HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it

First things first, I should start by saying that if you have an OLED-specific clone chip you're fine.

Anyways, all HWFLY Lite chips come with Spacecraft v1. For those that don't know, Spacecraft v1 sets certain pins to 5V that shouldn't be set to that on an OLED.

You can find more info in the readme of my application here: https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/payloadchecker

All this application does is check the payload that's currently written and checks it to verified hashes stored in the program.

Steps to follow are:

Boot hekate
Dump BOOT0
Check it on application

If you have a genuine modchip, update it to the latest Spacecraft v2 before you install it into an OLED.

The OLED-specific modchip also comes with broken USB debugging, if you want to fix this issue you will need to write this repaired firmware binary.

Afuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, I can see the spaceship but I thought I was on a V1, can we get a confirmation of this maybe?

My BOOT0 looks like below

View attachment 293156

My BOOT0 indicates v2 but I do not have the spaceship boot screen:

no spaceship.png

Afuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took my sd card out to see if I have it just to see and now my switch is dead won't turn on wont charge no light from hwfly or anything
sometimes the SD card can be finicky so make sure it's inserted well. then hold the power button for ~15 seconds (though I often find that I have to hold it for longer than that & let it sit for a sec...) to reset the switch

Bradle6

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sometimes the SD card can be finicky so make sure it's inserted well. then hold the power button for ~15 seconds (though I often find that I have to hold it for longer than that & let it sit for a sec...) to reset the switch

Thank you held for about 30 seconds and then pressed power once after and its working again. Phew panic over. Now just need new chip turning it of permanently now

james194zt2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spacecraft v1 is an issue on non-oled chip if mounted on an oled switch, simple as that
Looks that way, and with no easy way in to those mod chips to change them we are left with a load of HWFly bricks! Very annoying considering how much extra they cost.

I have been playing with it, only thing left I can think of is to glitch the GD32 to try and glitch the chip and bypass the flag check for the SWD/JTAG interface so we can get inside the chip again, hopefully then read out it's firmware and possibly flash an updated firmware. Doable but expensive!

Other option is simply replace the GD32, it is an off the shelf part costs about $2 so you could replace it with a blank, upload the bootloader and firmware attached on this thread with a programmer, and in theory be running Spacecraft V2 and with the ability to change firmware in the future. I have ordered 4 of the GD32's used on the HWFly from AliExpress so am going to try that next as I don't have the right hardware to try and glitch it, plus glitching is no use anyway to most people and really is only fun for experimenting.

Might even for fun with the above be able to load SXOS own bootloader on them again, just for a laugh as now SXOS is dead it has no real use.

Reactions: Stryd and BigOnYa

note9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just ordered the hwfly oled version the one on green picture and i was wondering if i can use that on a switch lite by soldering wires directly to the required pads, not looking to mount it inside the case, i just want to load hekate and get the device id to remove parental controls.

or do i need to get a lite version?

iio

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The 5v is from the power management of spacecraft v0.1 ( not compatible with OLED )
You don't understand hardware at all, 3.3v input voltage can only provide and output 3.3v. 3.3v to 5v requires additional boost module. There is no boost module on the hwfly chip. you are a layman

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can see shooting spaceship without inserting a SD card, it's v2.
If you cannot see the spaceship, it's v1.
Wrong.
Interesting, I can see the spaceship but I thought I was on a V1, can we get a confirmation of this maybe?

My BOOT0 looks like below

View attachment 293156
This is Spacecraft v1
My BOOT0 indicates v2 but I do not have the spaceship boot screen:

View attachment 293177
You have spacecraft v2.

The no display issue is because you have memory that isn't trained properly by spacecraft. Micron memory does not train and results in a black screen for example.

You don't understand hardware at all, 3.3v input voltage can only provide and output 3.3v. 3.3v to 5v requires additional boost module. There is no boost module on the hwfly chip. you are a layman
And you don't understand how spacecraft works.

chrisfand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these specific pins always set to 5V while the Switch is running, or is it only during the boot process when the modchip is active?

If it is at all times while the Switch is running, is it possible to set the pins to 3.3v after the Switch has booted through software outside of the modchip?

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are the pins always set to 5V while the Switch is running, or is it only during the boot process?

If it is at all times while the Switch is running, is it possible to set the pins to 3.3v after the Switch has booted through software outside of the modchip?

After the modchip glitches, It stores power management detail within the boot0. By using a non"oled" power management, it sets some lines to 5v where it should not have been

Reactions: mathieulh

chrisfand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the modchip glitches, It stores power management detail within the boot0. By using a non"oled" power management, it sets some lines to 5v where it should not have been
Ah I see.

But my second question remains: is it possible to modify the power management instructions in boot0 using a modified payload after the modchip has finished it's glitching job? So the lines are at least not running at 5V all the time...

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah I see. But my second question remains, is it possible to modify the power management instructions in boot0 using a modified payload after the modchip has finished it's glitching job? So the lines are at least not running at 5V all the time...
that is what I'm thinking for a few days, if we can overwrite the boot0 with newer information after booting up Hekate.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the "old payload" is only sent once right after the glitching process? I am not familiar with spacecraft coding
The modchip writes it's own payload and bct to the eMMC then glitches the pubkey hash check then the bootrom runs that payload as if it were Ns bootloader, then with spacecraft it either chainloads another payload or displays it's rocket thingy. That payload it writes to the eMMC is what does the misconfiguration on aula.

You can modify that payload on the eMMC, but I'd imagine the modchip will overwrite it with the original payload under some circumstances (maybe if glitching failed x number of times or smth).

Reactions: doom95

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also btw I took a look at the sdloader payload that does the misconfiguration, it seems to only run the code to route 5v wherever if it fails to load a payload off the sd card, so it's not as big of an issue as it initially seemed (still should probably avoid using it though).
1641874093166.png

(edit: setup_display leads to display_init, which contains the offending code)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Afuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong.

This is Spacecraft v1

You have spacecraft v2.

The no display issue is because you have memory that isn't trained properly by spacecraft. Micron memory does not train and results in a black screen for example.

And you don't understand how spacecraft works.
Gotcha, then is it possible to train my memory properly for Spacecraft? I'm currently running a Sandisk Extreme microSD.

From your knowledge, should SanDisk cards generally present the 'NO SD' boot screen or the black screen when booting up (or do you know of any other resources to understand Spacecraft's behavior/compatibility with different cards)?

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also btw I took a look at the sdloader payload that does the misconfiguration, it seems to only run the code to route 5v wherever if it fails to load a payload off the sd card, so it's not as big of an issue as it initially seemed (still should probably avoid using it though).
View attachment 293228
(edit: setup_display leads to display_init, which contains the offending code)
A lot of installers in my opinion boot once the install is done, before inserting an sd card to get that no sd message. i know quite a few like that. this explains one of the deaths my friend had

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, then is it possible to train my memory properly for Spacecraft? I'm currently running a Sandisk Extreme microSD.

From your knowledge, should SanDisk cards generally present the 'NO SD' boot screen or the black screen when booting up (or do you know of any other resources to understand Spacecraft's behavior/compatibility with different cards)?
it's not your SD card, it's your consoles RAM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1