R4i 3DS - get a new card?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Arc of Time, Mar 4, 2013.

Mar 4, 2013
  1. Arc of Time
    OP

Newcomer Arc of Time Newbie

Australia
    Hey guys & girls. I'm a PC gamer and don't use my 3DS much... so my knowledge is pretty low. Given that I'd never had problems with DS/3DS before and am obviously a newb, I stupidly updated my 3DS firmware to 4.5.0 when I recently turned it on for the first time in months. This of course 'broke' my R4i3DS (which I've now learned through a bit of research on here).

So would appreciate your thoughts on whether an update will be released by http://www.r4ids.cn or not for older cards. Looking at the website, it's been a few months now so I don't know if they're just slow or don't care and have abandoned old cards?

I'm about to go backpacking for a year and need on-the-road entertainment for flights etc so my 3DS is now important! Two questions and would appreciate any and all responses:

1. As above, is it likely they'll release a patch? I have an old phat DS I can use to update the card though wasn't going to bring it on the road. Would it be better to just buy a new card?

2. If getting a new one, will the R4i for example that i'd buy here (http://www.ozmodchips.com/r4i-sdhc-r4ds-for-dsdsi3ds-p-207.html) work with 4.5.0? I'm in Australia and can pop down to the store tomorrow to pick one up if I have to.

Thanks again!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Which hardware revision is it?

Don't buy R4-SDHC, they purposely put out new carts after a few updates so you have to keep buying them over and over. Just look at the "downlaod" page for proof of how many revisions have died.

3. Arc of Time
    OP

Newcomer Arc of Time Newbie

Australia
    Thanks mate, I did a bit more research last night and decided to get a DSTWO for the GBA emulation. Picked one up today and copying games onto it right now!