[Q] Took apart Switch, can't get it back together again; will Nintendo give me trouble?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Roxie Mika, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    So long story short, I took apart my Switch thinking I could replace a part on my own and for cheaper (it cracked); I couldn't.

I noticed NoA's policies said something to the effect of "we will not repair any device that is tampered with"; I'm hoping this refers specifically to software modifications and modchips and the like, but do you all think that Nintendo will give me any trouble over this, or should I lie to them and just say "oh it fell out of my hands onto a tile floor and fell to pieces" or something?
    Sounds unlikely, but certainly more plausibly deniable than just outright saying "HEY GUYS I THOUGHT I WAS A BETTER REPAIR TECHNICIAN THAN ALL OF YOU but it turns out I'm not please fix this", you know?

2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    They won't fix it period. They definitely won't take it if you tell the truth, and it will be obvious you are lying if it comes partially disassembled instead of just broken. Even if they believed you they definitely wouldn't fix it under warranty, and are very unlikely to even attempt repair. They'll likely just get you to buy a new system

Memoir likes this.
  3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    This. You messed up. Just own up to it and cut your losses...

4. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
  5. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Wasn't attempting to get it done under warranty; I'm well aware physical damage is a paid repair no matter what. I was mostly just hoping I could send it in and have them reassemble it pretty much. If it comes down to giving up and just buying a new main console and losing my saved data I'll just live with that.

6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    If you need someone to reassemble it you might be able to find someone on here.

7. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Trust me, that was the first resource I went for. I fully admit to being too stupid to follow it in reverse; in particular, I couldn't for the life of me manage to reconnect the Joy-Con rails, or the screen digitizer to the gamecard/headphone-jack daughterboard. I also managed to lose pretty much all the screws in my haste.

Yeah, I'd be open to that. I need to get a new gamecard slot/headphone jack daughterboard as that's the only part besides the screws that are outright missing, but once I got that in I'd be very much open to tossing someone knowledgeable something like $80-$100 (or more, if more is necessary) to put it back together.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Glad I didn't go sending anything to Nintendo as it'd've been a waste of time and money.

Last edited by Roxie Mika, Feb 1, 2018
  8. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    I'm sure they will be happy to charge you for refurbished one or a new one. They won't fix for free since you took it apart.

9. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    How "messed up" is it? Pics would help.

10. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    They would be glad to offer you a new one for a discount of $300 Us dollars....

11. delete12345

delete12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
  12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    That's not smart things to do. You made a wrong decision. Tsk tsk. Dont do that. Now Nintendo will not fix it for you because you void the warrant.

13. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    If you waren't that far I could have helped you at the cost of a coffee.
    Else if you pay both send and return I do not ask for more :)
    (if needed you can pm any time.)

Roxie Mika likes this.
  14. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    I appreciate the offer! I'll keep it in mind. Shipping from US to France and back isn't too bad; certainly cheaper than a brand new Switch at least.

15. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    If I am right it was about around 20€ when I do send something there.
    And no problem :)

16. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    If you post where you exactly in detail with pictures someone may be able to step you through it.
    Lost screws can (maybe) be bought, you need to know the size and length though.

17. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Warranties are void as soon as you remove a screw.

Pip'

18. Rhapsody

Rhapsody GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    United States
    I'm a bit late but it's been stated that iFixit's teardowns aren't done in a way where the device can be put back together again, more often than not. They generally have guides for disassembly and reassembly elsewhere, though.

Roxie Mika likes this.
  19. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    I already said I was going to just do a paid repair. It's physical damage; obviously I wouldn't be submitting it for in-warranty repair.

20. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Warranty wouldn't have covered the issue?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice