ROM Hack Ragnarok DS - English Translation Project

melvox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, you don't need the story if ever you're stuck, just look inside the quest menu....

Translating the storyline is a very time-consuming job.

People shouldn't rush nor tell the translators what they need to do or how to do it. We don't pay them for that, heck! they're not even getting paid to translate this game. They're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Kudos to the whole translating team.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
melvox said:
Actually, you don't need the story if ever you're stuck, just look inside the quest menu....

People shouldn't rush nor tell the translators what they need to do or how to do it. We don't pay them for that, heck! they're not even getting paid to translate this game. They're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Actually if you carefully read I never said what the translators should do, I just posed a question whether it was possible or not
wink.gif

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Densetsu3000 said:
I think because the end product that everyone sees is the English translation, they can see the work that the translators put into the game while they're playing it. But while playing the game, no one can see how much work the other team members put into the projectFixed, and yes that is quite true which is why we are trying to keep an up-to-date list of contributors with some notion of what kind of work they have been mainly doing (although most of the people on the team work on multiple areas).QUOTE(Densetsu3000 @ Jan 15 2009, 07:59 PM) which in my opinion, is much harder than the translators' job.
The difficulty of a job is ultimately down to the individual.

Also, there has been some progress on the editing the top menu, it's not done but let's just say it's closer.

melvox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Morgawr said:
melvox said:

Actually if you carefully read I never said what the translators should do, I just posed a question whether it was possible or not
wink.gif
Actually, I never said anything that I was talking about you or anyone. *ROFL* Do not jump to conclusions.

I'm only saying that I'm really thankful that the translation team are putting their hearts and souls, breaking their backs to give us something we can never fully thank them for.

Again, thanks to all involved with the translation project.
happy.gif

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
amatsusah said:
i made an account just to ask how frequently would the patch be updated? ill be so happy to know as i dont need to check everyday.
I can't say for sure but there's not a fixed date, I think the guys release a patch every time enough text has been translated to release a patch.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
amatsusah said:
i made an account just to ask how frequently would the patch be updated? ill be so happy to know as i dont need to check everyday.
Congratulations on making an account specifically to bug people.
No one is forcing you to check for new patches every day.

There is no set release schedule, however if you're looking for the best balance of 'checking often' and 'not checking' (For -everything-, not just this project) so you don't waste your time (even though you feel it OK to waste others with questions that if the answer was anything but "no set release schedule", it would be in the first post...), I would suggest Monday Night (EST = GMT-5) and Friday Night (EST = GMT-5).
By checking Friday Night, you're most likely to get the compilation of work, if released, that had been done over the weekdays. Since people are more likely to work or go to school Monday ~ Friday, work on side-projects like this tend to be slower.
By checking Monday Night, you're most likely to get the compilation of work, if released, that had been done over the weekend. Since people are more likely to have the weekend off from work or school, they can put more effort into side-projects and get more work done.
With this method, you cut your "time spent checking" by at least 71.43% (7/7 down to 2/7)... talk about efficiency.

kedamono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a place i can go to see a translations of the character skills until a patch is made? I've searched but to no avail.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kedamono said:
Is there a place i can go to see a translations of the character skills until a patch is made? I've searched but to no avail.
If you've searched 'to no avail', then you obviously didn't look too hard.
I suggest you try the first post here....
The patch has the skills translated.

Leky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
twiztidsinz said:
amatsusah said:
Congratulations on making an account specifically to bug people.
No one is forcing you to check for new patches every day.

There is no set release schedule, however if you're looking for the best balance of 'checking often' and 'not checking' (For -everything-, not just this project) so you don't waste your time (even though you feel it OK to waste others with questions that if the answer was anything but "no set release schedule", it would be in the first post...), I would suggest Monday Night (EST = GMT-5) and Friday Night (EST = GMT-5).
By checking Friday Night, you're most likely to get the compilation of work, if released, that had been done over the weekdays. Since people are more likely to work or go to school Monday ~ Friday, work on side-projects like this tend to be slower.
By checking Monday Night, you're most likely to get the compilation of work, if released, that had been done over the weekend. Since people are more likely to have the weekend off from work or school, they can put more effort into side-projects and get more work done.
With this method, you cut your "time spent checking" by at least 71.43% (7/7 down to 2/7)... talk about efficiency.

Twiz, by reading this tread I know you're under some stress of people asking and asking the same thing but really take a breath. Your latest replies have become very acid like. If you think that he is bugging you maybe let someone other answer them or don't answer them at all since people with common sense know better that to pressure the translating team and those people are really the reason to be doing this, isn't it?

Keep it up, you've been doing a great job so far.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
malodorous101 said:
Densetsu3000 said:
I think because the end product that everyone sees is the English translation, they can see the work that the translators put into the game while they're playing it. But while playing the game, no one can see how much work the other team members put into the project
Fixed, and yes that is quite true which is why we are trying to keep an up-to-date list of contributors with some notion of what kind of work they have been mainly doing (although most of the people on the team work on multiple areas).
Thanks for that. Of course I mean to include everyone, it's just that my original message was directed specifically at twiz.

Not to belabor the point, but I just want to remind some people that translating is only half of the work. Inserting the text into the game to make it fit, making the patch stable enough to play without crashes, etc. are just as important as the translation itself. Since that's what everyone on the contributors list is doing, it would be best not to bug them and ask when a patch will be released.

Do NOT create new accounts just to ask when new patches will be released. They'll be released when they're released.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Densetsu3000 said:
malodorous101 said:
Densetsu3000 said:
I think because the end product that everyone sees is the English translation, they can see the work that the translators put into the game while they're playing it. But while playing the game, no one can see how much work the other team members put into the project
Fixed, and yes that is quite true which is why we are trying to keep an up-to-date list of contributors with some notion of what kind of work they have been mainly doing (although most of the people on the team work on multiple areas).
Thanks for that. Of course I mean to include everyone, it's just that my original message was directed specifically at twiz.

Not to belabor the point, but I just want to remind some people that translating is only half of the work. Inserting the text into the game to make it fit, making the patch stable enough to play without crashes, etc. are just as important as the translation itself. Since that's what everyone on the contributors list is doing, it would be best not to bug them and ask when a patch will be released.

Do NOT create new accounts just to ask when new patches will be released. They'll be released when they're released.
Exactly, this is consider annoying members for their good effort. Leave them alone and soon it will come. Twiz, please don't stress yourself out from the SOB's nagging you because they are a bunch of noobs! They are just here to nag you, not to assist, encourage, or advice you what to do. I believe the Mods or Admins should take this personally since this is more like annoyance than breaking the rules. Still the new members shouldn't just be making a freakin' account to go like 'ZOMG WHERE'Z MI NEW PATCH ALREADY PLOX?!?' To me that's pure harassment and shows a bad omen to the community that GBATemp have made it so far.

winrehs

Trophies
XP
Country
TRUE TRUE. I bet those people who bug the translators and the rest are the ones who can't do anything. Remember the saying: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

amatsusah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
c'mon didnt u read the post before u, umm anyway sorry Twiz, i didnt mean that, to bug u or something...
sad.gif
but c'mon forgive me.
hey twiz, may i ask something?
i found that on the jap ver theres 3 pages of skills for the blksmith, but on the patched ver only 2pages of skills..., are they done on purpose so the game wont crash or lock up, or theres no translation for them yet?, i just noticed yesterday when i tried out the cheats for the jap ver.

hope it helps

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
amatsusah said:
c'mon didnt u read the post before u, umm anyway sorry Twiz, i didnt mean that, to bug u or something...
sad.gif
but c'mon forgive me.Dont worry bout it, it's all good.
QUOTE(amatsusah @ Jan 16 2009, 10:59 PM) hey twiz, may i ask something?
i found that on the jap ver theres 3 pages of skills for the blksmith, but on the patched ver only 2pages of skills..., are they done on purpose so the game wont crash or lock up, or theres no translation for them yet?, i just noticed yesterday when i tried out the cheats for the jap ver.

hope it helps
I'm not sure what you're talking about specifically.
If you're looking through the translated files, could you copy/paste them to me in a Private Message so that I can look over it, without it cluttering the thread with long posts?
If it's ingame that you mean, could you take a picture (or screenshot if you're using an emulator) and post a link here? ( You can use ImageShack or Photobucket if you do not have a preferred image host )

If you mean the description of a skill was shorter, it's because all skills will match to both versions ('ready' skill and skill with Prerequisites) and most likely needed to be shortened a little bit.

Veristical Blaze

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe its better when the whole menus and fighting guides and in-fighting text is translate and after that the storyline, cuz the main concept of this game is the lvling and fighting, ain't it? You translators choose yourselves this was just an suggestion
wink.gif

Anyway, You do a great job for the gaming world(pirate gaming world
wink.gif
)
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoANBgzYkQ