather the way you us it, modifying a ledgit game with RawkSD, is pirate.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
jas20 said:
Regarding RawkSD's ability to rip games: this is similar to the ideal morals of ripping a CD to your computer. If you no longer own that disc, you must destroy all ripped copies.
Ripping games and bypass copy protection are illegal in many countries, regardless of the morality. In other countries however, even downloading games for free you dont own is completly legal.

I dont use RawkSD, but if it can dump games, it is in some countries an illegal tool.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nightshad0w said:
tueidj said:
I never said I expected the upgrades to be free. But I did expect to be able to buy the upgrades without having to purchase "RB3 versions" of songs I already own (which btw effectively makes the keyboard "upgrades" more expensive than the pro guitar/bass alone).
Of course it probably doesn't matter to you, seeing as you don't pay for your DLC.
Like i said before....the DLC 6th gen crack is out....no need to pay for the upgrade or importing RB2 songs.

Sorry Fenton, but no mather the way you us it, modifying a ledgit game with RawkSD, is pirate.

So modifying a legit game with a homebrew tool is pirating now?

I'm sure the NSMB Wii, translation, TvC, and tons of other teams are doing illegal activity right now.

No, what you're trying to do is justify your blatant theft by attempting to throw RawkSD down. If it was really illegal, don't you think it would have been shut down in the last year or so? It's obvious Harmonix knows about it.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
I dont use RawkSD, but if it can dump games, it is in some countries an illegal tool.

Good thing it doesn't dump games then, but rather dumps specific files with their existing encryption still intact.

pinkhyori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just to digress a little.

i find it odd that a little app like Riivolution/RawkSD3 can fix some of the problems/drawbacks of RB2 (lack of SDHC, customs)... whilst its not HMX's fault, if only Nintendo would allow patching of games post-release, that will be great.

in the longer term the X360 version of RB3 might get patched, they might listent o the community and fix some of their glaring problems, but the Wii version gets zip
frown.gif

Gohan3k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This might be completely off topic, and I know it's probably impossible.

But is there anyway to get the keyboard working with the old songs and customs on rock band 2, for easy and medium difficulties on the guitar?

I love the keyboard, but hate rock band 3, and since up to medium difficulty on rock band 2 (usually) only has 5 keys, can't they be set to match the 5 keys on the keyboard? I know this seems silly as the keyboard isnt a guitar and all, but meh.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Um...up to medium difficulty, you only uses 4 chords for the guitar (the orange button is only used in hard and expert).

Anyway...do I see things correctly that you want to use rock band 3's keyboard as an input device for rock band 2? As in...you press the leftmost note of the keyboard instead of holding the green button while strumming the guitar?

Either way...it's off-topic here. tueidj isn't going to include anything rock band 3'ish in rawkSD (see earlier posts in this thread), so I'd say there is a snowball-in-hell chance that this request will make it.

Impossible? I don't really think so. Some weeks back, I heard about a controller hack for donkey kong country returns that mapped the "rumble" function to a key for the classic controller (or something along those lines). An ocarina-cheat, in other words.
This isn't exactly the same...but not really different either. You got to find out what signal a button press of the RB3 keyboard sends to the wii, and then use an ocarina hack to convert that in the input of holding a guitar key+strumming.

Keep in mind: this is theory. I don't have the technical knowledge to say whether this can be done or not.

Remfin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you plug the keyboard into your computer and give us the USB VID/PID someone may be able to whip up a patch to TRY...but you'd have to be really lucky for it to work.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gohan3k said:
This might be completely off topic, and I know it's probably impossible.

But is there anyway to get the keyboard working with the old songs and customs on rock band 2, for easy and medium difficulties on the guitar?

I love the keyboard, but hate rock band 3, and since up to medium difficulty on rock band 2 (usually) only has 5 keys, can't they be set to match the 5 keys on the keyboard? I know this seems silly as the keyboard isnt a guitar and all, but meh.
The idea itself isn't really silly, since they implemented it in RB3. But putting the effort into making it work with RB2 probably is, since if you own the keyboard you most likely own RB3 and can use that instead.

Gohan3k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not so much that I want to play it on rock band 2, as it is that I want to play it with older songs, since only the new ones support keys. Rock band 2 would have the added bonus of customs via rawksd though.

But it seems like it's just a silly dream
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol