pSNES: Switch Snes9x port

Here is pSNES, a snes9x port to multiple platforms.

screenshot_mini.png

Readme:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/pemu/blob/master/psnes/README.MD

Source code:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/pemu/

Download:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/pemu/releases/

• devkitPro and libnx people: fincs, WntrMute, yellows8, plutoo...
  • ScHlAuChi for providing a 3.0 Switch! (you rock mate)

Last edited by cpasjuste,

acphydro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this pass the 240p Test Suite Scroll Test for judder? I'm curious about all four output modes (handheld, docked 480p, docked 720p, and docked 1080p)

Motion should be smooth with absolutely no judder.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen judder in a video game. I think you’re thinking of stutter and not judder. I’ve only ever seen judder on movies. So I’m guessing that it should pass any and all types of judder testing.

ooosuby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if anyone else have this problem so I started Mario rpg on 1.3 in game save worked like a charm and I update to 1.5 played the game for bout an hour saved it turn it off...next day turn it on to play and it didn’t save the file that was there was from 1.3...

codygs83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the latest release of this gem and couldn't be happier

Except for maybe a ::cough cough:: pNes version ::cough::

But seriously... Awesome work! Thank you for this and pfba as well!

For all the image pack comments just read the past few pages on how to find game previews or just Google it. Or as another user posted just download universal xml scraper and go to town that's what I'm using for psnes and pfba

Reactions: DollyWhipDoll

Martek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also have issues with save states. For me the 1.5 version is not saving at all. 1.3 was working.

Even when manually creating a save state and I try to load it I get an error message that this save file is not in a snes9x format

Randall Stevens

Not a fan of stupid people
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I searched "bad checksum" and only found one other person ask about it...with no response.

I've tried version 1.3 and 1.5 and every rom (zip files) I try and load gives me this error followed by a black screen.

dheath

Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
Just a question. Does any one else experience sound problems when returning to psnes having the switch in sleep-mode?

It gets all distorted for me. Which is fine because if you save a state, reload the rom, then load the state you're right back where you left. But since I haven't heard anyone else in this thread complain about it maybe it's just me... Happening on v1.3,v1.4 and v1.5.
EDIT: Sorry I see this has already been addressed yesterday.

Last edited by dheath,

Martek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If this helps: I am using the unzipped roms. Also I am on SX OS 1.2 (although saving worked with this combination with pSNES 1.3)

I will try another cfw tomorrow to see if this is SX OS related.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If this helps: I am using the unzipped roms. Also I am on SX OS 1.2 (although saving worked with this combination with pSNES 1.3)

I will try another cfw tomorrow to see if this is SX OS related.
SX OS is janky, but save states worked fine for me on 1.5..

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada

I_doTinySoldering

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen judder in a video game. I think you’re thinking of stutter and not judder. I’ve only ever seen judder on movies. So I’m guessing that it should pass any and all types of judder testing.

snip snip (Because I'm snippy.)

The title says cycle accurate. Okay. How accurate?

I want to know if the screen is refreshing at ~60.09Hz or 60Hz. ~60.09Hz is accurate. (No, your OSSC is lying to you. It's not 60.08Hz.)

If it is 60Hz and the emulator is speed and cycle accurate, there's two possibilities: the emulator drops frames or the Nvidia chip is performing frame rate conversion. Both can and will cause occasional judder. Judder also happens on televisions because of 24fps film content being converted to 60Hz.

So, yes, it is judder. snip

There's also the Kevtris route: underclock the emulator to output 60Hz.

Regardless, knowing how the test pattern looks starts to give me a clue about what's going on. I know the Switch can't do variable refresh, so a smooth output means underclocking or true ~60.09Hz output.

Last edited by I_doTinySoldering,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

I want to know if the screen is refreshing at ~60.09Hz or 60Hz. ~60.09Hz is accurate. (No, your OSSC is lying to you. It's not 60.08Hz.)

If it is 60Hz and the emulator is speed and cycle accurate, there's two possibilities: the emulator drops frames or the Nvidia chip is performing frame rate conversion. Both can and will cause occasional judder. Judder also happens on televisions because of 24fps film content being converted to 60Hz.

Regardless, knowing how the test pattern looks starts to give me a clue about what's going on. I know the Switch can't do variable refresh, so a smooth output means underclocking or true ~60.09Hz output.
What title says "cycle accurate"?

I_doTinySoldering

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. My bad. That was the NES thread.

Regardless, this affects all kind of emulators because the defacto 60Hz standard for video game devices is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yep. My bad. That was the NES thread.

Regardless, this affects all kind of emulators because the defacto 60Hz standard for video game devices is a fairly recent phenomenon.
I was thinking "LaiNES" when I read that, then read the OP 5 times trying to make sure. :x

acphydro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Judder is a specific thing. I see what you’re seeing too but it’s definitely not judder. Judder is a specific type of motion issue due to the frame rate and refresh and most of the time someone sees imperfect motion they commonly use the term judder to describe it as you did there.

I know it probably looks like I called you out to be a dick but I didn’t. If you want it fixed though you definitely want them looking for the correct thing which is why I quoted and replied. If there had been a title that said cycle accurate or what have you it would’ve been different

D

Deleted User

beat star fox today so much fun!

I had one crash on level 2 middle path in docked played last level docked all levels work flawless portable

I_doTinySoldering

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judder is a specific thing. I see what you’re seeing too but it’s definitely not judder. Judder is a specific type of motion issue due to the frame rate and refresh and most of the time someone sees imperfect motion they commonly use the term judder to describe it as you did there.

I know it probably looks like I called you out to be a dick but I didn’t. If you want it fixed though you definitely want them looking for the correct thing which is why I quoted and replied. If there had been a title that said cycle accurate or what have you it would’ve been different

I can't agree.

Judder references jerky motion that is due to a mismatch in refresh rate. If the Switch can't produce the native SNES refresh and the emulation isn't underclocked, there will be judder.

I have no idea where it will manifest itself, but there's two possibilities: the emulator can drop frames or the Nvidia hardware can perform frame rate conversion. Neither option is really acceptable and that's why I asked if the scrolling test looks right.

Studdering is actually a specific term with a specific meaning. It references repeated frames in frame rate conversion. We might encounter studder when we convert standard NTSC output from a PS2 to a flat 60Hz. Because the source refresh rate is below the target display refresh rate, we will need to occasionally repeat or studder frames. This will cause scrolling to occasionally appear to stop and restart.

Dropping frames is another term with a specific meaning. We might encounter dropped frames performing frame rate conversion on a NES or SNES to get a flat 60Hz. Because, the native source refresh exceeds the target rate, we will need to drop frames to remain in sync. This will cause scrolling to hitch with an occasional jump--as if the scrolling jumped ahead very quickly for just one moment.

It's all motion judder.

Additionally, these problems may also be accompanied with tearing, but we reference that artifact separately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol