Hacking Question about upgrading from Luma 8.0 / firmware 11.4 to Luma 9/firmware 11.6

DarkPhobia0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi everyone!

I haven't touched my New 3DS XL and I wanted to put it up to date, so I was wondering the right approach to update from luma 8.0/ firm 11.4 to Luma 9/firm 11.6.
1- Is the proper approach to follow the "Updating B9S" section of 3DS guide site?
2- If it's the correct method, then, which data should I remove when it says "For all steps in this section, overwrite any existing files on your SD card." I'd like to avoid losing my previously downloaded games if possible.

Thanks for the help!!

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I haven't touched my New 3DS XL and I wanted to put it up to date, so I was wondering the right approach to update from luma 8.0/ firm 11.4 to Luma 9/firm 11.6.
1- Is the proper approach to follow the "Updating B9S" section of 3DS guide site?
2- If it's the correct method, then, which data should I remove when it says "For all steps in this section, overwrite any existing files on your SD card." I'd like to avoid losing my previously downloaded games if possible.

Thanks for the help!!
First if all, it would be more helpful if you knew what a cfw was. Your 3ds is functioning exactly like a vanilla 3ds in every way. The only difference is that the 3ds has a few extra patches on the firmware provided by boot.firm on the sd card. Deleting this file won't do anything to the 3ds besides keeping it from booting up untill the file is returned. This means you can update normally through system settings just like any other 3ds and you can update luma by downloading the newest luma boot.firm and just replacing it on the sd card. You can also update and download games normally. If you want to learn more, i link to a small essay in my signature I wrote on the subject for future reference.

DarkPhobia0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks a lot for the info!
Following the other thread I noticed all b9s versions support 11.6, so I updated Luma first via Luma updater, then proceeded to upgrade to 11.6 via System Update. Everything worked as expected!

Thanks!

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the info!
Following the other thread I noticed all b9s versions support 11.6, so I updated Luma first via Luma updater, then proceeded to upgrade to 11.6 via System Update. Everything worked as expected!

Thanks!
It should support all future firmwares as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...