3DS won't boot to the home menu after updating Luma 3DS.

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tried plugging it in, but nothing. This started when I saw a new version of Luma 3DS from the updater app on my 3DS, but upon trying to install it, it just gave me an error. That app has been discontinued, so I connected my 3DS to my computer to try installing it there. I downloaded the latest .zip file and I did was replace the boot. firm and boot.3dsx files with the new ones. I did this all via microSD management. Once the transfer finished, I pressed back on the 3ds, and that's when the error appeared. It just kept on showing up every time I turned it on. I even tried putting them on my 3ds again with the microSD card port on my Chromebook (my PC doesn't have an SD card slot.) The method of troubleshooting I tried was booting it into safe mode, which just brought up the same error. I tried booting into the Luma 3DS configuration menu (Holding SELECT when booting) which gave me the same error. When I boot with no microSD card inserted, the blue light just lights up, then immediately turns off again. I tried getting help from the homebrew Discord server, but no help there. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. The model of 3DS I have is the New 3DS XL with a 32 GB sd card. The error that I get is,

An error has occurred:
Failed to mount SD.
Press any button to shutdown

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything I should try to do? I've inserted the SD card into my Chromebook and an Android phone and it was recognized perfectly.

You can try to eject the card and put it back it, you could also try to reseat the SD card flex, but you have to open the back cover up. Since you can't get it to the home menu you can't even FTP in from android device, you really need a windows computer.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma Updater is outdated if that's what you used to check for the latest Luma3DS (if not Universal-Updater). Check the lock slider on your sd card adapter, it should be in the "unlocked" position. Try with another adapter if you have to.
Were you having any issues or random errors before you decided to update Luma3DS?

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma Updater is outdated if that's what you used to check for the latest Luma3DS (if not Universal-Updater). Check the lock slider on your sd card adapter, it should be in the "unlocked" position. Try with another adapter if you have to.
Were you having any issues or random errors before you decided to update Luma3DS?
No problems at all. I just saw that for an app that I use that the latest version of Luma3DS is recommended and when I found it, I installed it. And that's how this all happened. Also, my microSD card doesn't have a lock position. I'm plugging it directly into my Chromebook. Before that, i used FTP or microSD management.
Post automatically merged:

You can try to eject the card and put it back it, you could also try to reseat the SD card flex, but you have to open the back cover up. Since you can't get it to the home menu you can't even FTP in from android device, you really need a windows computer.
I already have the backplate removed if that's what you're asking. If you're talking about removing the actual case, then I don't think I'm advanced enough to do that. My point is, I can access the physical SD Card.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problems at all. I just saw that for an app that I use that the latest version of Luma3DS is recommended and when I found it, I installed it. And that's how this all happened. Also, my microSD card doesn't have a lock position. I'm plugging it directly into my Chromebook. Before that, i used FTP or microSD management.

I already have the backplate removed if that's what you're asking. If you're talking about removing the actual case, then I don't think I'm advanced enough to do that. My point is, I can access the physical SD Card.
If you don't have a micro sd card adapter to insert to transfer files from your pc, you can use your phone, just copy the latest (boot.firm) Luma3DS to the root of the sdcard, and test again. Maybe the boot.firm file didn't ftp correctly..

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have a micro sd card adapter to insert to transfer files from your pc, you can use your phone, just copy the latest (boot.firm) Luma3DS to the root of the sdcard, and test again. Maybe the boot.firm file didn't ftp correctly..
Ok, doing that right now.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1679872237127.png

You have to open it up enough to see the entire SD card flex, anyway try what @CoolMe suggested, you need to find a way to put a new copy of boot.firm on the root of the SD card, see if that boot for you.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I strongly recommend NOT messing with the internals of your 3DS until you at least try another SD card. I've never heard of the cables spontaneously breaking and there's a good chance you could make things worse!

Ideally, you should back up everything on your current SD card (Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier is suggested), format the card, test the empty SD card with h2testw, and then copy everything back again, but only if h2testw says your card is okay. Of course, this will require you to have some sort of SD card reader for your PC, so you'll have to get one.

If you can get a new SD card, then all you have to do is make sure it is properly-formatted and then copy boot.3dsx and boot.firm to the card, and then see if your 3DS will boot with it.

Reactions: Tokiwa and CoolMe

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I strongly recommend NOT messing with the internals of your 3DS until you at least try another SD card. I've never heard of the cables spontaneously breaking and there's a good chance you could make things worse!

Ideally, you should back up everything on your current SD card (Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier is suggested), format the card, test the empty SD card with h2testw, and then copy everything back again, but only if h2testw says your card is okay. Of course, this will require you to have some sort of SD card reader for your PC, so you'll have to get one.

If you can get a new SD card, then all you have to do is make sure it is properly-formatted and then copy boot.3dsx and boot.firm to the card, and then see if your 3DS will boot with it.
Ok, thank you so much. I will see if i can borrow my sister's laptop and ill see what happens.

paprika89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh btw, i have an update. Yesterday, i tried installing an older version of luma 3ds (11.0) and that worked perfectly. It might've been an issue with the newer version. just thought id mention that. thanks for the help :)

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh btw, i have an update. Yesterday, i tried installing an older version of luma 3ds (11.0) and that worked perfectly. It might've been an issue with the newer version. just thought id mention that. thanks for the help :)
..or it didn't transfer correctly the first time. You can copy the latest boot.firm (v.12) and try again, it'll work this time.

v3688e

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Same with my 2DS after trying to update, installed an older version of luma3ds, i.e. v11.0 works. Neither v12.0 nor V12.0.1worked, it gave the "Fail to mount SD." error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto