R4DS Micro SD reader corrupts card?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Spotpuff, Jan 24, 2007.

Jan 24, 2007
  1. Spotpuff
    OP

Newcomer Spotpuff Member

Canada
    I've been using the SD adapter that came with my flash card to transfer files onto the Micro SD. The problem is if I use the Micro SD USB drive that came with the R4DS it renders the card corrupted it seems. I've only used it three times and every single time I tried the USB drive either refused to write to the card, hung, or corrupted whatever was on the card in the third case.

Has anyone else had these problems? I'm fairly content with using the SD adapter, but having a micro SD reader/writer would be nice too. I don't want to send the whole thing back to get a replacement either.

2. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    Use a replacement card reader, the ones that come with the R4/M3s are notoriously problematic

3. jehu111

Newcomer jehu111 Newbie

Canada
    I had the same problems. it would fail in copying a file, then the card would be corrupted. Stopped using it.

4. Spotpuff
    OP

Newcomer Spotpuff Member

Canada
    Awesome; why'd they bother including this POS then anyways? It costs them money and ruins cards :T

Ugh.

5. anjel

Newcomer anjel Newbie

I used the R4 reader for a few days, and then it started to freeze my PC whenever I plugged it in. It's not a very reliable accessory. [​IMG]

6. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    only (edit: only?!?) 10% don't work, the others work fine.. and it's kinda a bonus item to persuade you to buy it... [​IMG]

7. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    There was apparently a bad batch of the readers. They assumed they all worked, which majority of them do. I've used mine since I got it and it's been perfect. The few bad ones that turned up became enough of a problem that they replaced it with a totally different one. Nonetheless, I was lucky enough to get one of them that has no problems at all.

EDIT: ...this is like, the third time you've beat me to a response, iamwhoiam...making my post redundant..stop fucking ninjaing all over my shit [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I've had no problems yet with the card reader I got. I do have another card reader but that doesn't read microsd cards. The R4 reader just saves me plugging the microsd card into an sd adapter.

9. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you mean? ..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. joe_gamer

Member joe_gamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No problems with mine, but the opening was a bit tight. It's the new batch.

11. aphexpusher

Member aphexpusher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    had the same problem with the blue reader I got with my r4. first it was freezing my pc then I had issues with corrupted files and directories and then finally it just melted lol literally melted. nuts. just dont use em. not worth it. buy a cheap one from newegg.com or something.

12. nbcz

Newcomer nbcz Member

Canada
    so once the card is corrupt, what do you do? I've tried to put it into my camera and it's so corrupt that my camera won't turn on.
    Does this mean that the MircoSD is hooped?

13. Spotpuff
    OP

Newcomer Spotpuff Member

Canada
    I reformatted the flash card and it worked fine. But I am not going to use the USB reader again. Risk just isn't worth it; if it's corrupting files, who knows what else could go wrong?

14. SkuiD87

Member SkuiD87 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've got my R4 on the way ordered from BambooGaming (shipping takes forever!).

How will I know if my reader is from the new batch or the old batch? Does anyone have the new batch already? Whats the difference?

Pics of corrupted Readers and new batch readers would be helpful...

Thanks

15. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Killed my card ($27)

16. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I got the small black/grey TF reader with the two raised diamonds in the new batch from from RHS. Worked for a little while and then started locking up. POS. Luckily I went back to my old reader before the freebie killed any of my cards.

17. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    There's already been like 5 different readers they've sent out from what I've seen/read. Apparently this one (link) seen in the review doesn't work according to shaunj66 (link). This is the one I received (link) and it's worked perfectly since I've got it. Then there's the black/grey one just mentioned (sorry, can't find a pic of). I also think there's at least one more I've read that someone got. Not sure what to tell ya since the different ones included obviously aren't consistent enough :/

18. Spotpuff
    OP

Newcomer Spotpuff Member

Canada
    I have the reader that is dark grey that is slightly transparent with 2 raised diamond/square sections. It's borked :T

19. wuka

Newcomer wuka Member

I have one of the blue ones. It's still working fine after several dozen uses, but with a lot of people having problems with it, I'm getting worried if it will fry my microsd one day... I've switched temporarily to an ultra slow 1MB/s reader. [​IMG]

20. Bill Gates03

Newcomer Bill Gates03 Member

United States
    How could it possibly completely mess up the microSD card? Wouldn't it have to do something physically to it for that to happen?