R4 DS (update to work on 3DS?)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Euden, Sep 3, 2011.

Sep 3, 2011

R4 DS (update to work on 3DS?) by Euden at 2:03 AM (14,838 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Euden
    OP

Newcomer Euden Member

United Kingdom
    I bought a 3ds today already updated to v2.1.0-4E, hoping to use my R4 card on it, it doesnt even register in the card slot as a card. is there any updates for the R4 cards used on the original DS for the 3ds? or am i going to have to invest in another card?

2. Yeloazndevil

Member Yeloazndevil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the original R4 won't work on a 3ds or even a dsi. you're gonna have to buy a new flash cart like the R4i, acekard 2i, supercard ds2

3. emmanu888

Member emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    no you need a new card to use on the 3ds the original r4 is only for the ds/dsl

edit : ninja'd [​IMG]

4. Andreagun

Newcomer Andreagun Newbie

United States
    Excuse me [​IMG] 1 info.
    I have the r4i sdhc compatible with 3ds. I have updated my 3ds firmware yesterday, can i use my r4i (updating the card on the official site) with the latest 3ds firmware?? or nintendo will block my 3ds?? Sorry for my noob questions, but i'm afraid :S

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    nintendo will not block your 3ds. =) update and enjoy homebrew in all its glory!

-another world

6. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    By r4 sdhc I'm going to assume you mean a www.r4i-sdhc.com cart. If so as you have already updated your 3DS software then you will need to update your cart in either a DS/DSl or an unuipdated 3DS/DSi before it will work in your now updated 3DS.

7. Andreagun

United States
    Do you have a link that explain how to update the r4?? I have a ds lite black.. Can i update the r4 with that console?

8. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    It would be more helpful if rather than calling your cart a R4 you used the webaddress on the front of your cart (your cart isn't a real R4 as it is SDHC compatible and it's also, from what you say, supposed to be compatible with the 3DS which are things that the original R4 cart were never designed to do) as that way we can properly identify your cart and it's update procedure.

9. Andreagun

United States
  10. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    So you actually have a www.r4i-sdhc.com (the web address on the front of the cart is what I was after not the shop where you got it from) so if you read this it actually tells you how to update your cart via the Wi-Fi feature of it's kernel.

11. Immortal_no1

Member Immortal_no1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

The original message was from Euden,

Can you post the picture of the card that you're using.

If you bought a R4i gold card from r4ids.cn even though it's not a 3ds card.... you can update it to work on the latest version of the firmware. however if it's not a R4i Gold card then unfortunately i believe that you'll have to get a newer card.

12. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    It's already been established that Euden has an original R4 card which is why it is not being recognised at all.

Many R4i cards can now be updated to work with the 3DS firmware not just R4i Gold cards (of which there are several different cards calling themselves the "official" R4i Gold card (as there are no such things as "official" R4i cards let alone R4i Gold cards it is just a marketing gimmick) and not all of them can be updated).

13. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    What shit are you writing here, Buleste???

R4 Gold and R4idsn are official supported through Wood.

That's not a marketing gimmik, but the truth.

Both cards run very good, they even run better than DS2 or AK2i.

Maybe you don't like them, but don't spam shit about them on internet forums.

14. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    I am not spreading shit.

The R4idsn.com R4i gold is officially supported by the Wood team but they are not Official R4i carts made by the original R4 team. Therefore they are not official carts. They are clones.

No R4i carts can be called official as the original R4 team never made an R4i cart. Therefore for anyone to say they are producing the "official" R4i cart would be a marketing gimmick and not the truth.

I never said whether I liked them or not nor did I compare them to any other flashcart so do not go falsely accusing me of anything.

Please think before you go needlessly attacking people.

15. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    Oh really???

Nobody ever claimed that, you know...

Thy get official support through Wood. They run very good. They don't need flashing like a DSTwo or an Acekard.

16. pspunabletohack

Member pspunabletohack GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Lolz Buleste is right in my opinion

17. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    As I said they get Official support from the Wood team. However this does not make them Official R4i carts as they were not made by the R4 team. It means that they are officially supported by the team that create the kernel updates for the official R4 cart and it's clones.

Also to say they do not need flashing is incorrect. They didn't need flashing for the last firmware updates unlike most other carts. However they may well need flashing when the next set of DSi/3DS firmware updates come out.