Hacking R4DS/DS Simply Skin Competition

Nif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to second this nomination, this is now one of my three favorite skins. Does it have a name?

I put "Applish" in the Theme.ini because it was inspired by some stuff in the aquasoft community. I'm not very good with names.
unsure.gif
It's mainly supposed to be an open source thing so people can put their own backgrounds in. I change mine often enough, I figure others might as well.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good idea, but make sure to keep tabs on the votes.

Lucky for me, tabs are kept on votes for me in this thread. I'm just going to go through it on Friday or Saturday or something. I envision a list/tally mark type system. The final nominees will also be posted before the official voting thread opens, so you can tell me if you think I'm full of shit.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey since firmware 1.07 I was able to fit 12 skins, so now i get to look at different skin for each month. I gotta say put your ds lite on maximum brightness, and these skins look SICK!!.

brn

Trophies
XP
Country
Otherwise, what's the point?

I agree - also talking about being a student of "xxxxx" makes you more qualified than others. You have to remember that no matter what you are studying, you are still a student wanker and not qualified to give a valid opinion on anything other than richard and judy, floppy hair, shite warm weak lager and how you are feeling depressed.
tongue.gif

Soo true
smile.gif

And Mr. Little, chill out. Just because it's a handheld and it's pirating software doesn't mean it can't look amazingly slick and cool like the Mac OS, PSP or Wii interface. I'm not being arrogant, I have a sense of humour and I'm also self-confident because usually, when it comes to these things, I'm right. I'm sure that, while you're no economics-wizard or whatever - you're waaaay better at math than most people on this board - especially the guys asking for roms
wink.gif

Anyway I've decided to make a skin for y'all later this week. It's gonna be slick!

Kyori Kusagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seeing i'm a graphic design student which i think hold just a bit more water when it comes to things like this,

I dunno about "holding more water," but I find your color choices and compositions to be a bit tactless. There's a certain lack of rythm and harmony about it that I feel keeps it from being as effective as it could be. It looks generally messy, which is a shame, because I can see where you're going with it, and it shows potential. I would suggest that you keep working on it... primarily on getting it to look neater. Be careful not to lose the sense of playfulness, though. There's a fine line between neat and boring.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Other people have mentioned GCTonyHawk7's work, and I'd like to second the nomination for the Simply Vista series. Specifically the Drop Skin:

dropspreview.jpg

That whole series is awesome. I was psyched about the new firmware just so I could load all of them.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick and dirty, I just went through and made a quick tally of all the nominated/seconded skins so that you can all see where we're at. For voting purposes, I counted nominations as votes, and I also counted pretty much every mention of "I use" or "I love" or "My favorite is" as a vote as well.

I also counted "Packs" as single products. Same thing for skins that were modified by other people. I know that there's going to be at least one person out there who's going to bitch about this being a shitty idea, there always is. But I think that the alternative is much worse. People spreading their votes for skins across different colors and backgrounds just punishes a skin maker by having no single skin of theirs stand out. Hardly fair since people editing their skin means that people love the basic skin idea.

I didn't know the names for a couple of the skins, so I just put something down for this tally. In the case of "Horrible Mutation," I think that my name is going to be better than anything that the author can come up with, but that's not for me to decide.
wub.gif

If I misspelled or got the wrong case on either your skin or name (or even used the wrong name completely), please let me know and I'll change it.

Unless there's a huge outcry against it, I'm probably going to make the voting thread consist of only the top 10 skins from this thread. It's a manageable number, I think, and it should make things pretty competitive to get to the voting thread.

And I think that's it. Vote for as many skins as you want, but please don't vote for the same skin more than once. And there's also still plenty of time to make a whole new skin if you'd like to have it be considered.

1 - Wii Clouds (by .TakaM): 9 votes
2 - Simply Vista (by GCTonyHawk7): 4 votes
3 - Blue Flow (by mFlo): 4 votes
4 - DS Menu (by Akotan): 4 votes
5 - NDSL Remake (original by kiruyama, edits by mFlo, MavisXP, and others): 3 votes
6 - Nippon Sunrise (by mFlo): 3 votes
7 - Simply Duotone (GCTonyHawk7): 3 votes
8 - Applish (by Nif): 2 votes
9 - Xeoset (by marth989): 2 votes
10 - NET NAVI (by kikoexe): 2 votes
11 - PET V5 (by kikoexe): 2 votes
12 - Horrible Mutation (by poloman): 2 votes
13 - Zelda: TP Skin (by larrylje): 2 votes
14 - Black & White (by Kahn): 2 votes
15 - Unofficial GBAtemp Skin (by lagman): 1 vote
16 - Sushi (by mFlo): 1 vote
17 - Starcraft Skin (by Killermech): 1 vote
18 - Fierce Dawn (by Killermech): 1 vote
19 - DS/DS Black & Red (by Kahn): 1 vote
20 - FFIII RIVDS (by fli guy84): 1 vote
21 - DSXP Total Skin Pack (Big Lou): 1 vote

poloman

Trophies
XP
Country
lol at "Horrible Mutation"! sums it up nicely i think. good work on the running tally.

would it be cheeky to suggest that the top 12 could be bundled up and made into a handy pack that can be installed on peoples cards?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless there's a huge outcry against it, I'm probably going to make the voting thread consist of only the top 10 skins from this thread. It's a manageable number, I think, and it should make things pretty competitive to get to the voting thread.
Rather than choosing an arbitrary number of skins for the final poll, you should go by the number of nomination votes they recieve.

I think every skin that recieves at least 2 nominations should be in the poll. If that turns out to be more than the twenty you can have in the poll, then make it every skin that recieves at least three nominations.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Where's my skin on that list? I think I'm like the second one to enter.

You're absolutely right. Sorry about that.

And while we're on the subject, I really love your skin. Going so far as to make a youtube preview is really professional, I think. The only problem is that the clock in the lower left hand corner extends over the R4 icon, which kinda ruins the effect. Same thing with the text on the top screen (I can't remember what it says because my girlfriend has the DS right now), it overlaps a little with the window, which is something else that I think could be easily fixed.

It's great convincing people that I have XP or Vista downloaded onto my DS, though.
smile.gif

QUOTEwould it be cheeky to suggest that the top 12

Fantastic idea, dude.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless there's a huge outcry against it, I'm probably going to make the voting thread consist of only the top 10 skins from this thread. It's a manageable number, I think, and it should make things pretty competitive to get to the voting thread.
Rather than choosing an arbitrary number of skins for the final poll, you should go by the number of nomination votes they recieve.

I think every skin that recieves at least 2 nominations should be in the poll. If that turns out to be more than the twenty you can have in the poll, then make it every skin that recieves at least three nominations.

Noted. Though I'd hardly consider 10 to be an "arbitrary" number. Top 10's are extremely common. And like poloman suggested, there'd be a pretty solid reason behind having it be a top 12. I guess we can just see what we end up with in a few days and go from there.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Noted. Though I'd hardly consider 10 to be an "arbitrary" number. Top 10's are extremely common.
It's quite common to have a list of the top ten whatevers that are the most or least something or other, but that's the final verdict, not the ones that get nominated.

If you select one skin for the final poll that recieves a certain number of nominations, but not another skin with the same number of nominations, that is arbitrary.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is what I'm using right now, and I love it:

logo.jpg

icons.jpg

bckgrd_1.jpg

bckgrd_2.jpg

Unsure of the name, though.Â
frown.gif

Uhh, THeres a couple of variations of that, I was the one who added the blue patterns to it, then other people made minor pixel changes to there liking. The very first one was by...kiruyama i think, then I modified by adding the blue patterns. There are several variations by different people.
I think it went kiruyama's original creation, then mflo edited it with the blue patterns, then my edit changing a few more pixels and adding the light adjustment/soft reset/file selection text, then finally MavisXP. I did a couple more edits after that and it's what I'm currently using. Only skin I've used since my PSP ones and GCTonyHawk's Duotone ones and probably the last I'll be using.

bskinpreview.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1